Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Name: PorterHouse
Tel: (809) 542 6000 / 541 6000
Reason why?:

Review by Scandall:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45747

Last night I went to the Porter House in Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) with Larry, Robert and BOK (PIB's better half). The restaurant is relatively new and doing very well from what we could see. Here is the rundown...

We had reservations for 8:00PM and showed up at about 7:40PM to have a drink in the bar area. There was only one party seated in the dining room and about 20 servers bustling around preparing for the night. The bar area is a comfortable place to hang out and the service was excellent. At 8 or so we decided to move to our table and were not hassled at all about paying the tab at the bar. They never even mentioned it and just transferred it to the dining room. This main seem like common sense to many of you but in the DR you never know how things are going to go. It was refreshing.

The whole place is very nicely decorated and a bit upscale. The only complaint that you will read here is that the temperature was a bit chilly.

We had an absolutely fabulous meal. Salads or soup all around...bottle of wine...steaks(good sized Ribeyes...not obnoxiously big...just right) and churrasco...all cooked exactly as we asked for...mashed potatoes and fried yucca...mmmmm.

Bo had dessert while the rest of us enjoyed after dinner drinks (port for Scandall, Grand Marnier for Larry and TWO huge coffees for Robert).

The service was absolutely outstanding. I would have to say that it is the best I have ever had in the DR. The staff is clearly very well trained. Bad service is somewhat of a mainstay down here so this was refreshing. Especially since we were spending good money.

The total bill came to about RD$7,000 (with the 26% in it). We threw in another RD$500 tip because the service was so good. Roughly USD$50-$60 each for a spectacular meal with great service. A no brainer.

At the bottom of the bill they give the total in pesos, dollars and euros. I thought that was a nice touch.

The dining room was full when we left and the parking lot was full of cars. Nice cars too....a 2005 Ferrari among them.

Anyway, all four of us agreed that it was outstanding, well worth the price and that we would have no reservations about returning.

Wear decent clothes and remember that it might be a little chilly. I recommend making a reservation too. The dining room was full when we left at 9:30PM.

Scandall

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I've had two very good steak meals at Rancho Steakhouse at La Feria/Centro de los Heroes, great service, stylish atmoshpere, great filetes and churrasco, not cheap though

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have eaten at Rancho Steakhouse 3-4 times, it doesn,t even come close to PorterHouse. I have also eaten at David Crocketts many times, not any longer.
I have found the new home of steak in SD, I just pray they keep it up.I have eaten at Rancho Steakhouse 3-4 times, it doesn't even come close to PorterHouse. I have also eaten at David Crocketts many times, not any longer.
I have found the new home of steak in SD, I just pray they keep it up.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Impossible!

Robert said:
Review by Scandall:

.....BOK (PIB's better half)....

It's difficult to take this review seriously when one realizes the reviewer is out to lunch, not dinner.

Reactions: mike l

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
qgrande said:
I've had two very good steak meals at Rancho Steakhouse at La Feria/Centro de los Heroes, great service, stylish atmoshpere, great filetes and churrasco, not cheap though

Is that in Feria Ganadera? Close to the Malecon and Nu?ez de Caceres? If it is the same place I have been there as well. VERY pricey for what you get. Service was OK. Check out Porter House, you will not be disappointed.

BTW: I believe the Belgian place is dead...as many of us predicted.

R.I.P. Waffle Boy!

Scandall

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Scandall said:
Is that in Feria Ganadera? Close to the Malecon and Nu?ez de Caceres? If it is the same place I have been there as well. VERY pricey for what you get. Service was OK. Check out Porter House, you will not be disappointed.

Yes, between the Malecon and Independencia close to the Nu?ez. I'll try out Porterhouse.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Yep the Belgian place is dead. . . . .too bad Frida's closed down. They had decent mexican food and mariachis. . . . .I used to dig going to Frida's. . . .but never tried the Belgian place. . . . .not sure I know what Belgian food is besides waffles.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
What sbout Le Cava. The cave restaurant up on the hill past Hotel Santo Domingo? Haven't been back in several years but back then it was exceptional; in service; food; ambiance. A little dangerous walking up the stairway, though

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
best steak

has anyone had steak at Train Station in Gazque??
Will try Porter House next week...it is on Lincoln??Above 27???
bob

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
duhtree said:
What sbout Le Cava. The cave restaurant up on the hill past Hotel Santo Domingo? Haven't been back in several years but back then it was exceptional; in service; food; ambiance. A little dangerous walking up the stairway, though

I have been there. I thought is was mediocre and overpriced.

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
duhtree said:
The only time I was there, years ago, the food was mediocre, prices were high, and a time-share salesman wanted to offer dessert if he could join us for a half hour presentation. No dessert is worth that much. To top it off, although we were on time for our reservation, we had to wait at the bar for a half hour in spite of the fact the restaurant was half empty.

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
Has Anyone tried out the new restaurant in the Colonial Zone?

