POP Airport

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I will be flying into POP airport in January. My previous two trips this year I flew into STI. Is POP airport as easy to navigate as STI. Is there a Duty Free shop to purchase alcohol on Sunday? Can the Tourist Card be purchased in the states? I will be flying out of EWR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Haven't been to STI, but POP easy to navigagte. Has duty free shops. Liquor available most places on Sunday in the DR.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I've been to both

and to STI just recently. You have nothing to worry about as neither are large airports. They're certainly not LAX, JFK, or anything close, so there's really not much to navigate. The rest Ken has explained.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's much better to buy the Liquor in Sosua or another place. Everything at POP is very expenxive.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Tourist Card

"Can the Tourist Card be purchased in the states? I will be flying out of EWR."

I think the only way to get a tourist card in the U.S. is to be part of a charter flight. It's usually included in their package. Otherwise, you will have to purchase same when you arrive at POP. It's no big deal. Lines move fast. You should be able to be out of the airport in 10 minutes or so.

Enjoy your Domincian experience :)

SB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
Card be purchased in the states? I will be flying out of EWR.
Yes, although you may have to ask them about it. Continental charges $11US, if you buy it in POP, it's $10US.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you plan on visiting more then once then think about buying two tourist cards on this trip so that you can avoid the lines on the next one. Usually the line moves very fast, but if you are arriving at the wrong time (when two other flights are coming in) the line can be long.
Have a great time.

Bob K

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What's the rush?

I have never waited more than 5 minutes in line @ SDQ, POP, or STI.
AMR does not sell them in JFK any longer, CO is usually out of them in EWR.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Bob K said:
If you plan on visiting more then once then think about buying two tourist cards on this trip so that you can avoid the lines on the next one. Usually the line moves very fast, but if you are arriving at the wrong time (when two other flights are coming in) the line can be long.
Have a great time.
Normally, this is good advice, however, they just came out with a new tourist card. They made people that had the old tourist card, fill out another form and wait on another line to exchange to old card. Those that did not have to exchange their card, went on a shorter line.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
rellosk said:
Normally, this is good advice, however, they just came out with a new tourist card. They made people that had the old tourist card, fill out another form and wait on another line to exchange to old card. Those that did not have to exchange their card, went on a shorter line.

What changes have they made to the tourist card?

The new blue and white form is an immigration departure form, you still must have the old green tourist visa to enter, keep the bottom portion and then submit it with the new blue and white when departing. They were handing them out at PUJ and on the bus, they are no cost.

Why another form? Who knows more bureaucratic crap and more paper to be stored somewhere, I actually saw people pass them in half filled out and they were hardly looked at, just placed in a stack with others.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
So if this new form only needs to be handed in when you depart- and you have a green tourist card filled out before you land - then you shouldn't have to queue, right?

I never fill in all of the fields on the tourist card when I go and noone has ever said anything to me!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
What a waste of money that was....

I just got my Tourist Card from DR embassy in London (at ?8 which works out $16) so I don't have to queue when I arrive, now you are saying that is an OLD green tourist card !!! :ermm: :angry:

What is going on ? anyone with more recent firsthand experience..... !

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Uzin said:
I just got my Tourist Card from DR embassy in London (at ?8 which works out $16) so I don't have to queue when I arrive, now you are saying that is an OLD green tourist card !!! :ermm: :angry:

That's exactly what I just did - thought this time around I would be organised and get it from the Dominican Embassy in London beforehand to save myself time.....last time I queued for over half hour because two flights arrived together.

My point was - if the new blue form only has to be filled in for departure then surely you won't have to queue if you already have a green tourist card? Surely they just hand you the blue form when you go through passport control?

I say 'surely' because that would be the logical thing to do.....no doubt that's not the case!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Uzin said:

I'm not sure how more recent or firsthand you can get. My experience was on Friday.

Here's what happened.

• Bought a tourist card in Newark for $11US.
  • Arrived in the DR at SDQ.
  • Waited in the immigration line. When it came to processing me, they said you need to fill out a new tourist card.
  • Left the immigration counter and filled out a new blue tourist form.
  • Waited in another line where they exchanged my green tourist card (both the top and the bottom pieces) and the blue tourist form for a computer generated "ticket". That ticket was stapled to a page in my passport.
  • Yesterday when I left the DR, I waited in the immigration line and the person at the booth gave me another blue immigration form to fill out. He then took the "ticket" from my passport and stamped the blue tourist form.
  • I haded the blue tourist form to the same people that used to take the bottom of the old green tourist card.
Things must be handled differently at the various airport. Hlywud, indicated that when you enter the DR at PUJ they don't take the bottom portion of the tourist, nor the new blue form. In SDQ they take both.

BTW, there was a website printed on the back of the "ticket" where you can provide feedback. Unfortunately, I don't recall the URL.

Sep 19, 2005
well the new cards came out during the thanksgiving holiday, because i bought 2 of the old green style. When i was leaving I had to fill out another card that was white and blue, but i dont think is the same card as the tourist card, its different info. Not 100 % sure because i didnt incure the white blue when I arrived, but needed it to leave. I think it is like the other form you fill out at the airport...there were usually 2 one tourist and the other for some other purpose that you hand in when you depart with your bags out of check out. Also they have a new line for prescreening you checked luggage at STI, its around the corner out of sight of the ticket counters. i put up a fuss over being sent around the corner. i didnt believe it at first, i thought it was another scam to get money. i had to say I was sorry to the poor guy after wards I felt bad.

Tip if you are going to fill out the tourist card on arrival bring a pen. they have maybe one or two only at the counter, and they are taped to the counter....you have to wiat in line to use them......but usually the baggage is so slow it doesnt matter how long it takes you to fill out the card.......bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tourist card follow-up

Per todays DR1 Travel News:

New tourist cards

Hang on to that credit card-sized tourist card you receive when you arrive in the country until departure, or pay a US$10 penalty fee. Some immigration officials are stapling it to passports. The Department of Taxes (DGII) recently started issuing the new cards, reportedly in coordination with a private company. While the procedures for the purchase of the new colored card are simple for the independent traveler, they have created chaos for major tour operators that had purchased large numbers of the old forms for expedite entrance of their passengers. The government has said that the expiration date for the old format is 31 December, but seeing as stock in the hands of several tour operators is enough to last many more weeks, this may have to be extended. The procedure calls for an extra form-filling step but is being implemented to avoid forging and fraudulent sales of the document. The new cards have an electronic chip that activates a card reader when swiped at the airport. Each passenger's information is collected by the passengers filling out an embarkation/disembarkation form. At the present time, the new cards are only for sale at Dominican ports of arrival, but the plan is to distribute them abroad through Dominican government missions.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
It seems I wasted my time buying the Green Tourist Card then, I wish they put something on their UK Embassy website about this new card. But again, it is a source of a few ??, so why should they ?!