what does "bendito" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Dot

Oct 23, 2005
i just started dating this dominican chick and she says alot of stuff to me in spanish. I never really know if she is laughing at me or complementing me. I understand few words here and there. But she says bendito alot.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think it's another way of saying "lucky you". Benidito really means blessed.

And for the other question which I deleted you would say

quiero hacer el amor contigo

don't be vulgar!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It is also a warning you say to the girl if she is climbing on top , don't bendito!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Bedito means "blessed" but very often in conversation Dominicans will say "bendito" when they want to say "maldito" (damned) but are trying to be polite.

Kind of like in English when you say SH....UGAR!

There are other similar words like "Conchale" for "co?o" and "Diache" for "Diablo" These are nothing in the world but starting to say a bad word and changing it at the last minute.

May 31, 2005
bendito can also be used kind of like damn.

El bendito aire acondicionado no funciona.

This means:

The damn air conditioner is not working.

May 31, 2005
Maybe she said Ay bendito which is sort of like saying Oh Lord or something to that effect. It really depends how she used it...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
M Dot said:
i just started dating this dominican chick and she says alot of stuff to me in spanish. I never really know if she is laughing at me or complementing me. I understand few words here and there. But she says bendito alot.

Maybe she's asking you for a 'Benedicta', a local alcoholic carbonated beverage made from apple cider introduced in the market a few months ago. It's currently sold out.

May 31, 2005
I had some Benedicta when I went to DR two weeks ago. It was good but I still prefer my Presidente. I love the cool blue color of the bottle though.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
" bendito" , that is a puerto rican expression. maybe your girlfriend was raised in Puerto Rico and has a " boricuaized vocabulary" . like calling boys " nene" , money " chavo" , etc. Dominicans we say " carajito" ( child") and cuarto ( money).

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Am I the only one thinking she's calling him "bandito"? Angel always calls me "bandita", which is a playful term. The English equivalent, other than the obvious literal translation of "bandit" would be someone like who loves sex and/or is playful. The only close word I can think of right now for a female would be vixen or seductress, and the word for a male escapes me... Okay, I guess I've let you all in on a little secret, haven't I?

Bandito doesn't always have to be referring to sex...it could mean something like "little bugger" in a good way. A real good English equivalent word escapes me.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
MIguel sent me a message regarding "bendito", although I'm still wondering if the OP is talking about "bandito". I tried responding to your last message, Miguel, but your mailbox is full. You need to clear some of that old stuff out of there!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Since I believe in giving credit where credit is due, I will give you Miguel's take on "bendito":

It means "blessed". But:

It's a well known fact that just about every single Puerto Rican uses the phrase as an expression. For example:

"ay bendito Dios, ayudame" or "ay bendito no digas eso" or " bendito, que frio esta afuera" or "bendito, nena tu si esta buena" or "oye bendito, yo no dije eso".

It's just an expression used mainly by ALL Puerto Ricans.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
trina said:
MIguel sent me a message regarding "bendito", although I'm still wondering if the OP is talking about "bandito". I tried responding to your last message, Miguel, but your mailbox is full. You need to clear some of that old stuff out of there!

I think you mean "bandido" which means burglar or rascal in Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.