Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best neighborhoods to live in Santiago...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best neighborhoods to live in Santiago...

Best nieghborhoods to live in Santiago...any other places besides los cerros?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We know AZB will have an opinion or two on this.

My favorite is Los Jardines - centrally located to everything

Post Thanks / Like

Los Cerros is probably the most "Expensive" but I would not say that it is the "Best" ...

What's that old saw? "Location, location, location?"

La Esmeralda, La Trinitaria and Los Jardines Metropolitanos offer a lot. They are close to everything: Schools, shopping, downtown, restaurants. They are sufficiently expensive so as to keep a lot of the riffraft out...It is funny, but low-class people do not generally go where there are more educated and cultured folks...they feel "out of place" ....These three areas are very family oriented...

There is a new area developing, called "El Dorado", to the east of town, out past E. León Jiménes...mostly apartments but also a nice area.

And, there is an area in Gurabo and Jacagua that is growing popular with those that want to get away from the "madding crowd"....But they are far away from everything else, too.

HB

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Jacagua a lot. I remember going there as a little boy. It's amazing how much development is going on over there. Back in the 80s and early 90s there was nothing going on over there.
    Last edited by Rick Snyder; 04-13-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing how much development is occuring everywhere in this country!

Forget Jacagua, think EVERYWHERE!

It takes money to build anything, even a little shack and people are building and building.

Who said people have no money here?!

There are homes, shacks, stores, development in places where there was none when I was a kid!

Think Cabarete, the most obvious of transformations!

-NAL
    Last edited by Rick Snyder; 04-13-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only lived in La Zurza, so my scope is somewhat limited. It is a great family neighborhood though. There are no businesses in the neighborhood, and that keeps thru trafic and "rif-raff" out. It is clean, quiet and neighborly, close enough to all important locations and overall very charming.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So in these nice neighborhoods what does one pay for rent for a decent apartment? I am under the impression that housing is less than in santo domingo.....but how much less?

Ballpark is fine. . . .

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The best neighborhoods in Santiago are; La zurza, la esmeralda, las colinas,
    el ensueno, los girasol there is a place called urbanizacion las antillas real estate in las antillas is prime. I love this neighborhood.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The best neighborhoods in Santiago are; La zurza, la esmeralda, las colinas,
    el ensueno, los girasol there is a place called urbanizacion las antillas real estate in las antillas is prime. I love this neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like

La Zurza is fine, and as Redscot pointed out there is not much commerce there. This has reduced traffic and made it safer for kids.
    This was true for Los Jardines Metropolitanos 15-20 years ago, but the place has become a commercial mecca and traffic is getting to be a problem.
    La Esmeralda is a fine place to live, no doubt. The area between Calle Ponce, Ave Argentina, Ave 27 de Febrero and Estrella Sadhalá is peopled by professionals and hard working folk. It has a couple of nice schools, Padre Fortin and Las Americas and a flock of day care places for babies and toddlers.
    Las Colinas is questionable as to being a "best" place...it is on the far (poorer) side of Santiago, next to poorer ares such as Los Salados, Ensanche Libertad and others. Mostly lower middle class with good people, but not economically powerful. The success or failure of the new Las Colinas Mall will tell us a lot about the future of the area. It may well become "gentrified" one of these days.

El Ensueño is the same deal. It is next to Nibaje, removed from the center of commerce, and "in a hole" below the level of the rest of Santiago-geographically speaking.

Los Girasoles? Does not pop into my memory. Where is it?

HB

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast