Updated taxi prices in Santo Domingo..

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Ok, I`ve got a simple, or stupid, question here.

For travel within Santo Domingo, what`s the fair, current price???

Just came back for a week for the first time in years, and I'm no longer
familiar with how everything works.. ;) As I plan to go to SD during my time
here, that would be nice to know. I don't mind fistfighting taxi drivers over
the price, but it'd be nice to know.. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a
fistfight with some of those....

That apart, I'm in Boca Chica for a week, having a complete and genuine
gringo experience.. Being a mix of bright white and pink, I'm fresh meat on
the market for the more annoying crowds of the place. I believe they had a
great fiesta last night in order to celebrate just that.. I'm happy for them
though, and it's decent enough here.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.:)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I don't take taxi's often but 120 pesos for a trip seems to be about right at the present time. This is assuming that you are calling Apollo or one of the other cab companies. Taxi stands at hotels and near tourist areas are much higher.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
expatsooner said:
I don't take taxi's often but 120 pesos for a trip seems to be about right at the present time. This is assuming that you are calling Apollo or one of the other cab companies. Taxi stands at hotels and near tourist areas are much higher.
With taxis at hotels or touristy places, if you have an Apollo, or similar, business card and mobile phone you can pretend going to call Apollo if they don't take you where you want to go for 120 pesos. Works all the time, and you don't have to wait.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
qgrande said:
With taxis at hotels or touristy places, if you have an Apollo, or similar, business card and mobile phone you can pretend going to call Apollo if they don't take you where you want to go for 120 pesos. Works all the time, and you don't have to wait.

I pay 100 pesos each way to and from work for a 20 minute ride (Gazcue to Julieta). When I first started making the trip, upon reaching my destination, I would ask the cabbie how much I owed him. I would get replies of anywhere from 100 to 130 pesos as a few of the cabbies realized I didnt know the standard fare and figured they could squeeze a little out of me. Now, when I reach my destination, I simply stick a 100 peso note into the cabbies hand.

For a longer trip in SD you might have to pay 120 pesos but I doubt it would be more than that.

Larry

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Minimum fare is 100 pesos no A/C, 110 with A/C. You got it right Larry, there is no room for surprises when you pay them what you already know is the right fare. When they say it is 120 pesos or 150, I always ask them to confirm the rate with their base. :)

Finally they say, its ok, I will settle to 100, just because it is you ... yeah sure.

Best way to deal with taxis is calling them to their base, ask for a cab and ask the fare to the operator. Then you know what you have to pay and be prepared with the exact amount if possible.

Jess

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Thanks for the feedback on this one. It has worked quite nicely for me.

Personally I tend to pay an appropriate price, and rather tip if I also get good
company.

As for Boca Chica, I can?t help feeling it has its own charm. Whenever you think you?ve met the most original personality, there?s another around the corner... Great stuff.

Yesterday I received my first ever credible death threat. I don?t know whether to be afraid or to be honoured that somebody apparantly feels strongly enough about me to want me dead. ;)