Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Requirements for travel with minors

Post Thanks / Like

hi im a single parent intendin 2 go 2 dom rep shortly can anybody point me in the right direction on this please? my daughter is 3 & has no contact with her dad at all

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Just carry proof that you have guardianship of the child, just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

What I'm really trying to find out is the place for us to stay without her being bored and entertained and us also enjoying ourselves.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Sluna77 and Babsleah,
    Excuse me for straying from the thread but I just wanted to welcome the 2 of you to DR1. I see that you Sluna77 have been here to our wonderful island a number of times and I assume that this is the first trip for you Babsleah.

When the both of you get back home how about a report in the "Trip Report" forum. We would love to hear how your trip went, you know, where you stayed, how the food and service was etc. Enjoy.

Rick

Back on thread

The Way Life Should Be...
    Post Thanks / Like

Hola!

I am travelling with my fiancee's daughter. Her mother has died. No custody issues.

She has a birth cert and I have a passport. She is ten.

We will travel with a letter from her father, notarized here in Maine.

Does it make sense (now don't laugh!) for her dad and I to do a quick legal wedding, to travel with the marriage cert as well? Does it matter?

We leave in two weeks.

FWIW people mistake her for my own all the time.

When we went in November with her dad and brother, they had their pictures snapped at the office in Santiago.

Any advice?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGirl
    Hola!

I am travelling with my fiancee's daughter. Her mother has died. No custody issues.

She has a birth cert and I have a passport. She is ten.

We will travel with a letter from her father, notarized here in Maine.

Any advice?
    Short of an adoption or legal guardianship, you have no standing. Did you bother to read the initial post on this thread? A simple notarized letter from the father will not suffice. At a minimum you will also need to have proof that the mother is deceased.

The Way Life Should Be...
    Post Thanks / Like

I did read the first post, HOWMAR.

I do have the death certificate.

Seems like we need birth, death and marriage everywhere else. I suppose I will travel with my lawyer. Oh wait, that's the girl's father. His not coming along is the whole problem.

I guess I shall send a letter to the consulate next! No hay problema, I live near Boston!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The point is that Dominican Immigration is not your only concern. Before allowing the child to depart with you, the airline has to confirm not only has the father given his permission and appointed you to accompany her, but also that he has the sole authority.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOWMAR
    The point is that Dominican Immigration is not your only concern. Before allowing the child to depart with you, the airline has to confirm not only has the father given his permission and appointed you to accompany her, but also that he has the sole authority.
    Even though they are responsible for checking that all the documentation is in order, the airlines will rarely question you when leaving the US. In the dozen or so times I've traveled to the DR with my daughter (she has a different last name than me), only once did they ask me for proof. (I had a notarized letter from her mother, which they thought would be okay, and let me board).

Coming from the DR, they seem to question us about half the times. When they do questions us, I play dumb (no big stretch) and after some haggling they've always let us board the plane.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

...I suppose I will travel with my lawyer. Oh wait, that's the girl's father. His not coming along is the whole problem.

I guess I shall send a letter to the consulate next! No hay problema, I live near Boston!
    If you want to avoid any possible problems, get the proper documents from the consulate. That probably means, you, your fiancee, and his daughter, all need to go to the consulate with all the paperwork (and I believe $60US).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast