no se la verdad sobre la "popola"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
A few weeks ago, I asked "what is a popola" cause I genuinely have no idea what the hell this spanish word is, but hear it in a song. So it gets moved to the Penus/Mars forum and I am STILL no more clearer on what it is! What gives?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
To put it in plain English...

it's the VAGINA...:angry:

Are you so dense that you didn't get the meaning the first time around?:bandit:

There...I hope you're satisfied...

MQ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I went to check out the answers in the other thread and I have come to the conclusion that it must mean vagina.

You need an imagination in a lot of these songs because there's no direct meaning to what they really mean. Just like gasolina.

Now I'm sure you know what the meaning of gasolina is and where he's putting it. ;)

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump up and correct me. :laugh:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Anna... you are just so funny!!!

wildnfree:

What the song "La Popola" really says is:

Aahhhy, no me des mas na',
Que me duele la popola,
Ahi no me des mas na',
Que me duele la popola,
Ahi dale por aya,
Pa' que descance la popola,
Ahi dale por aya,
Pa' que descance la popola.

In plain English:

Aahhy, don't give me anymore...
that my popola hurts,
aahhy, don't give me anymore...
that my popola hurts
aahhy, give me some this way,
so that my popola can rest...
aahhy, give me some this way,
so that my popola can rest...

Now you get the real meaning of the song...it's very vulgar, it was prohibited to be played in some stations...but not completely banned...

MQ

(When you have questions about music...you could always count on me! ;) )

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks MQ

Hope that helps wildnfree if not there will be slides this afternoon. ;)

May 31, 2005
Not only was the song banned from being played in radio stations but the artist that sings it named Glory (Glow) is banned from entering the Dominican Republic.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
Not only was the song banned from being played in radio stations but the artist that sings it named Glory (Glow) is banned from entering the Dominican Republic.

Well good! God knows we don't need people saying things like "popola" in this country. Pretty soon all our teenagers will know what a vagina is, and next thing you know there wil be prostitution and drugs and oooohhh....

We have to save the Domncian Republic from these evil influences!

Now is the time to take a stand against Popolas!

Our members must stand up!

They must stand tall and strong against the popolas!

(OK, I'm leaving now...)

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
You're kidding right, her and her popola are banned from entering the DR? Not on account of the song???

That's ridiculous!

What about the guy?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
I went to check out the answers in the other thread and I have come to the conclusion that it must mean vagina.

You need an imagination in a lot of these songs because there's no direct meaning to what they really mean. Just like gasolina.

Now I'm sure you know what the meaning of gasolina is and where he's putting it. ;)

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump up and correct me. :laugh:

It't the Dominican equivalent slang for 'pussy (US slang). My 12 year old daughter Alex was very embarrassed the first time she heard the song playing loudly in Cocolandia beach. A while back there was a song that went something like: "cuca, cuca, cuca, cuquita, as? se llama la muchachita", which most probably is very offensive in Venezuela for the same reason.

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Seriously, she makes a song with the word "pussy" and is barred from entering the place???
I never heard something so stupid !

If you don't like to hear the song, you don't listen to it....just shows what DR thinks of its peoples' rights...

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
The word popola is mostly used to refer to little girls private part. Parents would tell their little girl "lavate la popola/popolita desde que te levantes" I think the use of this innocent word in the way it is being used in the song, stroke a nerve in the DR, it sure did with me.

May 31, 2005
I agree with Stodgord. Not too many grownups call their own vaginas popola. They will only call it that if they are speaking to children about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.