Drive time SDQ to Las Terrenas

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
I know roads are subject to change by the time we're back in June, but what's the apx drive time from SDQ to Las Terrenas? Last summer we flew into POP but, so far, that is looking cost prohibitive for this upcoming summer.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
3 1/2 hours, maybe more, if you have to go through Santo Domingo at rush hour, and a bit more if you drive at cautious speeds.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Cautious????? Somehow....I think not! Would be leaving SDQ apx 14:30. Going straight to Las Terrenas (unless I suddenly head your way for Ribs!!). That schedule should avoid the rush hour, shouldn't it? By the by, what is the best route? I assume main road (3) through SD, 1 past Bonao, 132 to San Fran, over to Nagua, 5 to Sanchez, etc. Is there a better way?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is the best way. Nobody here knows the numbers of the national road system.
However, I think 3 1/2 hours is being very generous.
Let me see.
Airport to Santo Domingo (east side of the river) 30-40 minutes?
Cross Santo Domingo to Duarte Highway- 45 minutes
To entrance to San Francisco- 1 hour
San Francisco to Nagua - 1 hour
Nagua -> Las Terrenas - 1 hour

I'd say 4:30 would be making good time...maybe a little less....depends on how you drive, plus the construction that is going on can cause tie ups.

HB :D:D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gagilmer said:
Cautious????? Somehow....I think not! Would be leaving SDQ apx 14:30. Going straight to Las Terrenas (unless I suddenly head your way for Ribs!!). That schedule should avoid the rush hour, shouldn't it? By the by, what is the best route? I assume main road (3) through SD, 1 past Bonao, 132 to San Fran, over to Nagua, 5 to Sanchez, etc. Is there a better way?
That's the route I would take, although somebody may have a better suggestion.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Sounds like the route to take. I was thinking more like 4.5 hours. As far as how I drive.... Driving there is somewhat like a cross between a pinball machine and a video game. Trip there was 4 months ago and I'm still trying to adjust back to US road rules! Have had way too many "So, where's the fire?" conversations with the Boys In Blue of late. Thanks for the info guys. See ya soon...though not soon enough.