Citizenship Questions

pb74

Nov 17, 2005
I would appreciate if someone could provide answers to the following quetions:

1. What is the minimum residency period for acquiring DR citizenship? Any difference with investment in business or residence?

2. Is a person allowed to make short visits to the U.S while maintaining this residence.

3. Does DR citizenship require giving up ones previous citizenship?

4. What are the tax implications for DR citizenship. Income and/or estate taxes.

5. What kind of worldwide income is taxed if any for Residents and non resident DR citizens?

PB

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
1. What is the minimum residency period for acquiring DR citizenship? Any difference with investment in business or residence?

6months

2. Is a person allowed to make short visits to the U.S while maintaining this residence.Yes.

3. Does DR citizenship require giving up ones previous citizenship? No.

4. What are the tax implications for DR citizenship. Income and/or estate taxes. A Dominican citizen will pay income taxes on: (a) all Dominican-source income and (b) income from financial investments abroad after their third year of residency in the country (Articles 269 and 271 of the Tax Code). Tax rate goes from 15% to 30% for income in excess of approx. $30,000 US after the tax reform bill passed this week. Estate taxes were reduced to 3% last year.

5. What kind of worldwide income is taxed if any for Residents and non resident DR citizens?Residents pay only on their income from financial investments abroad (see above). Non-residents don't pay.

funckytown

Apr 17, 2005
Wiesbaden, Germany, Germany
DR citizenship and Residence?

Fabio J. Guzman said:

6months

Hello,
I do not quite understand...
what is the DR citizenship, and the
Temporary or Permanent Residence?

The difference?
thanks

funcky

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
First step to obtain your provisional residency. After a year as a provisional resident, you obtain your permanent residency. After 6 months to 2 years being a permanent resident, you may apply for citizenship.

upsetdaughter

Jan 7, 2006
Marriage

If a US Citizen marries a DR citizen, do they automatically become a DR Citizen due to this marriage if they reside in the DR? Also, can this person still keep dual citizenship? Is there a lenght of time to keep dual citizenship?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Marriage to a Dominican does not grant the foreign spouse automatic citizenship in the DR.

The wife of a Dominican citizen may become naturalized through an expedited process by virtue of Article 11 of the Dominican Constitution.

The husband of a Dominican citizen does not benefit from this provision.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
You may have answered this one before.

Curious to know if the children (born in the US) of a Dominican who's married to a non-Dominican still qualify as DR citizens?

ftsnow

Jan 8, 2006
Income tax on Investments

Mr. Guzman wrote-

4. What are the tax implications for DR citizenship. Income and/or estate taxes. A Dominican citizen will pay income taxes on: (a) all Dominican-source income and (b) income from financial investments abroad after their third year of residency in the country (Articles 269 and 271 of the Tax Code). Tax rate goes from 15% to 30% for income in excess of approx. $30,000 US after the tax reform bill passed this week. Estate taxes were reduced to 3% last year.

5. What kind of worldwide income is taxed if any for Residents and non resident DR citizens?Residents pay only on their income from financial investments abroad (see above). Non-residents don't pay.[/QUOTE]
--------------------

Is it better then to remain a resident and never go for citizenship? That is if your now going to start being charged 30% taxes on investments?

CaliforniaGeorge

Nov 20, 2005
per previous posts on other threads:

after you are a resident for 3 years you are subject to taxation for for investment income from abroad but exclusive of social security and pension income per a post by Mr. Guzman:

#29 Today, 06:24 AM
Fabio J. Guzman
DR1 Expert Join Date: Jan 2002

Pensions and Social Security benefits from abroad are in fact exempt from the provisions of Article 269 of the Tax Code. Article 2 of the Regulations for the Aplication of Title II of the Tax Code (Reglamento #139-98) lists what is meant by ?inversiones y ganancias financieras?. Pensions and Social Security are not included in the list.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Don Juan said:
Curious to know if the children (born in the US) of a Dominican who's married to a non-Dominican still qualify as DR citizens?

They are entitled to Dominican citizenship but this is not automatic. They must apply. Until they do so they are not Dominicans.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Dolores said:
They are entitled to Dominican citizenship but this is not automatic. They must apply. Until they do so they are not Dominicans.

Ah, so! Thank you for the insight, Dolores.
Since there's a DR consulate here in Washington,DC., I wonder if the citizenship procedures -for my children- can be initiated from right here? Or do we need to be there? Hmmm. guess I'll call to find out. Or, do you know? Thanks again.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Fabio Guzman, the moderator of this board, would know best, probably has done this recently for a client, but in my experience if you go to the consulate in the US you will just duplicate work. You can do it all here. Unless you are in a rush, if I were you, I would visit Interior & Policia, the department that deals with this on your next visit to the country to pick up information on the most recent way they are handling this. If you are in a rush or do not want the hassle, have a lawyer handle this for you.

See http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37581&page=2&highlight=Dominican+citizenship

P

pedroA

Clarification please

Fabio J. Guzman said:
Marriage to a Dominican does not grant the foreign spouse automatic citizenship in the DR.

The wife of a Dominican citizen may become naturalized through an expedited process by virtue of Article 11 of the Dominican Constitution.

The husband of a Dominican citizen does not benefit from this provision.

Sr Guzman, as the wife of a Dominican, I will soon move to the DR with my husband (after living 25 years in Canada) does that mean that I will be able to apply for citizenship without having to go through the temporary & permanent residency status?? And can my application for naturalization be done in Canada, before I leave, or should I wait until we are settled in the DR??

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Fabio, my question is, now that I have had DR permanent residency, and lived here for a relatively long time, and have a dominican spouse and children, if I DO apply for Dominican citizenship, .....

in your experience , does my application just go to the bottom of an eternal pile of other citizenship applications, or can I reasonably expect to be given dominican citizenship sometime before I die, having been a model citizen with no police records, started companies here, paid taxes here, etc.?????

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Followup for Sr. Guzman

Also, if citizenship is not difficult to obtain, roughly how much would the process cost using a reputable attorney?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Fabio, is citizenship a likely expectation based on my question above, and how long would it take?

Jan 21, 2006
Interested as well in this..

pedroA said:
Sr Guzman, as the wife of a Dominican, I will soon move to the DR with my husband (after living 25 years in Canada) does that mean that I will be able to apply for citizenship without having to go through the temporary & permanent residency status?? And can my application for naturalization be done in Canada, before I leave, or should I wait until we are settled in the DR??

Almost the same situation here with my friend... but she lives here with her husband and has her residency but has only been a temporary resident - she should be able to skip all this waiting and residency process because she is now married to him, what is the first step?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The wife of a Dominican citizen may request naturalization without having to become a resident first. Filing for citizenship should be done at the Ministry of Interior in Santo Domingo.

tropicalsun

Apr 29, 2006
non-resident taxes

Fabio J. Guzman said:
..snip

5. What kind of worldwide income is taxed if any for Residents and non resident DR citizens?Residents pay only on their income from financial investments abroad (see above). Non-residents don't pay.

Just to verify. A DR citizen (non-resident) does NOT pay income taxes on foreign investments?