Lazy, useless, poor, dishonest barrio people

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How many times have you heard this on DR1? Have many times have a number of posters alluded to these opinions and "don't associate with them "
Well, I want to share with you an experience that is in the makings and where its going to go I dont know but it sure is an interesting ride.
About four months ago I decided that I needed another challenge in my otherwise nutty life so I thought I would test my abilities to start a small enterprise with these lazy, useless, poor uneducated people. Could it be possible that all that is said about them is true? Would I be ripped off? Remember, I'm the stupid gringo from NY that can't sit still at the beach, I need something to keep me busy throughout the daytime.

The players: (1) 23 year old Dominican with a background in electronics (mainly cell phones) (2) Dominicanas with limited education living in one the toughest slums of SD (1) fellow board member (1) Dominican worker of mine NYC. (1) stupid gringo that thinks he can beat the system in the DR and get satisfaction that he did.

I wanted to put together a group of stores,(probably 4 ) mainly communications (calls, web cams, cell phone sales, repairs etc) that have some unique ties to the Dominican community here in NYC. (I'd rather not get into this aspect of the business right now but I will share this with you in about a month)

First steps--find a local. With the help of a friend here in NY who went to SD in Aug. we found what was right for us. Enter barrio Dom. woman #1 who negogiated the lease. One Dominicana to another. She told the landlord you're not dealing with the gringo your're dealing with me. Case closed. Lease signed for a quarter of the rent the L.L> wanted

Enter fellow board member. Store design and construction all Dominicans with the help of the (2) uneducated, dishonest, etc. ladies. Design, construction. etc, almost complete. Its beautiful.
Need an electrical contract. What the hell do the 2 women from the barrio know about electrical contracts? Hell they don't even pay for their electric. But they know a couple of thing. They know where the office is. They know they want this opportunity to work. Three trips later this past week to the electric company--electric account opened this week.

Dsl--no prob. handled by 23yo Dom. Daily chores details etc--every day two ladies on the gua gua to the office or the store. Not educated. You bet perhaps in your terms. Poor? You bet but seeing the light as to how to bail out. Dishonest? I dont think so but cant explain that in public forum but have a LOT of sustantation.

I can go on and on but its not time yet its too early in the game. Do I think its going to work? Yes-big time because of some unique ideas I have for this biz here in NY with the Dom. community and with 4 hardworking people in SD.

Now for for comments and questions.
1) why are you doing this?
I get bored easily and biz comes easy to me. If I loose my money - not important but if I loose because of a poor concept shame on me.

2) Do I have a GF in the DR?
No.

3) Have I read all the warnings on DR1?
Yes. Too many.

4) Are you freacking crazy?
Might be.

5) When will we hear from you next?
In about one month when I have more to report. In the meantime pleeeeese don't reaffirm that I am crazy, send addtional warning, or ask me if I am in love.
All other intelligent comments or questions may or not be answered by this crazy gringo.

JOHN

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
This is great. We usually only see the results of financial suicidal impulses after the end result.

Last edited:

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
HOWMAR said:
This is great. We usually only see the results of suicidal impulses after the end result.

Then why is it great? Because we are going to see blood soon?:rambo:

Jokes aside, congratulations! The world would be much different with more people like you. (maybe more blood in the streets?):lick:

Jess

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Poor barrio people become lazy, useless, and dishonest when a gringo throws money at them and expects them to produce. Supervised, directed, and taught properly they will work hard and produce. The key is not to be an absentee owner.

Good luck in your endeavour.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
IT seems to me you are doing some things differently then most. I will watch to see what happens! Good luck.....

Sep 19, 2005
I thought I was the stupid gringo from NY.....how much am I making working for you?

some people have learned that you dont bite the hand that feeds you , especially if the food is better than what you had been accustomed to!

people work harder when they think they are important, and have an impact, and are appreciated

Best of luck

bob

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
An Exciting Time...

I would love to hear about your successes and your failures as you develop your business.

Best of luck!
Helpmann :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
No surprise he is doing busines with barrio folks, name one visiting gringo (not resident gringo) who even knows any decent dominicans who don't live in a barrio? The truth is almost 100% visiting gringos only know barrio folks, So what is so surprising about john doing business with barrio folks? Nothing at all.
AZB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
gawd, it seems you really have a hang-up about this. Does it bother you so much? Its obvious that gringo's will be hanging out with poorer folks since 1) 90% of the population is poor 2) the poorer folk have more contact with tourists e.g. animation teams, store clerks, street vendors, etc 3) dont think any gringo can walk into any social club 4) How many rich dominicans exist on the north coast where most gringos are?

