Travelling to DR with Pet Rabbit??

tkp

Dec 1, 2005
This may sound silly to some (I know), but I am travelling to Sosua and staying for a month in January with my family. I have a pet rabbit who is VERY domesticated and whom I would rather not travel without. Does anyone know if such an animal would be permissible for entry into the DR? or, if not in-the-know, does anyone know who should I contact to determine whether or not my pet would be allowed into the country for a vacation?

(Side note: he's very well travelled -- been to many U.S. states and Canadian provinces -- probably one of the most-travelled *un-cooked* rabbits in North America ;) )

Thanks all for any helpful input.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Do a search under cats or dogs I imagine a rabbit would have to follow the same rules for travel.

My own opinion;
I can understand when people are making a permanent move to the DR and have to subject their poor pets to the stress of travel but I can't understand taking one on vacation. Think of the poor animal being all alone in a strange part of the plane and not knowing what is going on and not seeing it's owner for a few hours and then landing in a country where it's hot and humid.

If you love your pet leave it home with someone.

There I feel better. ;)

tkp

Dec 1, 2005
Understand, please, that my pet always travels with me -- extremely well taken care of throughout, always attended to. Small pets (if allowed by species by an airline / by law into a country) may travel in the cabin of a plane in a soft-side pet-specifc carry-on with their owner. (i.e. right with me where I can comfort him.) I am NOT talking about "cargo."

...and, slightly off-topic, but since you addressed it: my spouse and I are planning to move to the DR. So, making sure that our pet does well in that climate is actually quite important to us.

Sorry if I sound defensive, but I would not and will not ever subject a pet to any sort of abuse, and instinctually resent when anyone assumes that I would. I do, though, appreciate the fact that you are concerned about pets. Good on you for that :) and, again, thank you for the feedback.

Glad you feel better.

Now, I do too.

... Except that I still need to find an answer for my question. Hopefully someone else can help?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Get in touch with Judy from the Pet Lodge for all the travel details.
Send me a PM or an e-mail for her phone number and/or e-mail address.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You can bring your pet, as long as you have all papers fine by a vet.
At the airport you will go with the pet and the papers to get a certification from the a/p vet here. Cost a few hundred pesos.
Some years ago, when I brought cats, they were not allowed in the cabin.
Most ( not all ) IATA flights allow pets to be in the cabin, only on Domestic flights, in Europe within EU.

In a month though, you can not determind if your pet is fine with the weather here or not, it takes longer. January is one of our cooler months with not much humidity.

tkp

Dec 1, 2005
Thank you Rocky and Carina for your helpful and friendly advice.

The airline I'm travelling with allows cabin travel for small pets to the Carribean. If I can find someone trustworthy and responsible enough to give him appropriate care for a month, though, I'll probably leave my pet at home. Unfortunately, it's a toss-up right now and that's why I need to consider my options.

Thanks again.

*edit* P.S. Thank you sincerely for advising on the weather. I should have mentioned, I've been to the DR several times during different months of the year as well as to other similar weather environments. The last time I was away is what makes me nervous about leaving my pet back home -- I left him behind and was not impressed by the care he received.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If at all possible, ensure your pet has the neccessary shots anyway, in case you do decide to bring him/her along.
I believe some animals have to have had shots a month ahead of time, for them to be allowed to enter, but, like I said, I can put you in touch with Judy to confirm this info, if you like.
PS: It would be good to confirm the hotel you are going to, allows pets.

L

lovesthebeach

I'm not sure if you mentioned where you are from.....

BUt if you are Canadian, you will have difficulty bringing your animal.

As of Nov 1/05 a new rule passed not allowing animals in the cabin with the owner. Also, if the outside temp is 0 or below, they will not let the animals in the cargo area of the plane....too cold for them.

Skyservice doesn't allow pets. The only one that might is Air Transat....I am not too sure.

I only know these details because I am coming in january for a few months and wanted to bring my little kitty and don't think I am going to be able too.

Best of luck
LTB

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Dear god, and I am NOT kidding, do NOT let any Dominicans see your rabbit, or leave your rabbit where they can get access to him alone. I'm not exagerating! I don't think it's necessary to explain why...

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I have been bringing my pets to the DR for years

I have been "wintering" in the DR for 5 years now and I have always brought my cat and dog.
The first time we went, I contacted the Dominican Consulate and inquired about the rules. You need a vaccination record for your pet, showing a specific number of vaccinations, not just rabies. The vet also has to issue a certicate of health no older than 10 days (I think) before departure. You will need to have all this translated into Spanish and "legalized" ($$) by the Consulate. It was quite expensive. The following years I just updated the certicates and had my Vet certify them.
I am usually traveling with Air Transat from Montreal. The pets are well taken care of. They can't travel in the Cabin with you, but they go into a cargo area which is pressurized and heated. My pets never had any trouble traveling with us.
Your best course of action though would be to call the Dominican Consulate nearest you to get the latest information on the requirements to import pets.

tkp

Dec 1, 2005
First, let me thank you -- seriously! :) -- for all of the wonderful replies. When I first posted, the first two replies made me feel a little unwelcome, but the subsequent posts have really helped a lot. Thank you all!

lovesthebeach: I am from Canada. Good question! (are you psychic?) But, am travelling American Airlines this time around and they do allow pets in the cabin. Good tip for the future, though. Hope you have a great trip in Jan (you going to Sosua or Cabarete by chance? I'll be in-between).

Rocky: Thanks again for the offer of info. I may have found a solution for home, but will definitely take you up on your offer and pm you if plans change. I appreciate your help very much.

snowbird44: Excellent information. VERY nice to have input from someone who has done it successfully.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this. I feel so much better now with all of your input and support. I really super-appreciate everything so much. I'm very happy about the community spirit and willingness most of you have to help people, especially since my question was a little "out there."

Even if I leave him home this time, I'm now very equipped to make an informed decision about my pet when my husband and I decide to move to the DR in the future.