Internet Terms en espa?ol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
From my daily reading and browsing of different web sites I have compiled the most popular terms.

- please keep in mind short forms are used in internet terminology (meaning omission of the articles el/la when giving commands) and sometimes the infinitive form of the verb is used when giving commands- enviar, guardar, imprimir etc). These forms below are indicated with (*).

-Disclaimer- terms may vary however, these seem to be the most common.

1) active sessions- sesiones activas
2) add to favorites- agregar a Favoritos *
3) continue- sigue
4) cover page (of a newspaper etc.) - la portada
5) click here- haz/haga 'clic' aqu?// double click -haz/haga doble clic
6) to download- descargar
7)) email- email, e-mail o correo electr?nico
8) font size- tama?o de la fuente
9) home page- p?gina de inicio
10) internet access- acceso a Internet
11) login to forum- iniciar sesi?n en Foros *
12) online books- libros virtuales
13) 'online'- 'en l?nea'
14) local edition- edici?n local
15) message- mensaje
16) press here to download- presione aqu? para descargar
17) print (the) article- imprimir art?culo *
18) print version- versi?n para imprimir
19) printed version- edici?n impresa
20) previous editions- ediciones anteriores. Por ejemplo- peri?dicos
21) readers online- lectores en l?nea
22) to add- a?adir *
23) to erase- borrar *
24) (to) search- buscar *
25) save (the) article- guardar art?culo *
26) see complete article- ver art?culo completo *
27) screen saver- salvapantallas
28) (a) search- b?squeda
29) search (engine) - buscador. Por ejemplo 'google', 'yahoo'
30) to send (an email)- enviar *
31) updated at xxx- actualizado/a a las xxx
32) website- sitio
33) wireless internet- internet inal?mbrico

---------

LDG.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Lesley, I was just wondering when you'd be back after your stay in Panama! Hope you had a wonderful time.

This is most useful but there are some variations, aren't there? Guardar can also be 'salvar' (Spanglish!) or 'archivar' depending on which type of Spanish your software is in.

It always tickles me to see there is a DR Spanish option on Windows spellcheck. Maybe we should test it to see if it recognises 'vaina' and other such words.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks...

all glad you find the list helpful. Just an fyi... I have yet to see salvar used as a synonym for guardar and I do think it sounds like Spanglish. I would not use that term.

Chiri,

S?, pas? un buen rato en Panam? de hecho quiero regresar. La ciudad de Panam? siempre ha sido una de mis favoritas. Cuando tenga tiempo voy a escribir algo (una rese?a) para poner en el foro.

Te cuidas,

LDG.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
You may also want to include.
Buzon
Borrador
Enviados
Lotes De Correo
Papelera
And others found in online email programs.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A few more additions...

to my original list.

34) advanced search- b?squeda avanzada
35) ciberspace- ciberespacio
36) click to expand- haz/haga clic para ampliar
37) key word(s) (when doing a search)- palabra(s) clave(s)
38) password- contrase?a
39) subscribe/ unsubscribe- suscr?base/ excl?yase
40) user- usario

-#23 from my first list s/b borrar- to delete (which is more appropriate for Internet terms).

------------

Mofi,

Thanks for your additions. When you have a chance can you please include the English equivalent. I could but I thought you may want to add them.

LDG.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
It won't let me edit it so here it is.
Buzon- In Box (Also Bandeja de Entrada)
Borradores/Borrador-Drafts
Enviados (Mensajes enviados)- Sent (messages)
Lotes De Correo (Bulk Junk mail- also can be "Correo Electronico no deseado")
Papelera- Recycle Bin
Depending on what web server you use (hotmail, yahoo ect. it will vary)

ɢ

ɢɑʙʀɩɛʟɑ

I know this is a very old thread, but I have a few questions about some internet terms not mentioned here.
How do you say:
My computer froze. I don't want to say that it actually froze into ice, so i don't know what the correct way of saying this is.
Click on the ____ button.
Click on the link(to the website).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Total Spanglish but most people in the DR do say "se friz?" in this context. They also use 'click' and 'link' although 'pulsar' and 'v?nculo' or 'enlace' would be more correct.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Let me tell you HOW useful this is

Sometime this summer I had a vistor (Dominicana now living in Spain) and she used my computer in the office. She changed the language on the opening page to Spanish. At first I was too lazy to change it back to English(thats a lot of work-LOL) then I thought this is cool I"ll use it to help my Spanish.
Well, you heard of surfing the web--I'm surfing outer space! Thanks to you I might land safely soon.

Thanks,
JOHN

ɢ

ɢɑʙʀɩɛʟɑ

Total Spanglish but most people in the DR do say "se friz?" in this context. They also use 'click' and 'link' although 'pulsar' and 'v?nculo' or 'enlace' would be more correct.

oh ok thanks!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Nunca voy a entender-

I don't understand why people would use a Spanglish version especially in the DR where English is not that dominant IMO. Being fully aware of linguistic influences and the challenge with technological terms in Spanish sometimes the word choice really does not makes sense.

On my side of the planet "se congel?" is used and I know it's quite common. For example- se congel? la pantalla you will hear that in Montreal and Toronto.

John,

A good way to learn Internet and technology terms in Spanish is to pick a few websites as your favorites and slowly familiarize yourself with the terms. You will be surprised at what you will grasp in a short period of time. My suggestions: Latino MSN, bbcmundo.com and maybe one of the DR newspaper websites such as El Listin Diario. The home page alone is full of useful terms.

-LDG.

PD. a typo correction s/b usuario for user.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
How about to post?
Most everyone is using postear. Some suggest that it should be poner, pegar, subir, publicar. But to me, none of them really express the English post. Any suggestions?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
maybe I missed it but I don't see a word or words for weblog ("blog" in common venacular) in the lists. The one I've seen most often in Mexico, Argentina and Chile has been bit?cora, but most of the rest of the hemisphere seems to simply use "blog".

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
maybe I missed it but I don't see a word or words for weblog ("blog" in common venacular) in the lists. The one I've seen most often in Mexico, Argentina and Chile has been bit?cora, but most of the rest of the hemisphere seems to simply use "blog".

And yet, I think that very few people in those nations use the word bit?cora given the origen of that word. Most people do use blog and most probably we are going to have to continue using many English terms in the internet arena, until the Spanish Inquisition Office (RAE) decides.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Lesley, have you seen a term in Spanish for "cookie" (as in the "cookies" a website like DR1 saves on your computer)? I'm in th eprocess of translating my site's privacy policy into Spanish and I'm wondering if most Spanish speaking users will understand if I simply use the English slang. I don't prefer that, but have not run across an alternative in my web travels.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.