Sankie Question

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
When I was at Plaza Caribe last night, I noticed a few men who were without a doubt sankies. The sankie-sightings triggered a question for me so I thought I would ask it on this forum and see what some of you think.

A lot of posts here are from foreign girls asking "Does anyone know Pepe, Carumba, or whoever, from the resort I stayed at? He's a really good dancer and never asked for me money so I wonder if he is a sankie."

99.99 percent of the time, the only responses are from regular DR1-ers who say things to the effect of:

"Yes, he's a sankie."

"You're stupid."

"Why would you want to date a low-class servant black man who is a piece of garbage? You're probably a fat, freckle-faced gringa who can't get a man in your own country and come down here just to chase big, black swingin; d*cks. Your sankie probably has to roll you in flour just to find the wet spot, fatso." (Hi, AZB!) ;)

There are rarely any responses of:

"Yes, I know him and I know he has a girlfriend/fiancee/wife."

or

"I AM his girlfriend/fiancee/wife!"

The few responses received that indicate the poster knows the sankie are always from someone who only has one or two posts so I wonder about their authenticity.

Sock puppets tend to be in abundance on this forum.

I'm just wondering if people who actually do know these sankies would really come forward and say anything.

So many people living here and tourists who come for visits read this board so I find it hard to believe that more people don't know the sankies that these girls ask about.

Why do you think this is?

Do you think they're scared to come forth on a message board with a truthful response?

I know it's not the most important question to mankind right now but I'm still curious.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Maybe after reading this board they are embarrassed to come forward,
I think you will find that more information about specific sankies is exchanged off of this board via PM's and emails than on it.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with Robert, this info is mostly exchanged privately. For some it is a matter of personal safety!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
There are a few websites where they name names - or at least they used to.

Another issue is that the animation teams change hotels often and their names too. You know change from Caramba to Cara++, Elvis to Ludacris etc.

I think the best way for a website to assist these ladies in their quest for information is by posting pictures with description and most used lines.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
A.J. said:
I think the best way for a website to assist these ladies in their quest for information is by posting pictures with description and most used lines.

Or most commonly used reason for requesting money.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
You will also find that many people do not know these individuals because they choose not to associate themselves with them.

Those that do not will just warn you about them.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
Your sankie probably has to roll you in flour just to find the wet spot, fatso.
That's really funny, cold, but funny.

sunshine_79 said:
The few responses received that indicate the poster knows the sankie are always from someone who only has one or two posts so I wonder about their authenticity.
I don't know how many are actually Sock Puppets. Many have been accused of being one because their initial posts seem so ludicrous. But I don't know if any were actually Sock Puppets.
sunshine_79 said:
I'm just wondering if people who actually do know these sankies would really come forward and say anything.
There have been some instances of, "I know him, send me a PM if you want more info".

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'm with rellosk. I don't know that there are actually that many sock-puppets posting about this stuff, because if they were a regular, they have nothing to gain by doing this, other than a few laughs. And laughs are a dime a dozen on this board :classic: ...they can find other ways to get a rise out of people.

This is what I honestly believe happens, because I've conversed with a few of the "victims" in question. Something draws a woman to vacation in the DR for one reason or another. Either friends went and recommended it, or they found a cheap flight, or travel agent told them about it, etc etc etc. They go there, just expecting to lie on the beach for a week or two and relax, so they may not check into websites to find more info about their destination before-hand. They go down (no pun intended) to the DR, have the time of their life, have a fling, fall in love/lust/whatever, and they come back, with a newfound curiosity about the country. They do a google search, find this board, don't check the archives, because do we ever when we enter a new forum site?, and post away. Their story, to them, is very real, but to us, we've heard the same story a thousand times, and try to point out the obvious to them. They then get scared sh!tless of the regulars and run for the hills due to the crass comments, accusations, insults, and generalizations. I know many lurkers from this board that have never dared even post one message on this forum, because they see how these newbies get treated. IMO, that's why so many people have so few posts and are labelled "sock puppets". Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe this board has a few ghosts from the past that still haunt the board in the form of sock puppets to stir up trouble and amuse themselves because they have no life, but I think they rarely appear in this forum.

