is december a bad month for sun?

Sep 19, 2005
My gf hinted that there probably would be little chance of nice long sunny days while I was there over the holidays. The last 2 trips we got very little sun and the beach was a wash out both times. I was inquireing about going to Sosua again.....she said chances were poor for sun....is that the trend, little sun( meaning lots of clouds) in dec compared to the rest of the year?.......thanks...bob

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Has been the last 2 years. But you can always be lucky. It has been rainy and mostly overcast the last 3 days in Sosua now.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
yeah it usually rains every day from november to january on the north coast, but mostly at night but often during the day. This year it has been much better than the two previous years.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Sorry Sky, WEather.com is not a good indicator!!! Weather here can change even when you are only a couple of miles apart. If there is a remote chance of a shower then it will predict showers! We have had many full days of sun where weather.com said otherwise.

It is correct that Dec tends to be wetter then other months. It quite often will be sunny early in the day and by about 3 pm it will start to cloud up and rain later on. Then you have those days that start and end with rain. Your odds of getting more rain are good! But, you will get some sun most likely. Think of all the fun youcan have in the rain!!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
planner said:
Sorry Sky, WEather.com is not a good indicator!!! Weather here can change even when you are only a couple of miles apart. If there is a remote chance of a shower then it will predict showers! We have had many full days of sun where weather.com said otherwise.

It is correct that Dec tends to be wetter then other months. It quite often will be sunny early in the day and by about 3 pm it will start to cloud up and rain later on. Then you have those days that start and end with rain. Your odds of getting more rain are good! But, you will get some sun most likely. Think of all the fun youcan have in the rain!!!

I live in the Sosua area and have for many years. I realize that weather reports are not terribly accurate but they are an indicator of rain to come. Not what time it rains, but will it rain in Sosua?

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
Don't worry anyone...

Here in the beautiful province of Quebec (Canada) this is the forecast for the last day << >>>>

Sun (Yeah!)
Temperature minus fifteen degrees with wind from north-east 40 km (equal minus 30).

So if it rain or not... The last two years was bull**** meteo but I cross fingers for better weather this year,

7 days, 3 hours, 17 minutes and 33 seconds until December 26

Holacanada ?

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
For dominicans and long timers in RD weather in december and january is kind of cold in the very morning and late night. For someone coming from the north pole, this is still the perfect tropical paradise all year round, specially in winter!!.

Jess

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
South coast input

Here on the south coast there usually is more rain in December, but only as showers. The twoday/allday rain I remember from winter/autumn-Denmark I've only experienced once. And the showers usually don't start until after 2 in the afternoon.
It's very nice in the morning with clear skies and a slight breeze, so you should be able to get your part of the sunshine cake and don't get too charbroiled from it either.
If you insist on spending time on the beach in the afternoon, seek out a place near a bar and ride out the 5-15 minute showers under the roof holding your new love (Siboney Reserva Especial).:lick:

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I guess the weather on the south coast is much better than her up north. In the Sosua area it's usual with periods of many days with rain almost all day in December to February.

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
My experience with rain here in the North Coast:

Forecasts are to be taken with a grain of salt

While there are those few times when it rains all day, the rain will usually fall into a predicable pattern: generally, the rain will hit when the temp changes -- mostly in the early mornings and early evenings. Of course, it rains every Thursday evening at 6:30 sharp just to annoy us at Joseph's.

Normally, you get fairly good weather in December -- rain reports are mostly the morning/evening kind which is actually nice as it cools things off.