I had a huge problem exiting DR with my infant son

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Late November I travelled with my infant son to DR. I did not have a passport for my son, only his birth certificate. This trip was his second to the DR but on the first occasion the entire family travelled.

Problem began:
When I landed as SDQ, the problem started when I bought the tourist card, now they look like a type of business card and are not fillable. When I got to the immigration official they asked me for his tourist card. I showed them the card, they say I need to get the form to fillout. Anyways they had a blank one and filled it out for me. I guess the the person at the booth forgot to give me the form and because the card thing is new I thought the process has changed, well it just added one extra thing to have.

Problem begins to grow:
Let me just say that on his first trip to the DR, since he did not have a passport a picture was taken at the immigration office of the airport as a requirement. On this trip, the agent did not direct me to take the picture of my son so I thought that the process has changed again as they always do. I didn't pay much attention, big, big mistake. If they forget to direct you to the photo lab, demand it and don't leave before they take the picture of your baby. Also, make sure that they data entry his arrival in the computer. A stamp on his birth certificate is not enough.

Problem begings to walk:
Okay I began to hear rumors about a new requirement that says that no children will be allowed to leave DR without a Passport after 05 December. I called the immigration and they transfer me to the department of Salida. There I was informed that it is a new requirement but that since he entered before the dateline that I should not have a problem doing so.

Problem has fullgrown:
On the way out of the DR, the immigration agent asked me where is the mother. I say she is in New York and that I was the father. He told me that I don't have the authority to take my son out of the country, and directed me to an office where they can check his entries and pictures. Remember that a picture was not taken at entry. The agent checking the information ask me if I have permission from the mother, I said yes I have a notorized letter from her. He asked me if a digital picture of the child was taken at the entry, I told them no. He went on checking if his entry information was entered in the computer. It was not. I told him look his previous entry, a picture was taken then. He searched and could not find his first entry or picture to the DR. I began to sweat. He tells me that the letter from my wife needs to be legalized by the Direccion de Migracion somewhere near la feria before I can take the child out of DR. After a few back and forward conversation, he tells me. Okay, I need to check with my supervisor. We exit his office and meet his supervisor and explains the situation. The Supervisor says outright no, you need to go to La direccion de migracion on Monday, (it was Saturday). I turned pale and I asked him to reconsidered, but still said no. I went back to the agent that was cheking the information and begging him to keep searching the database. In the meantime an Aerodom agent got the hint that I was having problem and came into the office to inquire about my problem. The computer guy and me explained to him the situation and what the Supervisor had said. He asked me to following and we headed to meet with the supervisor again. The Aerodom agent asked if calling my wife at the instant would suffice the supervison said no, and Aerodom agent tried to intervene, I began begging, and explained to him that I was a member of the US Military and that I need to report on Monday. He was still negative saying that if something happened that he cannot say "well I let him go because he told me he was military" I told him, take my military ID and keep it but I need to travel today and cannot leave my son behind. I guess the look of desperation and concerns for my son, somewhat softened him a little. He directed the computer guy to take a second look at the database. In the database office, the guy was able to find my entry but not my sons. He also softened down and told me, okay this is what I am going to do. I will tell my boss that I found the information that shows that you and your son entered on the same day and time. I began to gain color on my face again. We went to meet with the Supervisor again and the agent told him about the database showing me and son entering on the same day. Finally, the Supervisor authorized me to take my son out of DR.

One thing, I really think it was the real thing. At no moment, I got the hint that they were looking for a bribe. I was willing to offer it, but somehow I felt that if I did, it would have been much worse.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That's one heck of a story.
Glad it worked out ok for you.
I suppose it's good & bad, at the same time.
We are starting to get to many rules & regulations in this country, just like the rest of the world, then again, it sure makes it harder for someone to steal your baby out of the country.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Rocky said:
That's one heck of a story.
Glad it worked out ok for you.
I suppose it's good & bad, at the same time.
We are starting to get to many rules & regulations in this country, just like the rest of the world, then again, it sure makes it harder for someone to steal your baby out of the country.

Yeah, since my son cannot communicate they could not interrogate him. So, I do understand them being extra cautious.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Stodgord, informative post. Especially the part about making sure they take the picture on the way in.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
When I traveled to the Dominican Republic, we had to get notarized permission forms from the consulate because we were two 17 year olds traveling without parents. When we arrived in the DR, the customs agents looked very puzzled when we presented the letters to them. The agent had to call over a supervisor and they both talked back for forth for a while. The supervisor now looked confused. This is when I started to sweat. We were directed to a guy in a room off the customs line and he directed us back in the line, and the second time, with a different person, we made it through fine.

I feel like if we had to pay 10 buck for a passport photo and 55 bucks for a notarized letter from the Dominican Consulate, the people in customs should know the forms we are presenting!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you did the right thing. And your are probably very right: A bribe would have made things worse.

This is a most informative post.

Thanks.

HB :D:D:D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
i am not sure I understand the part about the tourist card was a business card and you couldn't fill it out - what ihas changed?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to post the rules on this so that this can be avoided.

However, this post is important, because what I have from Immigration does not talk about photos...go figure.

HB :ermm:

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
Great post. I have traveled 3 times with my daughter without her father. I was also told to get a notarized letter with 3 photos, flight information, etc. Its a big hassle. Well, Every single time we have done it... they NEVER ask for it at the gate.

We even had one trip when we did not even do the letter and they never asked. Last month my daughter traveled with my mother (her grandmother) and they did not ask then either and she was not with either parent.

I have another friend who was traveling with his son to go hunting in the US and he has lived here for 12 years. They had to call his wife and ask what he was wearing and if it was OK for him to travel with his father.

