Los BorinCubanos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I recently came across an interesting article about language barriers that Cubans living in Puerto Rico face(d). As I stated in previous threads one of the common elements of Caribbean Spanish- Cuba, DR and PR is the syntax structure. However, I rarely mention the lexical (vocabulary) similarities and differences. Via my own observations and research I have always believed there are closer lexical similarities in the DR and PR and Cuba is the country that is less similar from a lexical standpoint. The vocabulary (excluding slang) similarities are due to many factors but the key aspect is proximity. The DR and PR are closer in proximity therefore this aspect lends itself to a shared vocabulary. Again the aspect of linguistic drift discussed by many linguists comes into place. The DR and PR share many lexical properties and Cuba usually is the country that has a unique equivalent to the DR or PR word.

As well, the author of the article commented on the noted speech differences in various parts of Cuba: el acento y la entonaci?n eran muy peculiares y me llamaba la atenci?n (especially the Eastern part of the island) and in Puerto Rico: los puertorrique?os como caribe?os e isle?os tambi?n tienen su manera ?nica de llamar las cosas muy diferentes a como los cubanos le llamamos en nuestra patria.

Here some interesting lexical comparisons (with some DR similarities):

Cuba vs. Puerto Rico

Frijoles= habichuelas
Naranjas =chinas (both common in the DR)
Mamoncillo= quenepa (both common in the DR)
Fruta bomba= lechosa
Catarro= monga
Mentira= embuste
Cola= fila
Refrigerador= nevera
Chisme= bochinche
Arroz con leche= arroz con dulce
Guajiro= j?baro
Ventilador= abanico

BTW abanico really intrigues South Americans. I remember the first time one of my non-Caribbean friends heard me use that word he had know clue what it meant. Apparently this is uniquely DR/PR usage.

There are more examples but I will conclude here. In spite of the differences I am familiar with all the Cuban vocabulary and it is always good to know the equivalent word. If you wish to read the article in full here is the link.

Articulo

PD. Note the title of the article is interesting which reflects the combination of 'cubanos que viven en Borinquen' (Puerto Rico).

LDG.

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Very interesting, Lesley. It is true, particularly when it comes to names of many fruits, as well as many other examples. Although I grew up saying both nevera and refrigerador. When Cubans are shopping for one, we say refrigerador, but once it is inside your house, many times we simply say abre la nevera, or esta en la nevera, but refrigerador is used more now. Today just about every Cuban in the US says carro instead of maquina. I have not heard that word used to mean a car since I last visited Cuba years ago, but, when I lived in Cuba, like everyone else, I use to say maquina. Even Mexicans now say carro, when in Mexico they use coche insted. We do say cola instead of fila and cocina instead of estufa, but since I have always lived in California and Mexicans use those very same words, I' m very familiar with them. We call green beans habichuelas, so it was confusing at first when listening to Puerto Ricans and Dominicans using that word to mean frijoles. Cubans always say frijoles when referring to regular beans. It was only when I ate at a PR restaurant in Ponce that I realized that they use the word amarillos for some platanos. In addition, I see that some of the words used in PR came originally from English such as matre instead of colchon. I have no idea how they used to say it before. In Cuba we say cake, but that is another English word, I am still not sure what word Cubans used for cake before this became the standard word, but I have the feeling it was pastel.

Another difference that I see is that in Cuba we eat tamales, made from corn, while in PR they eat pasteles made from something else.

There are also differences in pronunciation: In Cuba we do not pronounce the R as Puerto Ricans do nor do we put the L in place of R, however, in western Cuba we tend to give both letters a different sound, hard to duplicate by non-cubans. In eastern Cuba they do pronounce each of this letters very clearly.

When Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans speak using the correct, standard form, like newscasters, you still can tell they speak with a Caribbean accent, but in that case it is harder to tell which island they are from. However, even then, I am almost always able to tell due to minor differences in entonation.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The cocina/estufa confusion got me into trouble with my late Venezuelan grandmother, many years ago. I had been asked to clean the kitchen, and did so very thoroughly, or so I thought. My grandmother performed an inspection and remarked that 'la cocina esta muy sucia'. I took offence, and was giving her an earful when my mother pointed out that she only meant the stove, not the entire kitchen.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Juancarlos...

That was a great post. I have a question though regarding the pronunciation changes [r] to [l]. I have heard Cubans say amol, instead of amor. As well in Pedro Juan G's books about Cuba when he imitates typical Cuban street girls he uses Caribbean speech patterns as we discussed in other threads which are common in all three countries and the [r] and [l] speech variation is a classic example. I believe other than regional dialects, socio-economic factors come into play with the use of [l] for [r] and other common variations.

LDG.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Lesley, it is strange for a Cuban to say amol, it may happen, but it is almost always the case that this final r is hardly pronounced. However, this is more the case when the r or l are in the middle of a word, as in Armando or Olga, for example. In these cases I cannot represent with letters the sound of the r , but I know that Olga sounds like Ogga, more or less, also alguien which sounds like agguien. So, when Cubans want to correct it, they place an r where the L goes and it sounds like arguien. This is typical of western Cuba only: Havana, Pinar del Rio, Matanzas and some parts of former Las Villas province. East of that area, there is no confusion. Something else I have noticed is that Cubans from the easternmost part of the country, particularly the southern part of former Oriente province, do have a tendency to eliminate the S sound, just as Dominicans do, and sometimes place an S where it does not go. In the rest of Cuba, everyone aspires the S and it sounds like H. In Havana they are always making fun of the way people from the area around Santiago, Bayamo etc. speak.

Now, I do know that in Puerto Rico education and socio-economic factors do come into play with the use of L for R. As well as the particular sound of the R , the way Puerto Ricans use it. But I believe they have to make a conscious effort in order to avoid it.

Cuba was settled from east to west. Obviosly, the first settlers did not have a confusion between R and L, but in western Cuba this characteristic did develop. I have noticed the same among Andalusians. So, my guess is that a lot of people arrived thru the port of Havana after this speech pattern had developed in Andalusia. In this part of Cuba, blacks and whites, rich and poor etc. had that same pronunciation pattern when these two letters are in the middle of a word.

I have read that in Santo Domingo they put the L instead of R but in El Cibao region they have another sound.

I have noticed that Chileans from the Santiago area make the same sounds as Cubans when pronouncing algo or puerco, for example.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lesley D said:
The vocabulary (excluding slang) similarities are due to many factors but the key aspect is proximity. The DR and PR are closer in proximity therefore this aspect lends itself to a shared vocabulary. Again the aspect of linguistic drift discussed by many linguists comes into place. The DR and PR share many lexical properties and Cuba usually is the country that has a unique equivalent to the DR or PR word.
Historically, the DR and PR have had a costant flow of people in either direction.

If you read historical documents written by Dominicans and foreigners in previous times (sometimes, documents written as late as 1930s!) you will notice the constant recognition of people they met in PR and later met again in SD.

Of course, the more extensive flow of people to and from PR to DR and vice versa has become much more formalized and strict in the last 30 or 40 years, but prior to this period all the way to colonial times, these two islands were free for the human flowing, if you will.

This constant flow of people, historically at least, was due to the economic superior position DR (or colony of Santo Domingo) had compared to PR, which was settled by Ponce de Leon, precisely to have a base where the Spaniards could ensure a safer Mona Passage for all the precious cargo heading from Santo Domingo to Spain and vice-versa.

Of course, things have changed, but this inter-connection between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans could very well explain the similarities, more so than with Cuba. Of course, and as you stated, geographic proximity had much to do with this and the remainder was economic reasons.

Lesley D said:
As well, the author of the article commented on the noted speech differences in various parts of Cuba: el acento y la entonaci?n eran muy peculiares y me llamaba la atenci?n (especially the Eastern part of the island) and in Puerto Rico: los puertorrique?os como caribe?os e isle?os tambi?n tienen su manera ?nica de llamar las cosas muy diferentes a como los cubanos le llamamos en nuestra patria.
This is very interesting.

Lesley D said:
BTW abanico really intrigues South Americans. I remember the first time one of my non-Caribbean friends heard me use that word he had know clue what it meant. Apparently this is uniquely DR/PR usage.
Interesting!

Do you know how this word came to be in DR/PR, as oppose to the failure of this word appearing elsewhere in LA.

Lesley D said:
There are more examples but I will conclude here. In spite of the differences I am familiar with all the Cuban vocabulary and it is always good to know the equivalent word. If you wish to read the article in full here is the link.

Articulo
Thanks for the link.

-NAL

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
juancarlos said:
Something else I have noticed is that Cubans from the easternmost part of the country, particularly the southern part of former Oriente province, do have a tendency to eliminate the S sound, just as Dominicans do, and sometimes place an S where it does not go. In the rest of Cuba, everyone aspires the S and it sounds like H. In Havana they are always making fun of the way people from the area around Santiago, Bayamo etc. speak.
This could very well be due to the French or perhaps stronger African influence from nearby Haiti.

Eastern Cuba is intertwined into the history of Haiti, from the French colonist fleeing the former colony to eastern Cuba during the Haitian revolution to subsequent flows of Haitian migrants to Cuba.

juancarlos said:
I have read that in Santo Domingo they put the L instead of R but in El Cibao region they have another sound.
The replacement of the L for the R only occurs in the Santo Domingo area.