Cafe Eclectico
Calle Jose Reyes #12
Btw. Arz. Nouel & Padre Billini
Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo

I will be arriving at the end of the month and it has been recommended but I am not sure if anyone else has an opinion of the place?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I concur, Porterhouse is a great restaurant, although I?m not quite as euphoric as the OP. We had dinner there yesterday, and like Scandall writes in his review, the service is outstanding, without being too pushy or intrusive on your privacy. The interior is stylish, and it is indeed a bit chilly, but not too much. The menu is great too, with a couple of original house specialties next to the more classic steak items. However, among all the hosanna of this thread on Porterhouse, we did have a more serious comment, namely that two of four dishes were really a bit too salty (a ribeye and a New England Clam Chowder). The other dishes were excellent though.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In complete agreement

Robert said:
Name: PorterHouse
Tel: (809) 542 6000 / 541 6000
Reason why?:

Review by Scandall:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45747

Last night I went to the Porter House in Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) with Larry, Robert and BOK (PIB's better half). The restaurant is relatively new and doing very well from what we could see. Here is the rundown...

We had reservations for 8:00PM and showed up at about 7:40PM to have a drink in the bar area. There was only one party seated in the dining room and about 20 servers bustling around preparing for the night. The bar area is a comfortable place to hang out and the service was excellent. At 8 or so we decided to move to our table and were not hassled at all about paying the tab at the bar. They never even mentioned it and just transferred it to the dining room. This main seem like common sense to many of you but in the DR you never know how things are going to go. It was refreshing.

The whole place is very nicely decorated and a bit upscale. The only complaint that you will read here is that the temperature was a bit chilly.

We had an absolutely fabulous meal. Salads or soup all around...bottle of wine...steaks(good sized Ribeyes...not obnoxiously big...just right) and churrasco...all cooked exactly as we asked for...mashed potatoes and fried yucca...mmmmm.

Bo had dessert while the rest of us enjoyed after dinner drinks (port for Scandall, Grand Marnier for Larry and TWO huge coffees for Robert).

The service was absolutely outstanding. I would have to say that it is the best I have ever had in the DR. The staff is clearly very well trained. Bad service is somewhat of a mainstay down here so this was refreshing. Especially since we were spending good money.

The total bill came to about RD$7,000 (with the 26% in it). We threw in another RD$500 tip because the service was so good. Roughly USD$50-$60 each for a spectacular meal with great service. A no brainer.

At the bottom of the bill they give the total in pesos, dollars and euros. I thought that was a nice touch.

The dining room was full when we left and the parking lot was full of cars. Nice cars too....a 2005 Ferrari among them.

Anyway, all four of us agreed that it was outstanding, well worth the price and that we would have no reservations about returning.

Wear decent clothes and remember that it might be a little chilly. I recommend making a reservation too. The dining room was full when we left at 9:30PM.

Scandall

I had dinner at Porterhouse Thursday nite and I am in complete agreement (including the chill factor).
I had been treated earlier in the week by someone who is prominent in SD and he choose RED as the restaurant. He knew everyone in the place and everyone said hello to him with embraces--I think even the washroom attendant. So when it became time to treat him and his wife I used this review for my selection.
Let me say--he and his wife were duly impressed-without a doubt.
Nice touch of chocolate with invite to a champagne tasting left in the car which we found as we left.
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Poterhouse vs....

Since years and years David Crocket is the best of the best, maybe might be only my taste.... but soon will have a lot of Ostrich Steaks ;)

MZ
http://caribbeanostriches.com

was brought to DC week before last by guy I brought to Porterhouse.Good BUT only a close second to Porterhouse. Just didnt have the pizzaz, smooth touch, sexsiness of Poterhouse. Do you know what I mean?

G

gary short

No....... BTW I would suggest you should never embrace the washroom attendant.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The Steaks at Portehouse are excellent - easily up to American standards and a whole lot cheaper than if it were in South Beach, LA, NYC, etc. Ive heard that Steakhouse rocks on Friday nights as an after work happy hour and into the early evening, before "clubbing"... and the food is great and reasonable as well...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
The Steaks at Portehouse are excellent - easily up to American standards and a whole lot cheaper than if it were in South Beach, LA, NYC, etc. Ive heard that Steakhouse rocks on Friday nights as an after work happy hour and into the early evening, before "clubbing"... and the food is great and reasonable as well...

I have eaten there a few times and the best steak I had was the ribeye which I believe was about 700 pesos. That's really not bad considering the quality of the food and service. The cost adds up, however when you order a bottle of wine or two, appertizer and/or desert, after dinner drinks, etc. Add the 26% on top of it all and you have a big bill. One night, 4 of us from here went there and we ate and drank like madmen. The bill for 4 of us was about 12 or 13 thousand pesos. Thats still only 100 dollars each and like someone else said if you go out to eat in the U.S. you are going to pay alot more (Gallaghers steak house in Manhattan is 50 or 60 dollars just for steak, potatoes and veg and I think Peter Lugars is even more expensive).

Anyway, I definately recommend the place.

Larry