JetBlue to STI ... In the Middle of the Night

FleeTheSnow

Dec 19, 2005
My husband and I are planning our first trip to DR this February - probably to spend most of our time in Samana/Las Galeras. We're seriously considering taking JetBlue to STI, because it's only US $240 pp round trip, but we're a little concerned that the flight there arrives at 2:15 am and the flight back departs at 3:15 am. How easy/safe is it to get transportation or lodging in Santiago in the middle of the night? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Another option

FleeTheSnow said:
My husband and I are planning our first trip to DR this February - probably to spend most of our time in Samana/Las Galeras. We're seriously considering taking JetBlue to STI, because it's only US $240 pp round trip, but we're a little concerned that the flight there arrives at 2:15 am and the flight back departs at 3:15 am. How easy/safe is it to get transportation or lodging in Santiago in the middle of the night? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
There are taxis available at all hours, as long as there are flights coming in.
What do you think of simply taking a taxi direct to the Samana peninsula?
You would get there early in the morning, save the cab fare to Santiago and the hotelas well, and whatever transport cost you might incur getting there the next day.
All in all, it would not cost you very much more, if anything at all.
I expect the taxis would want $150 US, but I bet you could get it for $120.
As you would arrive early in the day, you would not have to pay for a hotel that night, and it would give you an extra day's vacation.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i am sure you have nothing to worry about. the NICE thing about flying at that time of night....is that you will not have any lines at security to deal with.

I am also sure that your hotel can arrange for a taxi to pick you up. You are first timers...i would certainly recommend that. I stay at non AI's ...and either they pick me up in person or they have a driver at the airport for me. Just ask them

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
FleeTheSnow said:

Thanks!

JetBlue that time of night no problem. Just look on the board for J.J. he will pick you up not a problem and bring you where ever you choose... very nice, on time, and speaks English. I personally would not use no one else. Good luck and enjoy.;)

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
We arrived in Santiago in November at around 1:00am on a VERY delayed AA flight and had no problem getting a good, safe cab to our hotel in the city.

Sep 19, 2005
I really hate to be mr negative. But I have taken a few taxis, even though i always rent a car when there. My opinion is that many of these taxis are a death trap at the very least. They look as if they are about to fall apart . I see many that obviously need shocks or springs, the doors dont close all the way, they need mufflers ect ect. I took a few around Santo Domingo, because i didnt want to get lost driving anymore. But a trip from STI to Samana in the next taxi that shows up at the airport???????????? man that sounds like a crap shoot to me!. Again I know it was Santo Domingo, but i asked at the front desk of the nice hotel I was staying to call me a taxi, and make sure its a decent running car. A newer car.."do you understand me?".. he said OK no problem. Well a real junker shows up. the car is leaning to one side, and the floor boards are showing through. and the mufflers has a hole in it. Maybe I am gonna be carbon monoxided to death by the time I get where I am going.

so I would advise that you take up the persons advice that you call this guy JJ who has what most think is a decent car and let him drive you. He already has a good reputation. Or take the trip into Santiago , get some sleep and a good breakfast in the morning. Drive through santiago for an hour see the city some, and then take a leisurely ride to samana during the day so you can see what you are passing! The road is poor( especially up to San Fransisco De Macoris) and it could take 3 hours as it is. If you could do it twice you would appreciate the day trip and the sights more than the extra time at your final destination.

You could even choose the big bus as an option the next day from Santiago to Samana....big comfortable ride...........

best of luck...bob

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
We frequently send taxis to pick up our guests at different airports around the country; Santiago at 2am is no exception. Right now the cost for Santiago to Las Galeras is about $150usd and contrary to what's posted above, the taxis we use are fairly new, with a/c and a driver that at least speaks some English. Our drivers wait right at the exit from Customs and have a sign with the guest's name on it. They travel at all hours of the day and night and usually keep us abreast of the trip via cell phone. And other than late arrivals, we've not had any problems doing this.

Taxi pickup and return to the airports is a common thing with many hotels in the DR.

And regarding poor roads, maybe the back road shortcut from La Vega to San Francisco de Macoris may not be in good condition (it's been 3 years since I drove it), but the Autopista south from the airport to the regular SFM cutoff/exit is excellent. The cutoff is also in good condition as is the road from SFM to Nagua and then to Samana and Las Galeras (used it last week). There are a few places where it needs attention but overall it is in good shape as DR roads go.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Andy B said:
And regarding poor roads, maybe the back road shortcut from La Vega to San Francisco de Macoris may not be in good condition (it's been 3 years since I drove it), but the Autopista south from the airport to the regular SFM cutoff/exit is excellent. The cutoff is also in good condition as is the road from SFM to Nagua and then to Samana and Las Galeras (used it last week). There are a few places where it needs attention but overall it is in good shape as DR roads go.

hey I will say that the road going from Moca to SFM was poor at best. That appears to be the main drag from Santiago to Samana. At least certainly looks like the shortest route on the map. I actually had to go to La Vega on our trip out to Samana and DID actually take the road from just south of La Vage to SFM.. that road was the best road in all of the DR i think...long straight and flat. We hit the poor road from SFM to Moca/ Santiago and our return trip. So i was on both roads. Dont know about the road along the north shore..it is anothe rpossibility I guess, but looks much longer. And yes i concur that the road gets much better from SFM to Samana.

also I did mention up front i didnt take a lot of Taxis and they were in Santo Domingo. I have seen plenty of decent taxis, thats why i asked for a good newer vehicle. My point would be at 2am, if you elect to just try and pick a taxi on the spot, you may not have the best vehicles to choose from ...FOR A LONG RIDE!!!!!!

again best of luck.....bob

FleeTheSnow

Dec 19, 2005
Thanks for the advice, everyone! It sounds like we have a few decent options. We've ridden through Costa Rica on a dilapidated ex-school bus, so as long as a vehicle is safe, we're okay with it ... and a few days on the beach makes up for a little discomfort on the road :)