In the east, the L is completely dropped in certain cases. For instance, the word falda would be pronounced fada in eastern areas of DR. In the Cibao it would be faida where as Santo Domingo you will hear falda, with a slight emphasis on the L.

juancarlos said:
I have noticed that Chileans from the Santiago area make the same sounds as Cubans when pronouncing algo or puerco, for example.
This is interesting.

Do you have any idea as to why this correlation between Chile and Cuba?

-NAL

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Juancarlos & Nals

Juancarlos,

All that you mention about Cuban speech patterns is absolutely correct and confirms the linguistic research that has been done on Cuba that I have had the privilege to analyze and review. I do agree as well that the usage of amol or any other [r] to [l] variation is rare for a Cuban but this could be an example of cross over speech patterns or an 'acquired' trait due to the movement of people and people of different dialectal backgrounds associating with one another.

To add to your example of placing where it does not belong in the some Carribean dialects you will hear bosca instead of boca and like examples.

As well, my classic Cuban example that I always use when people ask me is the word verdad. A Cuban will always be a Cuban with the pronunciation of that word no matter how much his/her accent changes. The Cuban pronunciation sounds like ve'da. The [r] and [d] are completely suppressed. As well, once I remember being late for lunch with a Cuban acquaintance and when I finally arrived she said to me: t? te pedi'te. I just smiled because there were two classic Caribbean speech patterns in such a short phrase. The sentence structure and the pronunciation of perdiste.

I agree with you that in general the three countries have strong phonetic similarities however, as one consciously listens to a speaker from any of these countries the icons and traits become noticeable. In terms of speed I have to give Cubans that medal hands down especially from certain parts of Cuba.

---------------

Nals,

I agree with your historical assessment regarding the vocabulary similarities between DR and PR Spanish. Just to clarify regarding abanico in other countries it's used for the hand fans you see people using to cool themselves but not in the context of ventilador. The word itself is not strange in other LA countries.

LDG.

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Nals, I don't think it is between Chile and Cuba per se, but instead it may be due to Andalusian influence. Perhaps settlers from the same region of Andalusia, who went to Cuba, also settled that area of Chile and brought that particular pronunciation there as well.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Nal0whs said:
This could very well be due to the French or perhaps stronger African influence from nearby Haiti.

Eastern Cuba is intertwined into the history of Haiti, from the French colonist fleeing the former colony to eastern Cuba during the Haitian revolution to subsequent flows of Haitian migrants to Cuba.

-NAL

That is true.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lesley D said:
Nals,

I agree with your historical assessment regarding the vocabulary similarities between DR and PR Spanish. Just to clarify regarding abanico in other countries it's used for the hand fans you see people using to cool themselves but not in the context of ventilador. The word itself is not strange in other LA countries.

LDG.
This is what I was leading to, but you beat me!:angry: :classic:

-NAL

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Althought I have nothing inteligent to add to this conversation, I think all of the above articles about speech patterns above are going to make it a bit easier for me to understand Cubans and Dominicans now. Before I would just stand there with a "what did you just say" look on my face.

Very good, insightful information!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Another great article-

"El idioma, otra raz?n que nos distingue"

While browsing the web last week I came across this article in a Cuban newspaper from Camag?ey. It was written two years ago and the author wrote a tribute to the Spanish language and specific features of Cuban Spanish. What was mentioned has been discussed before in a few threads but what I wanted to ensure was that I added the article to the most appropriate one and preferably one that I initiated.

The purpose of the thread was to compare lexical differences and similarities between Cuban and Puerto Rican Spanish as discussed in the original article in my first post. Spanish spoken in Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico have more similarities than differences from a linguistic point of view. They share many linguistic features due to their history, geographical proximity and most importantly linguistic drift plays an important role when comparing Spanish spoken in these Caribbean locations. However, anyone who is familiar with Spanish spoken in these regions will also note that there are more lexical (vocabulary) similarities between DR and PR as compared to Cuba and PR or Cuba and DR. Using the DR as the center point the linguistic drift is in this direction ---->.

The similarities that all three islands do share however, revolve around grammatical features and patterns of the language. As mentioned in several threads and posts in the past they all share similar sentence structure that is typical of Caribbean Spanish but differ from the norm of standard Spanish sentence structure. Other common features include dropping the at the end of verb forms and pluralization, excessive usage of "t?" because the is dropped and in the article the change of [r] to [l] which is very common in Puerto Rico is mentioned. This feature is not normally associated with Cuban Spanish which is what I found interesting about the article. I know some Cubans do have this linguistic trait in their speech but in broad terms it's associated with Puerto Rican Spanish, a certain region of the DR and in the article the author clearly mentions in the west of Cuba this features heard for example "palque" instead of "parque".

