is it faster either way to get a visa for:

Sep 19, 2005
for a fiance, or for a couple already married. If you planned to get married for sure, and just went ahead and got married before the other spouse could get any kind of visa. Does that make it eaier and faster to get the visa..

and with question a thought just hit me, can you even apply for a fiance visa if you are already married?...so is there a different visa then for a spouse, or is it just an apllication for a green card? thanks...thinking a little longer terms these days..bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
for a fiance, or for a couple already married. If you planned to get married for sure, and just went ahead and got married before the other spouse could get any kind of visa. Does that make it easier and faster to get the visa..
It used to be faster to get a fiance visa (K1) than a spouse visa (K3). That still may be the case, but someone on another board said that is no longer the case because they are giving priority to processing K3 visas.

Even if that is true, I would still think that the legwork the INS does for a K1 visa is less than that for a K3, mainly because they have an opportunity to do additional legwork when the K1 goes through a status change after they marry.
laurapasinifan said:
and with question a thought just hit me, can you even apply for a fiance visa if you are already married?...
I wouldn't try it. I don't believe there isn't a national registry for marriages in the DR, but I would take a chance.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
for a fiance, or for a couple already married. If you planned to get married for sure, and just went ahead and got married before the other spouse could get any kind of visa. Does that make it eaier and faster to get the visa..

and with question a thought just hit me, can you even apply for a fiance visa if you are already married?...so is there a different visa then for a spouse, or is it just an apllication for a green card? thanks...thinking a little longer terms these days..bob

From the research I have done, I think it's faster to apply for the K-1 visa. And you can't apply for a K-1 visa if you are already married. If you try this, your process can be delayed for a very long time.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Agreed

The Voice said:
From the research I have done, I think it's faster to apply for the K-1 visa. And you can't apply for a K-1 visa if you are already married. If you try this, your process can be delayed for a very long time.
Probably not good for them to decide you're trying to pull a fast one.

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
You cannot apply for a finance visa if you are already married, but you can apply for a K3 Visa which is almost identical to a fiance visa in terms of processing and limitations (having to adjust status in the states, etc.)

I also read a letter that was dated several months ago that indicated that married couples would be getting priority for interviews at the consulate in Santo Domingo.

However, everybody that I know who has been waiting for an appointment has been moving at the same exact speed regardless of application type: K1, K3, CR1...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
yaidani said:
However, everybody that I know who has been waiting for an appointment has been moving at the same exact speed regardless of application type: K1, K3, CR1...
What's a CR1 visa?

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Right now both are moving very slowly. The K1 spends less time at the NVC than the CR1 but the waiting list is very long once it reaches the consulate. The waiting list for both visa types (along with some others) is over 23,000. Both seem to be moving at the same speed. No matter how you look at it, it is taking over a year just to get on the scheduled interview list. Stats are posted on the website Tim referenced above. www.dominicanstotheusa.com

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
LPF: Just go ahead and petition for the K1 visa. It should take about 6 months. In the meantime you will take a couple of trips so you wont miss it too much...

Ah the power of the pu$$y...Amazing what it makes us do...