Dominican population in the DC area?

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Hello I'm DCKenny I grew up in the Washington DC area all my life. I know the DC area is diverse with all kinds of nationalities but I'm curious how big is the Dominican population in the DC area?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Wish I knew.

My understanding is that it isn't very large. 2-3 thousands perhaps? I'm just guessing. I talk to paisanos while waiting for my take out food at manna restaurant and the general consensus is that there are way too few of us here
I've lived in this area for many, many years and the only Hispanics I meet are primarily from Mexico and Central-America specially Salvadoreans.
I've met more Dominicans in Takoma park, Maryland than all of DC or VA.

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
I read somewhere that Dominican population in the DC is over 15,000 but you're talking about the city itself probably about 3,000 at least.

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
I currently reside in suburban maryland. From what I gather about dominicans in the d.c. metro area, the community is few in number. Within d.c. you'll find a few dominicans in the mount pleasant & adams morgan neighborhood. There's nothing close to a washington heights, instead dominicans there live primarily among el slavadoreans(the largest hispanic group in the region). In the d.c. metro area dominicans are concentrated in cleaning jobs, fast food and restaraunt work etc...

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Probably about 10 or 15 years form now they will be a larger dominican community in the DC metro area.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
There are about 15,000 Dominicans in VA/MD/DC. Check the population charts in voter capacity report published by DANR. www.danr.org.
I also have a briefing report I on Dominicans but I currently do not have access to it. I'm still working in the South and am not sure when I'll be returning home.
Best

Chino

Dec 31, 2005
You can count me among the Dominicanos population in DC area. I reside in Burke, VA. I've been here since Aug 05. I haven't met any of my people. If anyone knows of any special event or social meeting or domino game, let me know.

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Burke VA is part of the DC metro area it's near Springfield VA! I believe Dominicans live heavy in Montgomery County!

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
How big is the Dominican community in Gaithersburg? I know Gaithersburg is far from DC!

JackVeneno

Jan 6, 2005
Count me in too, I use to live in Mclean, VA (Tysons corner) now I'm in Sterling, VA. I havent seen many Dominicans here either and the only restaurant that I know of is Mana which is in Tacoma park near flower st.

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
I can't give you an exact percentage, BUT I can say that I see at least 10-15 Dominican Flags in cars as I drive through on my way to Rockville. We are still out numbered by the Salvadorean community regardless. Gaithersburg isn't to far from DC. 495 to 270 will get you up here with the cows, pick up trucks, and cars blasting Reggaeton in 20 to 30 minutes! :classic:

DCKenny said:
How big is the Dominican community in Gaithersburg? I know Gaithersburg is far from DC!