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Must be tough being the only Gringo with class

AZB said:
No surprise he is doing busines with barrio folks, name one visiting gringo (not resident gringo) who even knows any decent dominicans who don't live in a barrio? The truth is almost 100% visiting gringos only know barrio folks, So what is so surprising about john doing business with barrio folks? Nothing at all.
AZB

Some of the posters know people from both high social, middle class and by the way I have heard Gazue refered to as barrio Gazue. Just because they live in the barrio does not mean they are not good people. I Liked this comment
who even knows any decent dominicans who don't live in a barrio?

My god AZB are you finally admiting that there might be some good honest folks living in the Barrio.:surprised

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
there is no use in arguing. You people have convinced me that you folks are only good enough for bario folks. thats sad.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB, this thread is not about you and your BS. If you have nothing positive to say... Shut Up!!!

Let's get back on topic, any more worthless posts will be deleted.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have started up multiple businesses in the DR with alot of help from Dominicans, there is nothing difficult about it. If you want to find barrio people who won't steal from you in the first few months of employment I can get you a truckload by next Tuesday, just tell me where to drop them off.

What's difficult is sustaining it. You are starting a business offering identical service as 5,000 others with nothing unique to offer.

Well the DR is a great place to be a small business with nothing unique to offer, many survive, more than in the US where they say over 80% of new businesses fail in the first year.

But you have no real chance of making it "big" by doing the exact same thing that thousands already are and just about anybody with a suitcase full of cel phones and an uncle in New York can do.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert said:
AZB, this thread is not about you and your BS. If you have nothing positive to say... Shut Up!!!

Let's get back on topic, any more worthless posts will be deleted.
As a matter of fact, the Op started this thread hinting my name. His original post had my name written all over it. He simply didn't mention my name.
In any case, I think its a boring subject anyway. I will wait to see how long it will take to see his money burn.
No more posts from me on this thread.
Good luck
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Reading Comprehension 101

MrMike said:
I have started up multiple businesses in the DR with alot of help from Dominicans, there is nothing difficult about it. If you want to find barrio people who won't steal from you in the first few months of employment I can get you a truckload by next Tuesday, just tell me where to drop them off.

What's difficult is sustaining it. You are starting a business offering identical service as 5,000 others with nothing unique to offer.

Well the DR is a great place to be a small business with nothing unique to offer, many survive, more than in the US where they say over 80% of new businesses fail in the first year.

But you have no real chance of making it "big" by doing the exact same thing that thousands already are and just about anybody with a suitcase full of cel phones and an uncle in New York can do.

My MY a nay sayer so early in the game. You need to read more carefully Mr. Mike. I NEVER said I had a suitcase with a bag of cells and had nothing unique to offer. In fact if you would read my post I said I have a very unique business to offer to the NEW YORK community that I would discuss at a later time.
Quite honestly I dont have the time or inclination to defend my actions with all the know it alls on this board--if you have nothing positive to lend to this tread dont bother.
BTW--the test on reading comprehesion is later today. Room 101. LOL
wowtheyattackearlydontthey?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
John E - we met once at one of the reunions. Good luck man. I wish you the best in this business venture.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You have a long way to go to deal with the Dominican people. Your experience so far is not unique in terms of many of us who have done business in the DR working with local people. I'm with Mr Mike. Show us sustainability and we will all buy you a beer and congratulate you warmly and sincerely.

Next year in the same place!

Wait, I've forgotten to say that you will never hear from the business people on this board that Dominicans are useless or dishonest or any of that. This depends on your ability to manage my friend.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Reading comprehension 101.5

I'm not attacking you or naysaying you.

In fact, I said there was nothing hard about what you are doing; thousands have done it, are doing it.

Here's the attack you are obviously baiting for:

The only thing "special" about you is you are a gringo and self-proclaimed "crazy person" who pretends to employ Dominicans because he "believes" in them, notbecause THIS IS THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC and that's who's available. Or because it's the law to employ at least 80% Dominicans.

I am sure you will have lots of fun in your enterprise, I have done similar things 3 or 4 times and it has always been fun. It has never been profitable for long, but I guess that is not a problem for you.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
BTW - I am from a Barrio. I if I could I would bet my life on some of the people I know from my Barrio and other Barrios. John E there are good and bad people on this earth. The good people are the ones who never think of robbing your or fooling you or taking advantage of you. The bad is the opposite. Buttt you don't need me to tell you this. You know this.

I know that you are doing this to perhaps keep busy but keep one thing in mind. This is to EVERYBODY reading this thread:

SCARE MONEY DON'T MAKE NO MONEY!!!

I have had my share of downs investing in several things. I have also had success from others.

John E - God speed!!!