1st time to DR and not the last...

PTB

Dec 7, 2005
My wife and I just returned on Friday and already miss it.

We stayed at the Melia Caribe from 12/9-12/15. The resort was fantastic and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was ok, but we didn't go there to eat! Don't get me wrong, there was a large variety, but the food looked better than it tasted. The room was beautiful, the grounds were unbelievable, and the beach was perfect!

We made a lot of friends (all from Canada for some reason) that we plan on staying in touch with.

The weather was perfect. Everyday was 80-85?F and mostly sunny.
It would rain in the early, early morning, but would stop by 8:00AM or so. Too early for us to even know.

We did a 1/2-day snorkeling trip, went parasailing, and hired a friend of a resort employee to take us to a school that was off the beaten path. I was blown away at the poverty. The "School" was like a 12' x 12' room with about 60 kids in there. The desks were jammed together and some of the kids were sitting on the floor. We brought school supplies, toys, t-shirts, ball caps, and candy. The teacher actually had us pass the candy out to the kids. I told our guide to have her pass out the other things. We didn't want to upset the daily routine. It was short and sweet. The kids were in awe of my wifes long blond hair and kept feeling it. We asked if we could have a quick group photo. The teacher agreed, but only the fairest skinned kids could be in the picture. I didn't realize what happened until after we left and our guide informed us that the reason for that was that they didn't want people that we showed the pictures to assume that it was like Africa or something...? I thought that was crazy, but whatever. I'm not one to question their request. All in all a great day. It was nice to get off the resort for a day.

We walked the beach daily and bought some rum and gifts for friends back home. The vendors are intense, but that didn't stop us. They all start with: "My friend, I have a question for you". "Come see my shop".... Not a question really... Funny though. Seemed like all of the shops had the same things.

It started to rain as we drove to the airport to go home, so I didn't feel bad for leaving. My wife and I were quiet on take off. I think we both left a little of us back there.

We fell in love with the DR and it's people. We can't wait to go back.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You'll do. Come back soon.

And next time come to the North Shore and get down to Santiago to see what a
"real" Dominican city looks like...

Cordially,

HB:D:D:D:D

Sep 19, 2005
I agree with HB. I think i am spoiled somewhat. Because i went off the beateb path long before I ever saw a beach. My first trip here 3 years ago , caught me by surprise when we drove down the back roads on our hunting trips. Life was lived within 50 yards of the road in those out of the way places. I remember seeing so many beautiful people, in tatters of clothes, so close to the roads. Kids playing their games within 10 feet of the highway, men and women sitting at tables set up for eating or just talking also within 10 feet. The groups of people were amazing.The things for sale on the roads, the animals the foods the things made or grown locally. usually each earea had something.if it was cashews then there were 25 stand selling the same thing. If it was wooden statues it was 25 people all selling them. But back back into the sticks is where you would catch childrens eyes and they would not let you go. It was like they asked a dozen question through those eyes as you drove by. the mountains STEEP in shearness as well as history. I remember an abandoned beach on the Samana peninsula. i have posted some picture here of it. Itw as a sight to see. No one to be seen, the shore litered by the last high tide or storm surge.

I know it is a tall task to get away on your own, or get lucky enough to have someone take you unbiasedly through out all that the country offers. You will wintness happiness where you least expect it, and you will see sorroow first hand. You can count the crosses that line the road, and read the people faces as they tell you, thats life. wait till a feista comes to town and see the people outpour their souls into showing off . la Vega has a huge really wild display of costumes once a year. Go to the beach club and be comfortable for a week, then the next time get out.

good luck...bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
PTB said:
The kids were in awe of my wifes long blond hair and kept feeling it. We asked if we could have a quick group photo. The teacher agreed, but only the fairest skinned kids could be in the picture. I didn't realize what happened until after we left and our guide informed us that the reason for that was that they didn't want people that we showed the pictures to assume that it was like Africa or something...? I thought that was crazy, but whatever. I'm not one to question their request.
If there is a next time, question their request. Can you imagine how the darker kids felt.:nervous:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
You will be back. Just like the rest of us. Once you see the real country, you always return and bring things with you for the children. I went to the DR 10 years ago. I haven't been to another island since then. Every year, twice a year, I return. I used to go to a different island each year. I'm stuck on the DR. It feels like home to me now.

Pinkie623

Nov 27, 2005
Hey I stayed at the Melia in Nov. I did hop on a bus and I saw some of the countryside. I can't wait to go back I have been looking into some hostels, they are super cheap and just hike around the country.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Give them lots of hugs, kisses & reassurance

rellosk said:
If there is a next time, question their request. Can you imagine how the darker kids felt.:nervous:

Every child needs to be Told how important,needed,loved he/she is. Next time around, hug each & everyone and say you love them.

PTB

Dec 7, 2005
rellosk said:

I will be back and feel the same way about the darker kids. Like I said, in the heat of everything I didn't know what was going on until after we left. I just thought that the teacher only wanted a few kids up there, so it wasn't too crowded. My heart sunk in my gut when our guide told me about the light skinned deal.

PTB

Dec 7, 2005
Charlielyn said:
You will be back. Just like the rest of us. Once you see the real country, you always return and bring things with you for the children. I went to the DR 10 years ago. I haven't been to another island since then. Every year, twice a year, I return. I used to go to a different island each year. I'm stuck on the DR. It feels like home to me now.

I met a couple from Toronto that said the same thing. They have been all over the world, but keep coming back to the DR. 12 times for them now.
I was able to get a small idea of why, but I think I need to go back soon just to make sure.....:classic:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
rellosk said:

No kidding. Just reading that made my stomach turn.

There's nothing like teaching a kid that they are worthless and too embarrassing to have in a picture.

Scandall