milo

Jan 27, 2005
I do not usually respond to many threads on this site, but this time I think I should. As someone who has a bf in POP, I would like to think that he is different, time will tell. He is very aware that I know the reputation of the sankie, and he denies that he is one, of course. I am Canadian and not a size 4, add 10 to that, stereotype. Do I think I am being used, possibly, but I am not doing anything by coersion. Do I buy gifts for my friends here for Christmas or for their birthday, yes, so does that make me someone "feeding a sankie", when I do the same for my friend there, not the way I see it. I have sent PM's to people on this board who live in POP complete with a photo of by bf. It is difficult to have a long-distance relationship, and I trust that if someone who lives there actually knows him, that they would tell me the truth about him. That is really all anyone is looking for. I would not post his name or where he works here as I do not want to endure the abuse and judgement that most who post receive on this forum. I feel that my relationship is my business and I have been cautious as to who I make inquiries from. I am capable of reading the opinions of others with regard to these men who make a living off unsuspecting tourists and this is an excellent forum for information, the belittling should be kept to a minimum. These people, and I may be one of them, feel bad enough when they find out they've made a mistake without having it thrown back at them. That is the problem with posting on a public forum. I have spend over $100 on phone cards over the past year, but that has actually made us better friends and provided the opportunity for this friendship to be more than a 2 week love affair. It is nice to have a "local" friend to spend time with. I have had the opportunity experience the country in a manner in which most tourists would never dream of because they don't leave the resorts. So far, no regrets, and I am hopeful that I can still say that in a month. My eyes are open to this situation and I am quite certain that I am smarter than your average sankie! Please, no harsh comments, already wrote too much.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think people mean well when giving advice. Even the bad boys. They might have personal experience or have watched many of their friends go through bad experiences.

But in the end only "you" know the person you're involved with and there's nothing wrong with spending money on loved ones whether you are a man or a women as long as you do it with eyes wide opened and know what you're getting into.

It's not spending money that people try and save others from it's being made a fool of I think.

Best thing to do is take it all in and sift out what doesn't apply to you. ;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
You're right, Robert...

Robert said:
Maybe after reading this board they are embarrassed to come forward,
I think you will find that more information about specific sankies is exchanged off of this board via PM's and emails than on it.
And you will also receive threats in the PM's and e-mails...as I did when I first started posting here...

One girl got so offended that I kept talking about my friend Robert and posting his pictures, that she sent me nasty e-mails about him having 'lots of girlfriends' etc...

She was very young though...so I didn't even respond...but they can get on the deffensive pretty quick if you even imply that their current 'love' could be a ...you know what!

MQ

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
YES......... I finally know the meaning of SANKIE. I find SANKIES to be funny. I dont know how anyone could fall for someone telling you that they love you (as short as 48 hours sometimes) and not know its a scam.

Sankie Story

I remember a particular Sankie when I visited DR in March of 2005. Everyday when I would come down from my room.. he would give me looks, flirt, etc... It was kind of gross, but I just ignored it. By the end of the week, he pulled me aside and said those famous words *I LOVE YOU.* I proceeded to laugh, then give him the finger..lol His response was, hey at least I gave it a try..lol Then my fiancee walked into the hotel... so I proceeded to say.. "Oh by the way; have you met my future husband?" He made sure to disappear quickly. lol

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I think the ones who get jumped on the most here are the ones who ask the questions about anyone knowing him, or wanted to tell the world they fell in love in 30 minutes or less.

What really irks the members of the board (especially me) are the ones who become the "know it alls" of the DR, even though they have been there once and never left their complex, but now they are the experts on everything dominican and everyone else is wrong.

The second thing that irks people here is when they come asking for ways to send money to their BF and are told he is a Sankie -they are then in denial and come back afterwards to say they lost their money or he is not with them anymore.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
The bottom line is people are going to believe what they want, regardless of what others on this board tell them. Even the ones are convinced their man is not a "sankie", will find out the hard way eventually.

May 31, 2005
sunshine_79 said:

I think that the people that reply yes I know them are really girls that are dating the sankie and came to the sankie forum to read what everyone else was posting. They probably did not have the guts to post themselves but once they come across another post that mentions their sweetie that is when they speak up.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
sunshine_79 said:
When I was at Plaza Caribe last night.
OOOOHHHHHHH Plaza Caribe !!! I had MASSIVE drama there in August ! MASSIVE !!!!

And no, it wasen't over some Sankie .... Jamaican bitch got on my case !!
OOOHHHH the drama !!!

Funny when I look back at it now

missvi87

Jan 3, 2004
Stop the madness

I've been reading this thread for some time now, educating myself on the whole sanky culture for my own personal agenda. I rarely post or respond to anything I read here. No I'm not dating a sanky. In fact, despite frequent trips to Punta Cana and other touristic areas where I often travel alone for my work I am never approached by opportunistic resort workers. To tell the truth, this always rattles my cage a bit since I consider myself an appealing woman: I am youthful-looking, I have a svelte figure and long dark hair I wear down my back. On the other hand, my mulatto complexion I inherited from my caucasian father and my African mother probably causes confusion as to whether I am Dominican or not and most likely helps to keep the sankies at bay. To be clear, however, my father is Dominican. I was born in the US and raised between there and my mother's Caribbean island hometown. My Spanish reflects this fact. Currently, I am living and working in Santo Domingo.

I can't (nor do I want to) answer the question of what sets apart a good Dominican man from a sanky, but I do want to comment on the disparaging words used to described the sanky. Particularly the term "piece of garbage" which I've read here a few times. There is no doubt the sanky is a con man, a graft, an opportunist; but a piece of garbage? What does that make the person saying that?

I also wonder what do people who post here mean when they say they would date a poor person so long as they have class? Does class mean good manners? That this person hides his or her modest background well? Or do they really mean character to describe the intentions and the content of that person's soul?

If I had to give advice to the many women who post here about their experiences involving sankies I would say as AZB said, although I'd put it a little differently. Dating or marrying someone with whom you are equally yoked is bibilical advice that is just plain 'ole sensible. The scribers back then were speaking more in the context of religion, ie a Jew should only marry a Jew; still, its basic premise can be applied to the secular realm as well. Relationships are difficult enough without throwing in all the residuals that can stem from dating or marrying across cultural and socio-economic lines. As someone who is the product of a cross-cultural marriage I feel qualified to say this. Despite our supposed "sameness" we are all different. What we have to do to keep balance in our lives is acknowledge the differences with love and respect them as well.

I know that there will probably be an onslaught of posts from people calling me elitist, classist, racist, and maybe even a wanna be sankified. Those are all OK. In fact, I welcome them and will probably enjoy reading them. But I can promise you that I won' respond to any of it.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
missvi87 said:
I've been reading this thread for some time now, educating myself on the whole sanky culture for my own personal agenda. I rarely post or respond to anything I read here. No I'm not dating a sanky. In fact, despite frequent trips to Punta Cana and other touristic areas where I often travel alone for my work I am never approached by opportunistic resort workers. To tell the truth, this always rattles my cage a bit since I consider myself an appealing woman: I am youthful-looking, I have a svelte figure and long dark hair I wear down my back. On the other hand, my mulatto complexion I inherited from my caucasian father and my African mother probably causes confusion as to whether I am Dominican or not and most likely helps to keep the sankies at bay. To be clear, however, my father is Dominican. I was born in the US and raised between there and my mother's Caribbean island hometown. My Spanish reflects this fact. Currently, I am living and working in Santo Domingo.

I can't (nor do I want to) answer the question of what sets apart a good Dominican man from a sanky, but I do want to comment on the disparaging words used to described the sanky. Particularly the term "piece of garbage" which I've read here a few times. There is no doubt the sanky is a con man, a graft, an opportunist; but a piece of garbage? What does that make the person saying that?

I also wonder what do people who post here mean when they say they would date a poor person so long as they have class? Does class mean good manners? That this person hides his or her modest background well? Or do they really mean character to describe the intentions and the content of that person's soul?

If I had to give advice to the many women who post here about their experiences involving sankies I would say as AZB said, although I'd put it a little differently. Dating or marrying someone with whom you are equally yoked is bibilical advice that is just plain 'ole sensible. The scribers back then were speaking more in the context of religion, ie a Jew should only marry a Jew; still, its basic premise can be applied to the secular realm as well. Relationships are difficult enough without throwing in all the residuals that can stem from dating or marrying across cultural and socio-economic lines. As someone who is the product of a cross-cultural marriage I feel qualified to say this. Despite our supposed "sameness" we are all different. What we have to do to keep balance in our lives is acknowledge the differences with love and respect them as well.

I know that there will probably be an onslaught of posts from people calling me elitist, classist, racist, and maybe even a wanna be sankified. Those are all OK. In fact, I welcome them and will probably enjoy reading them. But I can promise you that I won' respond to any of it.

A delightful cross between sanity and reality.