How can the DR better market organics?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As most of us know, the DR lacks any sort of coordinated tourism plan.
This is a very individualistic market and it reminds me of a room full of blind men chasing a chicken.

Some countries have done a very good job of branding their name and their product (the country).

Guatemala is one such country. It's very consistent across all their material, be it tourism or industry. The TV ads I have seen highlight the natural environment and the spirit of the nation. The imagery is very earthy and gives the impression that anything grown in that country must be from mother natures own garden. Basically that Guatemala is the soul of the earth.

I'm sure this type of branding has significantly helped the local organic food producers. Especially if they are using the same logo and identity branding in their own marketing materials.

So, back to the question :)

How can the DR better market organics?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
This is actually a question we had slated for trying to tackle in a future Green Team blog, but not yet even into the brainstorming stage, so this sort of discussion here could be very useful...I hope you get some good ideas. I know we have some people on DR1 involved in marketing, so speak up, people!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'll give away a few secrets.

Governmental
1.Integrated approach. Guatemala is doing it right.
2.Also, green corridors or zones in the DR.
3.The DR could use this as the key differentiator. Not only do we have beaches, mountains, waterfalls etc etc., we are organic.
4. The DR's marketing message (elevator speech) should really be refined.

Private (Hotels, Tourist Destinations)
1. Use organic food themselves
2. Green Marketing Message

Most of all an integrated approach with one differentiating marketing message.

Last edited:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Give it to the politicians

I believe that sugar is still the number one export from the DR to the US and other countries. Since its production is controlled by just a few families, they would rather throw their money at lobbyist than create a well defined marketing program.

Chuckuindy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Just an interesting thing.. my father in law has been collecting the stickers off of the bananas that he bought over the last six months or so for us. (Don't ask, he does stuff like this..) Nary a Dominican Banana in sight in New Jersey for the past six months. I wonder why?
Here is the list -

Chiquita - Honduras
Chiquita - Costa Rica
Chiquita - Guatemala
Banacol - Colombia
Banacol - Costa Rica
Dole - Costa Rica
Del Monte - Colombia
Bonita - Ecuador
Turbana - Colombia
5 to 10 a day - no country mentioned
Cabana - no country mentioned

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I think that going back to that earthy image would help the DR market organics. People who eat organic food want to have a conscious idea of where that food comes from. I would say lush, verdant, clean images and very colorful images are very appealing and appetizing. "De semilla a cena"--if you can follow your food from the beginning to the end, that is a very strong message to send to the consumer. Most food you would not even WANT to see it from beginning to end...scary.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MaineGirl said:
I think that going back to that earthy image would help the DR market organics. People who eat organic food want to have a conscious idea of where that food comes from. I would say lush, verdant, clean images and very colorful images are very appealing and appetizing. "De semilla a cena"--if you can follow your food from the beginning to the end, that is a very strong message to send to the consumer. Most food you would not even WANT to see it from beginning to end...scary.

The challenge for the DR is not in marketing organics for the local market, but in being able to meet the stringent stardards already defined for these products by export markets, in our case the US market. The question is how to meet cost effectively the requirements defined by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), most of which can be found in their official site titled, National Organic Program:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/indexIE.htm

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
In point of fact, Mirador, the US certification standards tend to be less stringent than those of some of the European official programs, and much less than many of the private programs. For example, the official US standards allow some chemical pesticides and some artificial growing aids, whereas most of the private programs do not.

I think maybe the DR could use a turbo-charged version of this old site promoting Dominican coffee: http://www.dominicancoffee.com/quality.html

Regards,
Keith R

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Keith R said:
In point of fact, Mirador, the US certification standards tend to be less stringent than those of some of the European official programs, and much less than many of the private programs. For example, the official US standards allow some chemical pesticides and some artificial growing aids, whereas most of the private programs do not. I think maybe the DR could use a turbo-charged version of this old site promoting Dominican coffee: http://www.dominicancoffee.com/quality.html Regards, Keith R

In the coffee link my cousin's company is listed as an exporter, when in fact she (doña Flerida vda Americo Melo) hasn't exported in over ten years. Recently she told me that her entire coffee production goes to Rafaelito Perelló's INDUBAN who has cornered about 85% of the market. Also, she was recently contacted by a US company interested in introducing a genetically enhanced (GM) variety in her extensive coffee plantations located in Bahoruco mountain.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Mirador said:
In the coffee link my cousin's company is listed as an exporter, when in fact she (do?a Flerida vda Americo Melo) hasn't exported in over ten years. Recently she told me that her entire coffee production goes to Rafaelito Perell?'s INDUBAN who has cornered about 85% of the market. Also, she was recently contacted by a US company interested in introducing a genetically enhanced (GM) variety in her extensive coffee plantations located in Bahoruco mountain.
Mirador, as in Am?rico Melo & Co., C.porA? Aw, man! One of the next posts in the Green Team blog concerns what people outside the DR can do to support Dominican organics, and it included a contact information list of exporters for various organic commodities people can contact to find out how to get the Dominican products in their country. For the most part, that list consists of information provided by CEI-RD. On that list is Am?rico Melo & Co., C.porA... Makes me wonder what other mistakes the list might have. Sigh.

Regards,
Keith

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Mirador said:
The challenge for the DR is not in marketing organics for the local market, but in being able to meet the stringent stardards already defined for these products by export markets, in our case the US market. The question is how to meet cost effectively the requirements defined by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), most of which can be found in their official site titled, National Organic Program:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/indexIE.htm

I understand how hard it is having grown up on a certified organic farm. However, I think my point was more at how to market for export. I have very strong images in my mind of two countries and their products: Chile and Colombia. They have been successful at their marketing, at least with me, since I can actually recall commercials touting Chilean fruit and Colombian coffee. So my ideas were more for how to send the DR organic message home in a US market.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
That's true, Chris. The US already has significant organic production right at home. Most of the products I buy are from California.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chris said:
The European Union will keep the preferential quota of the Dominican banana exports.

http://www.freshplaza.com/2005/05dec/2_eu_do-bananapreference.htm
Yes, but the question is, how long can the DR count on that continuing? I would think that the DR needs to further diversify its organic export markets, perhaps targeting not only the US and Canada, but even some of its Caribbean and Latin American trading partners?