Delayed Luggage

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How often has your luggage not arrived on the same plane with you?

My last trip I flew Continental out of Newark, NJ. Upon arrival I later found out my luggage was not on the plane with me. The explanation was the plane was too heavy so they removed some luggage.

Needless to say I did not see my luggage again until I arrived at the airport for my departing flight. I later found out this is a very common practice.

Upon arrival at home I contacted Continental and began the long process of completing the required forms for a delayed luggage claim.

What a hassle!

My suggestion, carry as much as you can in your carry-on bag. All essentials and at least a change of clothes.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
bigbird said:
How often has your luggage not arrived on the same plane with you? .

From the US? always, except in the month of December. I take it it's a seasonal situation, like mangos, or avocados, or better yet, ciguatera.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Mirador said:
From the US? always, except in the month of December. I take it it's a seasonal situation, like mangos, or avocados, or better yet, ciguatera.

Yes, I am coming from the US.

So just when is luggage season? ;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Mirador said:
December, December is lost luggage season in the DR.

Must have been an early crop this year. My luggage went missing the last week of October.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
bigbird said:
Must have been an early crop this year. My luggage went missing the last week of October.

Very exceptional, your case is obviously a fluke, and anomaly of some sort. You also find these in nature, you know. Yesterday, on my way back from Azua through Bani, I saw stalls with fresh mangoes, out of season!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
Yes, I am coming from the US.

So just when is luggage season? ;)
Lost luggage season normally runs from about December 15th to January 10th. For the last couple of years, Continental has lessened the problem by either adding a second daily flight or by switching to a plane with larger luggage capacity (747/767). This year they have done neither. Ugh!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
Lost luggage season normally runs from about December 15th to January 10th. For the last couple of years, Continental has lessened the problem by either adding a second daily flight or by switching to a plane with larger luggage capacity (747/767). This year they have done neither. Ugh!!

Continental EWR to STI is one flight in and one flight out a day using a 737. There were at least 40 people waiting in line to fill out the initial claim. My daughter made the calls to Continental trying to locate my luggage. Phone access in Sosua in not that great. She was informed that this "Delay Luggage" happens just about every week. Sometimes twice a week. If you could see the amount of luggage people returning home have with them you wouldn't be surprised.

My advice EWR to STI be aware!

January I am flying EWR to POP. I hope things are different.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I should have stated that my experiences were ewr-sdq.

At the end of this month I will be flying ewr-pop. I'll let you know how it turns out.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
I should have stated that my experiences were ewr-sdq.

At the end of this month I will be flying ewr-pop. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please do as I am going to the DR the middle of January.

To avoid any problems I used mileage points to upgrade to first class on the way down. I will be in Sosua for 17 days and I don't want to be without my luggage. I don't believe Continental would be stupid enough to remove first class luggage.

I can't carry my main luggage onboard because some items I travel with are not allowed inside the cabin.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
bigbird said:
I don't believe Continental would be stupid enough to remove first class luggage.

It is unlikely the baggage handlers will know if it is first class or not. The odds are probably the same.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
ricktoronto said:
It is unlikely the baggage handlers will know if it is first class or not. The odds are probably the same.

Continental puts a special tag on first class luggage. First class luggage is stored in a special area on the plane as first class luggage is the first to come off the plane. I have probably flown first class 50 times using upgrades and my luggage has always been one of the first pieces at baggage claim.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
To the DR at Xmas, don't bet the farm or put anything that is vital in the suitcases.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
To avoid any problems I used mileage points to upgrade to first class on the way down. I will be in Sosua for 17 days and I don't want to be without my luggage. I don't believe Continental would be stupid enough to remove first class luggage.
Wrong!

The first time I had my luggage dumped, I was flying first class. If I was flying coach, I might have been forewarned because Continental posted warnings on the coach line but not the first class line.

Because of upgrades, about 95% of the time I manage to fly to the DR first class. Over the years I've had my luggage dumped three times. The strange thing was each time they dumped my luggage, my golf clubs made it but my clothing did not.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
Continental puts a special tag on first class luggage. First class luggage is stored in a special area on the plane as first class luggage is the first to come off the plane. I have probably flown first class 50 times using upgrades and my luggage has always been one of the first pieces at baggage claim.
There's a running joke that "Priority" means "bring out last" in Spanish.:(

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why not bring 3 complete sets of luggage, one for each hotel in Sosua.
In fact, send the luggage on different planes, to eliminate the possibility of them losing your blanky.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Tamborista said:
Why not bring 3 complete sets of luggage, one for each hotel in Sosua.
In fact, send the luggage on different planes, to eliminate the possibility of them losing your blanky.

Hey, you are not off the mark here. When I travel, I split evently my clothes, footwear, etc. between two pieces of luggage. That way if one is lost, I can go by comfortably from the contents of the other.