Do you think that maybe they are gearing more towards the males rather then the woman? It seems I hear these stories coming from mostly men. I am so glad you made it through. I wonder why they will not allow a yearly letter that will give permission to travel through out the year. Getting the letter each time you travel is really a hassle. Especially if you live in a city that does not have a DR consulate. All the notarizing and Fedexing gets expensive.

Just my 2 cents!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
I guess the bottom line is get your child a passport before the next trip.
That won't solve the problem. Unless a child is traveling with both parents, the notarized consulate approval form is needed.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
That won't solve the problem. Unless a child is traveling with both parents, the notarized consulate approval form is needed.
Part of the problem was not the consent issue of the non-traveling parent. He had a notarized letter. It was identifying the child. There was no record of entry. Dominican Immigration had to be sure a Dominican child was not being taken for whatever (i.e. illegal adoption). At least if they entered with a passport for the child, there would have been a record of entry with the parent. The dilemma was even with a notarized consulate approval form, Immigration had only a birth certificate to rely on to identify the child.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Part of the problem was not the consent issue of the non-traveling parent. He had a notarized letter. It was identifying the child. There was no record of entry. Dominican Immigration had to be sure a Dominican child was not being taken for whatever (i.e. illegal adoption). At least if they entered with a passport for the child, there would have been a record of entry with the parent. The dilemma was even with a notarized consulate approval form, Immigration had only a birth certificate to rely on to identify the child.

There was no record of entry on the computer database but his birth certificate was stamped at entry. They were relying more on the computer database than on the stamped birth certificate. I think the picture at entry would have resolved the issue, that is if they manage to upload into the database. I was missing two things for my child at entry the computerized entry and digital photo. Two things that people travelling with their kids should make sure the immigration agent do.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
ricktoronto said:
i am not sure I understand the part about the tourist card was a business card and you couldn't fill it out - what ihas changed?

Rick,

the old tourist card used to be greenish and you would fill it out. The immigration agent would keep the top and give you the bottom for the exit. Now, you buy a tourist card the size of a business card, they are suppose to give you another form where you fill in your data. It looks similar to the old tourist card. The immigration agent collects the second form and keeps it, then he gives back the business card sized tourist card.

I hope this is clear.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Sorry to hear this...

I insist always to all my friends and associates to get a PASSPORT no matter what their travel agent or friends tell them. You DO NOT leave your own country with a flimsy piece of paper called a birth certificate. I just had some associates travel to the Dominican Republic last week. Just before they left the office they made photo copies of their PASSPORTS just in case. This is also a good idea. Make a photocopy of your PASSPORT and carry that with you while you travel throughout the country you are visiting and place the original PASSPORT in a safe place with a second copy of the passport just in case. Do not take leaving your own country for another country for granted! You DO NOT allow your friends and loved ones to leave their own country without a PASSPORT. Never ever, never! PERIOD!

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
I insist always to all my friends and associates to get a PASSPORT no matter what their travel agent or friends tell them. You DO NOT leave your own country with a flimsy piece of paper called a birth certificate. I just had some associates travel to the Dominican Republic last week. Just before they left the office they made photo copies of their PASSPORTS just in case. This is also a good idea. Make a photocopy of your PASSPORT and carry that with you while you travel throughout the country you are visiting and place the original PASSPORT in a safe place with a second copy of the passport just in case. Do not take leaving your own country for another country for granted! You DO NOT allow your friends and loved ones to leave their own country without a PASSPORT. Never ever, never! PERIOD!

Yeah, after this ordeal I told my wife that next time we travel the children will have a passport.

hedlykarok

Mar 3, 2005
www.latinamericanlady.com
passport always

HOWMAR said:
I guess the bottom line is get your child a passport before the next trip.

i agree completely. on a trip 2 years ago to Costa Rica, i watched as a couple - with what must have been a 4-6 month old - were prevented from boarding the plane at the gate in the US because the child didn't have a passport. the airline employees knew they would no be allowed to de-board in CR without one for every person.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Absolutely!

Folks,

If there is anything that you read and would take heed to is this OP's story and to never let it happen to you. This must surely be a horrific experience! I never want this to happen to anyone I know and I drive it into their little heads.

Me: "Did you get a PASSPORT?".
Them: "No, the agent said I only need a birth certificate or drivers license"
Me: "Get a PASSPORT! You are not traveling if you do not have a PASSPORT!"
Them: "Oh that's a pain in the a** and it costs 100 bucks"
Me: "It will cost you a lot more if you don't get one"
Them: "OK"

Afterwards, especially for my black or Latin friends they thank me because a couple of them were stopped and questioned because of their skin color. If they didn't have a PASSPORT they would have been detained.

GET A PASSPORT

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
A passport would not have solved the OP's problem.

Also, a notarized letter from his spouse was not enough. He needed to have a authorization from the Dominican consulate. According to some other postings, this authorization is not cheap ($55US), only good for one trip, and depending where you live can be a hassle to get.

I do think that his advice about insisting a picture be taken on entry is a great idea.

BTW, Hillbilly added a sticky in the Travel forum with the rules.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
A passport would not have solved the OP's problem.

Also, a notarized letter from his spouse was not enough. He needed to have a authorization from the Dominican consulate. According to some other postings, this authorization is not cheap ($55US), only good for one trip, and depending where you live can be a hassle to get.

I do think that his advice about insisting a picture be taken on entry is a great idea.

BTW, Hillbilly added a sticky in the Travel forum with the rules.

According to HBs post:
Foreigners can leave the country with the person with whom they entered, without any Immigration Permits required

I can't imagine that every minor tourist child traveling with one parent would have been required to get a Dominican Consular permit. Afterall, it is the country of origins responsibility to ensure that the child is not being removed illegally (notarized letter from non-travelling parent or custody order by court).