Dominicans and the Crack culture.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
I've been finding out more about this in tid bits over the years. It seems that Dominicans played a key role in the spread of crack cocaine across The US esp. on the East coast. I recently Ran into a book about a Drug Gang called "The Wild Cowboys." I 'm somewhat a fan of true crime and, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this particular gang?? Was there crack in the D.R. Prior to their being crack in the US Does anyone know exactly how and why Dominicans got to be some of the first Crack Dealers here???

Thanks in advance
Neverlost

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Actually from what I understand there's a lot of truth to this. I remember I read an article a while back about the crack epidemic in The US and the main guy who was featured as the main distributor was a Dominicanyork who was attributed (in the article) as one of the first to "create" crack and establish a widespread distribution network.

Here's a link to the book the OP referred to. http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=0674018389

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
Do you remember??

suarezn said:
Actually from what I understand there's a lot of truth to this. I remember I read an article a while back about the crack epidemic in The US and the main guy who was featured as the main distributor was a Dominicanyork who was attributed (in the article) as one of the first to "create" crack and establish a widespread distribution network.

Here's a link to the book the OP referred to. http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=0674018389

Do you remember in what publication the article was found??

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
The Story of Joseph Occhipinti

This link below is the story of Joe Occhipinti. He was sentenced to 37 months in a maximum security federal prison for 25 counts of violating the civil rights of a front for Domincan Drug gangs known as the Federation of Dominican Merchants and Industrialists. It's a good Read, check it out.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tna/1994/vo10no04b.htm

monster

Oct 16, 2005
neverlost said:
Do you remember in what publication the article was found??

I also read that article its on the pbs frontline website. You will probably have to dig for it, becuase I read it quite a while ago. It somewhere under the drug wars.

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
neverlost said:
I've been finding out more about this in tid bits over the years. It seems that Dominicans played a key role in the spread of crack cocaine across The US esp. on the East coast. I recently Ran into a book about a Drug Gang called "The Wild Cowboys." I 'm somewhat a fan of true crime and, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this particular gang?? Was there crack in the D.R. Prior to their being crack in the US Does anyone know exactly how and why Dominicans got to be some of the first Crack Dealers here???

Thanks in advance
Neverlost

This is indeed factual. Dominicans were key players in the initial introduction & proliferation of crack cocaine in the u.s. ; at mid-level and/or street-distribution levels.

ze

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
Queens Dealer Lance Fuertado

This is a compelling message from Lance Feurtado. He and his brothers were
Major Dealers in South Jamaica Queens He also Claims he was unfairly target by crooked police and the goverment. Here is his story and DVD.

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
In terms of distribution it may be a fact. You have to understand that Crack is cooked cocaine. Dominicans have been involved in the drug trade for years especially after Pablo Escobar used our country to move the coke to Puerto Rico to avoid using the maritime routes east of Colombia and having it shipped directly to NY rather than shipping it to Miami.
But crack has been predominately been run by black people. There's not much money in crack anymore and even when there was in the 80's it was still more profitable to move cocaine and have the re-sellers cut the coke and convert it to crack.

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
To a certain Degree

Pingu said:
In terms of distribution it may be a fact. You have to understand that Crack is cooked cocaine. Dominicans have been involved in the drug trade for years especially after Pablo Escobar used our country to move the coke to Puerto Rico to avoid using the maritime routes east of Colombia and having it shipped directly to NY rather than shipping it to Miami.
But crack has been predominately been run by black people. There's not much money in crack anymore and even when there was in the 80's it was still more profitable to move cocaine and have the re-sellers cut the coke and convert it to crack.

I Think that's the truth to a certain degree ,but in the 80's it's alleged that the earliest record of Crack being sold was in Washington heights. I believe the way it works is Colombians Sell to Dominicans who in turn sell to Black, Dominican and Puerto Rican Street gangs.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
neverlost said:

Thanks in advance
Neverlost

accually no joke but my uncle was the one who invented crack and brought it to cuba. they mention him in the book, his name was Yayo and that were you get the crack nickname " yayo" from. Keep your nose clean guys...

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
Elaborate!

Joshua R said:
accually no joke but my uncle was the one who invented crack and brought it to cuba. they mention him in the book, his name was Yayo and that were you get the crack nickname " yayo" from. Keep your nose clean guys...

Please Elaborate on this story!!

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
lolz well my uncle Yayo brought crack to cuba to show it to my other uncle jony ( which he was basicly the scarface of Santiago) my uncle tryed it got hooked you know yayo saw how effective it was and started selling it in florida & NY then from there on it spread over the US yayo is dead but he left ALOT! of money behind

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
hollywood north said:
Watch the movie Scarface and listen to some of the Spanish disco music....they are singing "dame yayo".....

Joshua-if that's the kind of family you have, that's a real shame.

hey when the going gets tough and theres no other way you gotta do what you gotta do to feed your family:ermm:

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I know...this was not meant to be condescending, and I completely understand about that. Nothing like the inability to pay rent, groceries, creditors calling day and night, to make one consider many possibiliities,

It's just too bad that things are that way all around the world, not just DR, Cuba, etc.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
hollywood north said:
I know...this was not meant to be condescending, and I completely understand about that. Nothing like the inability to pay rent, groceries, creditors calling day and night, to make one consider many possibiliities,

It's just too bad that things are that way all around the world, not just DR, Cuba, etc.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I have to disagree on this one. My parents came from poor families and chose to work their asses off to create better life for the family. Nobody gave them anything and they both worked multiple jobs to provide for the kids and "move up".

Choosing to sell crack and excusing it by saying "Hey, I have bills to pay." is a sad example of the moral relativism that is slowly killing us. There is nothing left that cannot be justified. Crack has ripped through the inner cities and ruined millions of lives. Ironically, most of those affected are minorities (Blacks and Latinos). But if it pays the bills it's ok?

I am not trying to hijack the thread but wanted to respectfully disagree.

Scandall

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
yeh true that but you gotta understand the situation sure you can work your ass off if you wern't at such a depression like some of the people that do decide to become a street pharmacist ( drug dealer) as a last resort. walk in their shoes before you judge them

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Joshua R said:
yeh true that but you gotta understand the situation sure you can work your ass off if you wern't at such a depression like some of the people that do decide to become a street pharmacist ( drug dealer) as a last resort. walk in their shoes before you judge them

I don't have to walk in a drug dealer's shoes to know he is a scumbag. Nor do I care about his bills. Helping yourself by ruining the lives of countless others is never excusable. It is the easy way out. Plenty of people in the same situation choose other paths.

Scandall

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
yeah read my post carefully they do as a LAST RESORT meaning they've tried everything they could think of. what you think that they dont know what they are doing? sure it makes them feel uncomfrotable but the people who use it & buy it are really the ones to blame people dont sell drugs the drugs sell themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.