One other point about the article that really caught my attention was this statement: Camag?ey, tierra del Poeta Nacional Nicol?s Guill?n, es considerada por muchos entendidos la zona geogr?fica de la Mayor de las Antillas donde mejor se habla el espa?ol. I would love to get the opinion of Cubans from other areas of Cuba. How interesting that would be. No doubt the author is truthful but it would make for an interesting discussion about linguistic zones within a country.

Back to vocabulary the article does mention Cuban specific vocabulary and the origins of their words. The demographic makeup of Cuba reflects directly in Cuban specific vocabulary. Most notably are words of African origin that have heavily influenced Cuban vocabulary stemming African popular religions. In the article the author mentions a common word for good-bye "avur" used in Cuba. From a Dominican perspective we should all be able to relate to the equivalent used in the DR.

When it comes to language there's no end to learning and insight but what makes it valuable is if you have a strong understanding, foundation and historical background about that particular language. IMO Spanish is so unique and special because of its history in the Americas and how geographical location and people themselves have influenced the diversity of spoken language today.

If you have chance to read the article you will see how enlightening it is. Good examples are provided too. Patrimonio. El idioma, otra raz?n que nos distingue.

-LDG.

Last edited:

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I am thoroughly enjoying this tread, even though I am not qualified linguisticly to contibute to this.
I am just learning to speak Spanish and I am proud to be able to hold a simple conversation in Spanish.
What I find interesting is the different usages of words and I am also wondering about the political separation between the the DR, PR and Cuba. I am just wondering about the external influences on any living language. How isolated is Cuba because of their uniqueness. Or is it just me who thinks they are?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
snowbird44- Good question-

Although your question has much relevance, the vocabulary differences in Cuba are a result of its history and geographical location specific to the DR and PR only and definitely not a result of political reasons. In general terms it's not isolated at all and it's part of the Greater Antilles. Due to tourism principally post 1959 Cuba has maintained its social interaction with the rest of the world. It takes centuries for a region to be considered isolated and to have an affect on language. You must also keep in mind although there are many vocabulary differences in expressions (locuciones) Cuba's vocabulary is very comparable to Spanish spoken in other parts of Latin America. There are an infinite number of lexical similarities if you compare Cuban Spanish to Spanish spoken in other Latin American countries and this does not mean that it does not have similarities with the DR and PR because it certainly does. There are many commonalities vocabulary wise just as there are differences.

From a linguistic point of view Cuba is not a country that is considered isolated as it relates to language. If anything Spanish spoken in Cuba is representation of a rich linguistic patrimony that began from colonization, to independence, to the start of the revolution, to present day. Spanish spoken in Cuba is influenced by indoamericanismos, africanismos, French and English. The English influence particularly dates back a long way (especially up to 1959) and extends to modern day influences via sports, medicine, tourism etc. Cuban Spanish is not considered archaic either. Like Spanish spoken in any other Spanish-speaking country it has varying levels of speech i.e. informal speech "el habla popular", formal (educated) speech, jerga (slang), vulgar etc. and a wide range of vocabulary. Spanish spoken in Cuba as compared to other countries has been maintained and there are many well-spoken and well-educated Cubans who are manifestation of this both in Cuba and abroad.

-LDG.

Mephs

Sep 11, 2003
Lesley,

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I enjoyed the articles very much, since I can relate to some of the difficulties "translating" my PR spanish in the DR. It is particularly difficult with fruits and vegetables, since you can find the same produce items but many times they are called by different names. The one that's been the hardest for me to describe to Dominicans has been the "coraz?n" (which according to the article is a chirimoya in Cuba). I've always described it as a fruit that looks like a "n?spero", but I've gotten blank stares as if they don't know what that is either. Some other examples not mentioned in the article are:

• (DR) - (PR) - (US)
  • chinola - parcha - passion fruit
  • casta?o - pana or panap?n - breadfruit
  • buenpan - pana de pepita - breadfruit nut
  • cajuil - pera maraya - ????
  • auyama - calabaza - pumpkin

Thanks again... Carlos

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Lesley,

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I enjoyed the articles very much, since I can relate to some of the difficulties "translating" my PR spanish in the DR. It is particularly difficult with fruits and vegetables, since you can find the same produce items but many times they are called by different names. The one that's been the hardest for me to describe to Dominicans has been the "coraz?n" (which according to the article is a chirimoya in Cuba). I've always described it as a fruit that looks like a "n?spero", but I've gotten blank stares as if they don't know what that is either. Some other examples not mentioned in the article are:

• (DR) - (PR) - (US)
  • chinola - parcha - passion fruit
  • casta?o - pana or panap?n - breadfruit
  • buenpan - pana de pepita - breadfruit nut
  • cajuil - pera maraya - ????
  • auyama - calabaza - pumpkin

Thanks again... Carlos

With the exception of calabaza, I do not recognize any of the other names listed here. I don't think there is breadfruit in Cuba, and I don't know what the others are.

Status
Not open for further replies.