Best neighborhoods to live in Santiago...

Sal R

Dec 1, 2005
Best nieghborhoods to live in Santiago...any other places besides los cerros?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
We know AZB will have an opinion or two on this.

My favorite is Los Jardines - centrally located to everything

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Los Cerros is probably the most "Expensive" but I would not say that it is the "Best" ...

What's that old saw? "Location, location, location?"

La Esmeralda, La Trinitaria and Los Jardines Metropolitanos offer a lot. They are close to everything: Schools, shopping, downtown, restaurants. They are sufficiently expensive so as to keep a lot of the riffraft out...It is funny, but low-class people do not generally go where there are more educated and cultured folks...they feel "out of place" ....These three areas are very family oriented...

There is a new area developing, called "El Dorado", to the east of town, out past E. Le?n Jim?nes...mostly apartments but also a nice area.

And, there is an area in Gurabo and Jacagua that is growing popular with those that want to get away from the "madding crowd"....But they are far away from everything else, too. :(

HB :D:D

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I like Jacagua a lot. I remember going there as a little boy. It's amazing how much development is going on over there. Back in the 80s and early 90s there was nothing going on over there.

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's amazing how much development is occuring everywhere in this country!

Forget Jacagua, think EVERYWHERE!

It takes money to build anything, even a little shack and people are building and building.

Who said people have no money here?! :surprised

There are homes, shacks, stores, development in places where there was none when I was a kid!

Think Cabarete, the most obvious of transformations!

-NAL:classic:

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
I have only lived in La Zurza, so my scope is somewhat limited. It is a great family neighborhood though. There are no businesses in the neighborhood, and that keeps thru trafic and "rif-raff" out. It is clean, quiet and neighborly, close enough to all important locations and overall very charming.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
So in these nice neighborhoods what does one pay for rent for a decent apartment? I am under the impression that housing is less than in santo domingo.....but how much less?

Ballpark is fine. . . .

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
The best neighborhoods in Santiago are; La zurza, la esmeralda, las colinas,
el ensueno, los girasol there is a place called urbanizacion las antillas real estate in las antillas is prime. I love this neighborhood.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
The best neighborhoods in Santiago are; La zurza, la esmeralda, las colinas,
el ensueno, los girasol there is a place called urbanizacion las antillas real estate in las antillas is prime. I love this neighborhood.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
La Zurza is fine, and as Redscot pointed out there is not much commerce there. This has reduced traffic and made it safer for kids.
This was true for Los Jardines Metropolitanos 15-20 years ago, but the place has become a commercial mecca and traffic is getting to be a problem.
La Esmeralda is a fine place to live, no doubt. The area between Calle Ponce, Ave Argentina, Ave 27 de Febrero and Estrella Sadhal? is peopled by professionals and hard working folk. It has a couple of nice schools, Padre Fortin and Las Americas and a flock of day care places for babies and toddlers.
Las Colinas is questionable as to being a "best" place...it is on the far (poorer) side of Santiago, next to poorer ares such as Los Salados, Ensanche Libertad and others. Mostly lower middle class with good people, but not economically powerful. The success or failure of the new Las Colinas Mall will tell us a lot about the future of the area. It may well become "gentrified" one of these days.

El Ensue?o is the same deal. It is next to Nibaje, removed from the center of commerce, and "in a hole" below the level of the rest of Santiago-geographically speaking.

Los Girasoles? Does not pop into my memory. Where is it?

HB :D:D:D

JackVeneno

Jan 6, 2005
Back in 1995 I use to live in Altos de Rafey and I remember that area being very nice but I dont know now. My parents own a house there and they are both in the states and say that it's very hard to sell even at below market value. Does anyone know what this urbanizacion? whats your views on it? I will be visiting the DR finally after 10 years and would like to help them sell it but I dont think theres much I can do if that area is consider bad now..

La Zurza is ok, just not top of the list.
La Esmeralda is nice.
Growing up I used to live in a big house in Los Salados (that is near Las Colinas) and that was an OK place, but now is very bad, so is las Colinas.
Los Girasoles is near Avenida Yapur Dumit and is also OK.
Las Antillas is near La Rotonda del Ensanche Libertad, but is a better place than Barrio Libertad, that's for sure.
I live now in La Trinitaria and this is a VERY NICE, UPPER Class place to live.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Hillbilly said:
La Zurza is fine, and as Redscot pointed out there is not much commerce there. This has reduced traffic and made it safer for kids.
This was true for Los Jardines Metropolitanos 15-20 years ago, but the place has become a commercial mecca and traffic is getting to be a problem.
La Esmeralda is a fine place to live, no doubt. The area between Calle Ponce, Ave Argentina, Ave 27 de Febrero and Estrella Sadhal? is peopled by professionals and hard working folk. It has a couple of nice schools, Padre Fortin and Las Americas and a flock of day care places for babies and toddlers.
Las Colinas is questionable as to being a "best" place...it is on the far (poorer) side of Santiago, next to poorer ares such as Los Salados, Ensanche Libertad and others. Mostly lower middle class with good people, but not economically powerful. The success or failure of the new Las Colinas Mall will tell us a lot about the future of the area. It may well become "gentrified" one of these days.

El Ensue?o is the same deal. It is next to Nibaje, removed from the center of commerce, and "in a hole" below the level of the rest of Santiago-geographically speaking.

Los Girasoles? Does not pop into my memory. Where is it?

it's located not too far from Jaipur Dumit avenue

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
La trinitaria

Virginia Gomez

I am going down to Santiago in a couple of weeks to check out some apartments in La Trinitaria. Any input would be appreciated about the neighborhood, or any other comparable. I just recall this place as being a nice area I used to pass by...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This has to be the area between Ave Argentina and Juan Pablo Duarte. That is to say the area in back of the Ayuntamiento. That is where the apartments are. Lots of them and very expensive. May well be one of the nicest places to live.

HB:D:D

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
Hi, we live in Trinitaria. We like the area. There are a few apartments around here for sale and for rent, especially around the water tower just above the ayuntamiento. We live at Las Bromelias; our electricity, water, security and apartment management are all good. Also, unless the ayuntamiento has a concert going on, it's not that noisy--most evenings are quiet. Hope this helps, Bob and Judy

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I live El reparto Universitario by the main gate, my brother apartment building in La Surza... the Catholic University is a bad neighbor when they have an event these areas hear all...from begining to the end they are all within a mile .... think of a rock consert... I made a mistake thinking it be a peaceful area. party time can start at nine and end at daylight the next day. and after they run out of music the drunk step up to the mike to sing.. these events occur from Chistmas and New Year.. I would have choosen a red light district and expected this type of event. La Trinitaria is between here and Surza. I would have kill to get some sleep in my own home. Expensive does not guarrantee pleaceful be ready for the events... otherwise it quite safe and secure in this area. there is a security system that petrol these areas and they are worth the fee.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I certainly hope that you are not one of the hundreds of people that use the university for walking inthe morning and evening! :ermm:

Perhaps the one or two events held at the outdoor theater might bother you but certainly not between Christmas and New Years!! Those are your Dominican York neighbors celebrating.

And that is La Zurza, not Surza.

Youshould live in Pueblo Nuevo.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
Villa Olga and La Moraleja seem like very nice neighborhoods. They have a few restaurants like Mezzaluna and Nano's with a few other small cafe's but do not have the commercial feeling.