I've Got An Attorney Now. Yay!!

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
Hey everyone! Now I have an attorney to take care of my (Provisional) residency paperwork and everything. He's charging $1,000 USD ($500 now, and $500 at the end when the Residency Permit is ready).

Is this a good price?

Also, are there any laws that allow residents (non-citizen)join the military there in DR? I am working on my Commercial Pilots License here in USA, and would like to fly for the AirForce there.

Thanks!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
slimshade328 said:
Also, are there any laws that allow residents (non-citizen)join the military there in DR? I am working on my Commercial Pilots License here in USA, and would like to fly for the AirForce there. Thanks!

If you want to fly for the DR AirForce you will have to bring your own.

Factoid:- In 1955 the DR AirForce had about 250 aircrafts and 3500 personnel. Today, the DR AirForce has no combat aircrafts, for 'training' purposes 4 Schweizer 333 and 7 ENAER T-35B Pillan, for 'rescue missions' a medley of vintage and more recent hellicopters (including about 10 Bell Hueys, 8 BellCanada CH-136 Kiowa, and a rented Bell 430), and for 'transport' 3 Casa 212-400. The total current personnel figure is a closely guarded classified government secret ;-)

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
If you join the dominican military you lose your american citizenship.

And if you wanted to fly for an AirForce why not in the US where they have planes.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
A.J. said:
And if you wanted to fly for an AirForce why not in the US where they have planes.
He has a criminal record. I'm not sure if the US military accepts people with criminal records. Remember Alice's Restaurant?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I forgot about that thread.

He would still have to give up his US citizenship if he joined the dominican military.

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
How long did it take you, Conchman, to get the residency permits?

Rellosk: Yes, that is why I cannot join here. I have always wanted to serve in the military, but because I was a little too interested in fraud at a younger age, my record makes it impossible to ever make that dream a reality. I basically want to join a military and to serve the country (fly = increase my number of flight hours at their expense rather than at my own also!).

How would I lose my own citizenship? I thought I would only if I beared arms against USA. I would never do that.

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
Interpol Check

Hey Gang: I just finished talking to my new lawyer and he says that even though he can get my Police Certificate from Dominican Police rather than to have me obtain a US Police Certificate, he is not sure if my convictions will be listed in Interpol. I don't have any outstanding warrants or anything, plus I'm not sure if USA reports to Interpol.

Does anybody know if fraud is listed in Interpol (from USA)? The system is said to house only a number of countries' records, and USA wasn't among them, hence the big FBI database we have here; and the fact that FBI doesn't share it's repository with any other agencies.

I just basically wanna know if I'm going to be wasting my time applying or what?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
If you check your passport under the section that says loss of citizenship it states that you can lose your citizenship by (a) beiing natulized in a foriegn state (b) taking an oath or making a declaration to a foriegn state (3) serving in the armed forces of a foreign state.

One case where this does not apply is if you have dual citizenship and part of your citizenship military service is required.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
slimshade328 said:
Okay, I see.

Any word on the Interpol check regarding American fraud convictions?
I don't have an answer, but I get the feeling that they only maintain information for wanted felons.

Go to their website, you may find an answer there.

If you don't find your answer on their website, you could always send them an email with your question.

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
i doubt i'll have any troubles, actually. I'm going to apply anyway. Plus, they do the Interpol even for the Provisional Residency right.? If it is not on my record at that point, then I should have no troubles when I go for the permanent residency.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
that was so funny ........the thought that if one wishes to join an airforce that they must bring there own 300 million dollar plane! you made my night!
lord help the guy that wants to join the navy!!!!!!!

Mirador said:
If you want to fly for the DR AirForce you will have to bring your own.

Factoid:- In 1955 the DR AirForce had about 250 aircrafts and 3500 personnel. Today, the DR AirForce has no combat aircrafts, for 'training' purposes 4 Schweizer 333 and 7 ENAER T-35B Pillan, for 'rescue missions' a medley of vintage and more recent hellicopters (including about 10 Bell Hueys, 8 BellCanada CH-136 Kiowa, and a rented Bell 430), and for 'transport' 3 Casa 212-400. The total current personnel figure is a closely guarded classified government secret ;-)

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Awe hell mate, you may aswell bear arms against your own.... everyone else will be soon anyways!!!!!!!!

slimshade328 said:
How long did it take you, Conchman, to get the residency permits?

Rellosk: Yes, that is why I cannot join here. I have always wanted to serve in the military, but because I was a little too interested in fraud at a younger age, my record makes it impossible to ever make that dream a reality. I basically want to join a military and to serve the country (fly = increase my number of flight hours at their expense rather than at my own also!).

How would I lose my own citizenship? I thought I would only if I beared arms against USA. I would never do that.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
A.J. said:
I forgot about that thread.

He would still have to give up his US citizenship if he joined the dominican military.

Which government requires the person to give up it citizenship. If it is the Dominican I doubt it has any pull.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
A.J. said:
the US government

Not exactly;

But doesn't serving in a foreign army result in automatic loss of US citizenship?

No. As explained above, essentially nothing causes automatic loss of US citizenship any more. If you join a foreign army, you can lose your US citizenship if you acted with the intent of giving it up. Otherwise, you can still keep it.

Current US law says that foreign military service will result in loss of US citizenship if the person served as an officer (commissioned or non-commissioned) or the foreign military force is engaged in hostilities against the US; the service was voluntary; and (most importantly) the person intended to give up his US citizenship.

Current US policy goes further. Unless a dual citizen is serving in a "policy level position" in a foreign government, commits treason against the US (e.g., by fighting the US voluntarily during wartime), or acts in a manner considered totally inconsistent with any possible intent to keep US citizenship, the State Department is unlikely to take any action. Further, the current policy statement on foreign military service recognizes that dual citizens sometimes find themselves legally obligated to participate in the military forces of their other country of citizenship, and can do so in such situations without endangering their US status.