What came first, the organics or the marketing machine?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It still surprises me the amount of organic produce the UK consumes.
Especially bananas and especially Dominican bananas.
What drives this growth? Why are organics so popular in the UK?

My first exposure to organic bananas was at "Marks & Spencers".
For those not familiar with the M&S, it's a 120yr old chain retail stores that started out in clothing, but in recent years has expanded into the high end "foodmart" business.

Organic foods appeared to be one way for M&S to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack. Their well oiled marketing machine also did a very good job of marketing this aspect of their business. They needed to, as I remember, organic banana's used to be 50% more expensive than normal bananas. Plus they didn't taste as good and often were smaller than their fertilizer and pesticide feed cousins.

So... what came first? The marketing men or the consumers desire to live the "Good Life"?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Good question. I hope someone who understands the history of organics better than I can answer. Maybe some we should think of for a Green Team blog....

I still say what I said after a post you made recently -- you should writing potential, and should join the Green Team! ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The organics came first - almost as an outflow of a protest movement. Conventional growers and producers and distributors were initially surprised by the grass roots push for organic produce and the marketing machine rolled out.

Keith, perhaps we should (rework and) post that Organics FAQ that I sent to you last week or so. That has the beginnings of the organic movement in short 'soundbites'.