Voodoo

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
A very good expatriate friend of mine, who has lived here for about 10 years, and who would not lie to me about something like this, swears that he has seen supernatural things taking place during a Voodoo ceremony that he saw either in western DR or in Haiti - many years back.

Does anybody believe this?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It depends on whether you believe in anything that can't be explained rationally. In this case there is a possible rational explanation. The friend may have been in an altered state, and he experienced hallucinations.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
It depends on whether you believe in anything that can't be explained rationally. In this case there is a possible rational explanation. The friend may have been in an altered state, and he experienced hallucinations.

Before you start promoting superstition, let me advise you that voodoo is a bonafide religion and partakes of the mythical and magical as much as other mainstream religions, including Catholicism. Of course, there are sideshow spectacles designed for tourist, and con-artists who use voodoo imagery and ceremony to deceive. Actually, people everywhere are easy pray to psychological manipulation. How about the con-man who has managed to bilk almost half a trillion US dollars from US taxpayers to fight a war based on lies?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Conchman said:
A very good expatriate friend of mine, who has lived here for about 10 years, and who would not lie to me about something like this, swears that he has seen supernatural things taking place during a Voodoo ceremony that he saw either in western DR or in Haiti - many years back.

Well,

It really depends on what exactly did the guy experienced or thought he experienced at the moment.

For example, did you know that humans can actually levitate for a few seconds?

It takes plenty of mental will power, concentration, and the sort, but levitation is possible, albeit all the known cases of human levitation have only lasted a few seconds.

BTW, levitation is floating without touching the ground.

Take a peek into Quantum physics if you want to see truly weird and unimaginable realities of reality!

The things change shape and composition as easily and quickly as they became such!

Sometimes, life is weirder than fiction!:nervous:

-NAL

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm still working on moving objects with my mind like they did in Star Wars but I'm not there yet. ;)

But seriously when it comes to the mind anything real or imaginary is possible.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
It can all depend on what they saw happen, and what state they were in.

Would I believe if you told me that someone saw a pile of pennies turn into a million - no. A vision of someone who was dead yes.

Coming from a family that is part Romani (gypsy)- and having studied Santeria as my thesis for University in the DR and NYC I would believe alot of the things that are said to happen.

There are mysteries (formal use of word here) that happen in all religions and not all of them can be explained by science or logic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mirador said:
Before you start promoting superstition, let me advise you that voodoo is a bonafide religion and partakes of the mythical and magical as much as other mainstream religions, including Catholicism. Of course, there are sideshow spectacles designed for tourist, and con-artists who use voodoo imagery and ceremony to deceive. Actually, people everywhere are easy pray to psychological manipulation. How about the con-man who has managed to bilk almost half a trillion US dollars from US taxpayers to fight a war based on lies?

Why did you quote my post? Did you mean to quote Conchman's?
The day I start 'promoting superstition' is the day we will board the flying pig from the airport at La Isabela.:classic:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
As far as I know it is widely believed that many voodoo rituals involve participants knowingly or unknowingly ingesting halucenogens as part of the ceremony.

Thus it is understandable that even a hardened skeptic would come away feeling quite impressed that he or she had had a "spiritual" experience.

I have never heard of anyone taking part in a voodoo ritual and not being duly impressed, but then most people who experiment with acid and shrooms are usually in for an imressive experience as well.

I'm not saying that it's just the drugs, but it does seem to be the most plausible explanation.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Conchman said:

Expatriates can be as delusional as the locals.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nal0whs said:

Please put down the crack pipe!

Can you please direct me to some resource that is valid and factual for information on human levitation. David Blaine's website and accounts of demonic possession by my next door neighbor don't count :)

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Robert said:

Can you please direct me to some resource that is valid and factual for information on human levitation. David Blaine's website and accounts of demonic possession by my next door neighbor don't count :)

I don't know about levitation but psychokinetic humans do have astonishing abilities.

Uri Geller, for example.

P.S.

Your next door neighbor is possessed, too? ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Nal0whs said:

It takes plenty of mental will power, concentration, and the sort, but levitation is possible, albeit all the known cases of human levitation have only lasted a few seconds.
The are no "known" cases of human levitation. By known, I mean documented and accepted by the scientific community.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
I don't know about levitation but psychokinetic humans do have astonishing abilities.

Uri Geller, for example.

P.S.

Your next door neighbor is possessed, too? ;)

If you mean astonishing abilities to string millions of gullible people along, I agree with you.:classic:

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Chirimoya said:
If you mean astonishing abilities to string millions of gullible people along, I agree with you.:classic:

Ahhh ... no, no, no - I was being a smart ass!

I should have clarified that more.

I don't believe all that crap about people bending spoons with their mind.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:

Uri Geller, for example.
Uri Geller! Next you be claiming that Kreskin can really read minds.

BTW, Good blog!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
So it really was a hurricane that moved my house in Mississippi 20 feet. Dang and I thought it was the power of thought and wanting to be closer to the beach.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Robert said:

Well,

This is a very debatable issue.

However, I believe in giving something the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise:

"There is no compelling evidence to suggest that it is a real phenomenon, but for some isolated cases, such as that of Daniel Dunglas Home"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysical_levitation

Here is something on hypnosis (which is a mystery):
http://science.howstuffworks.com/hypnosis.htm

Here is another mystery unraveled, online dating!:laugh:
http://people.howstuffworks.com/online-dating.htm

-NAL

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Robert said:

Fine you doubter,

Here is a picture that was taken seconds before a documeted case of human levitation. The woman was only able to levitate for .8 seconds, but she achieved a height of approximately 3 feet, 4 inches.

pic06328.jpg