Looking for Dominican Heritage

CCfromBklynNY

Dec 12, 2005
I'm working on my family genealogy, but I'm also working with a group in NYC on researching Dominican Genealogy in general. As a first generation Dominican-American I grew up in New York and in an area that was not extremely noticeably latino. My first language is English and my spanish- according to my mom- is horrible. Researching through spanish language material is very difficult.

I hope to find more people looking into their Dominican roots in this forum. If you are doing similar research, need some helping in looking into genealogy or have some suggestions or resources you can pass on to me- that would be great.

Additionally, I have a family story I'm trying to verify on our connection to Desiderio Arias. If anyone has any info on his family history, please pas sit on.

Book suggestiions and the like would be great.

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Contact City College

The City College in upper Manhattan has a department / library on just Dominican History, etc... They have tons of information on D.R., and they are also very accomodating. I don't know now, but they used to be open all day on Saturdays and also on some evenings. They did not allow materials to be taken out, but they did not mind your spending a whole day there.

Also, you don't need to be a student there to have access to the materials or receive assistance. My suggestion is that you contact them first, and make an appointment, so that they would be expecting you.

MeDominican

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Not in Spanish???

Sorry! Just re-read your post. Most of the materials there are written in Spanish, many by Dominican / Latin-American authors.

MeDominican

drminy

Nov 12, 2005
CCfromBklynNY said:
Additionally, I have a family story I'm trying to verify on our connection to Desiderio Arias. If anyone has any info on his family history, please pas sit on..

I know a dominican family in Brooklyn and their family name is Arias. I am pretty close with them. I will ask if they know the name Desiderio Arias.