Cheap trasportation from Santiago Airport to Puerto Plata

x_cop

Nov 26, 2005
I fly from New York to DR really cheap. What are my options to get to Puerto Plata for the least money? Are there guaguas? Taxis? How much do they cost?

Sep 19, 2005
if you factor in the muggings and dry cleaning bill it ends up being more exspensive badpiece33!

seriously though I think it has been said many times , and a search will prove it that, commercially the bus is the cheapest mode. and they are regular from what i have read here in the last 3 months. In between walking and the bus i would add hitchhiking, kinda of a compromise....bob

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
x_cop said:
I fly from New York to DR really cheap. What are my options to get to Puerto Plata for the least money? Are there guaguas? Taxis? How much do they cost?

depending on your arrival time, you can take a public car route PA
that will take you into the city.... from there take another car route
(route A) to rotonda and in there take Javilla Tours bus (cheaper than caribe tours).

this will be the cheapest route to Pto plata.

Route PA in sti airport is outside of airport parking lot. The public car
is across from where cars pay security guard parking fee. You should see a beat up car with PA sticker.... there's another route,, can't remember the route name... but route PA takes into las carreras avenue and from there you can ask where to take route A to La Rotonda and there take javilla tours.

Route PA cost RD$ 20 pesos
Route A cost RD$7- 8 pesos
Javilla Tours RD$ 60 or 65 pesos
Total cost= 88 to 93 pesos (less than $3 dollars) can't beat that.

all 3 routes require that you only have a carry-on.. if you have luggage
then you will have to cab from airport to caribe tours.
approx cost for cab and caribe: 530 pesos (appr $16 dollars).

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Take a cab to Caribe Tours on 27 de Febrero in Santiago and catch a bus. They leave ever hour during the day. In my opinion, its the safest and more cost effective way of doing it. You could do the gua-gua route but with luggage and seeing how much they pack those things full of people, the bus is and would be my choice in this cirsumstance.

If you are up for an adventure and an even cheaper way, take the gua-guas. However, it is hard to pass up the low cost of Caribe Tours bus ticket...a stress free, comfortable and air conditioned ride.