Steel Buildings

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
Hello people!

I am wanting to import a pre-fabricated steel building (in boxes) to DR. Has anyone any experiences in this, or know where I can buy one already in DR? I want to buy a piece of land and establish a business within it...

A few offices and whatever within it.

Also, where would there be some cheaper land for sale over there... I do not need any prime real estate, just some flat land to place a building. I am thinking about having a few offices on one side and a gymnasium for kids to learn gymnastics on the other side...

Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Prefab steel construction is not practical for this climate.

Regards,
PJT

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
Robert said:
How much time have you spent in the DR?

None yet. I arrive in January.

PJT said:
Prefab steel construction is not practical for this climate.

Silly me. I had not thought about that previously.

My goal is to build some building somewhere for cheap. Over here, companies use those steel buildings all the time and set up offices in there or gymnasiums. They go for around 8000 USD to 9500 USD, and are easy to set up.

Are there any types of pre-fab construction there in DR?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Steel Surroundings

slimshade328 said:
.... I had not thought about that previously...Are there any types of pre-fab construction there in DR?

Well, there may be many other things that you haven't thought about yet....
I therefore suggest you come here to do a thorough feasibility study of whatever you intend to do here. Best investment one could think of.

People use shipping containers for makeshift offices or medium secure store rooms.
I have seen many hangar type steel construction buildings here (naves ?), the roofs and walls being aluzinc.
Others simply use strong wire netting for the walls when good ventilation is required.

m'frog

slimshade328

Dec 4, 2005
I know I need to be there, but what about land. Just property = nothing fancy. Santiago or wherever. I want to create a work environment for about 25-50 workers, but I don't need to be downtown SD!! (too expensive)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
slimshade328 said:
I know I need to be there, but what about land. Just property = nothing fancy. Santiago or wherever. I want to create a work environment for about 25-50 workers, but I don't need to be downtown SD!! (too expensive)
Where exactly is "downtown SD"?

Last time I checked, government offices, business offices, stores, homes, and everything else are spread all over the city, with no specific single area being a designated "downtown". In fact, we can say SD has several "downtowns".

It's a no there there type of place!

-NAL:classic:

stix

Dec 20, 2005
About steel buildings, I do have considerable experience with one kind which are lightweight steel buildings - not the half round corrigated steel barns. My firm manufactures buildings to order here in Canada, and we deal regularly in the Caribbean. Contrary to other comments, building authorities in the Caribbean approve these structures and have throughout the world. Rather than steel, we close them in and cover walls with a cement based sheathing called Smartboard which is unaffected by moisture or insects or most anything else. If you are interested, I can give you more information or you can check on our site.

For your consideration

Stix

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Gymnastics in the DR...

Slimshade, I've been involved in the gymnastics business in the US over 20 years and have considered attempting it in the DR. I visited a very successful kid's gym in Santo Domingo and in the owner's words "it's no picnic" I'm not writing to discourage you but to wish you success if you go ahead with your plan. Keep us posted, good luck.