Samana

filouminou

Dec 21, 2005
How much is a taxi from the airport to Samana , if not from the city to samana will be arriving in the evening on the 24 should I try to get there the same evening or should I sleep in the city and try to get there tommorow other transport alternatives .

appreciate any help.

regards

hedlykarok

Mar 3, 2005
www.latinamericanlady.com
your best bet would be to guagua or cab to sosua and spend the night there.
the next morning there's a bus (caribe or metro) that leaves around 730am to samana with limited stops. you'd be in samana by noon an spend around $200 pesos.
a taxi's gonna cost about $70-80 us.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
filouminou said:
How much is a taxi from the airport to Samana , if not from the city to samana will be arriving in the evening on the 24 should I try to get there the same evening or should I sleep in the city and try to get there tommorow other transport alternatives .

Which airport are you talking about? If Santo Domingo, you have a number of bus options available to you the morning after you arrive. If Puerto Plata, you have very limited options, and Caribe Tours or Metro is not one of them. There are no Caribe Tours or Metro buses from Puerto Plata or Sosua to Samana.

Let us know which airport you are flying into and we can give you more details on getting to Samana.

hedlykarok

Mar 3, 2005
www.latinamericanlady.com
"There are no Caribe Tours or Metro buses from Puerto Plata or Sosua to Samana. "

when did that change? i used to take those all the time.
are there still buses to nagua?
after that one could guagua to samana.

Sep 19, 2005
"if not from the city to samana will be arriving in the evening on the 24 should I try to get there the same evening or should I sleep in the city and try to get there tommorow other transport alternatives "

and you guys give me big bawlls for my typing skills

ha ha ha

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:Please tell us what airport you are arriving at???
That way we can help you.

Yes, Ken, I thought that there was that bus that leaves really early and travels the coast road around to Samana?? Oh, I see (OIC), it is not a Caribe Tours bus?

Anyway, Mr. Original Poster, tell us where you will land and we will get you to the Saman? Peninsula....from whereever it is..

HB :D:D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
hedlykarok said:
"There are no Caribe Tours or Metro buses from Puerto Plata or Sosua to Samana. "

when did that change? i used to take those all the time.
are there still buses to nagua?
after that one could guagua to samana.

There has been no Caribe Tour service for a long time, unfortunately. There are some private companies, each with one vehicle, making the round trip,that go between Puerto Plata and Samana. To take those vehicles you must be sanding along the highwa when they pass.

It is easier to get to Samana from Santo Domingo because both Metro and Caribe Tours have several buses making that trip each day.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or from Santiago, that has at least six and possible eight busses leaving for Saman? each day. :D:D:D:D

HB

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Hillbilly, does Metro or Caribe Tours serve Samana from Santiago or Puerto Plata? I am getting different messages. The Caribe Tours website says there is a bus leaving from Puerto Plata at 7:00AM.

Also, how far is Las Galeras from the Caribe Tours office in Samana? Are there taxi's available?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Neither. Ken says that the only bus service to Samana from POP is one run by a private company. There have been threads on how to catch it in the morning.

Both companies service Samana from Santo Domingo and San Francisco de Macor?s.

Service from Santiago is in smaller, but nice buses. Very efficent. And dirt cheap. You and your friends would love it!!

HB :D:D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are taxis at Caribe Tours bus stop in Samana to take you to Las Galeras. Don't worry about that. More than enough hopeful people meet each bus looking for somebody who wants there service.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
THERE IS NO CARIBE TOUR BUS FROM PUERTO PLATA TO SAMANA. REPEAT, THERE IS NO CARIBE TOUR BUS FROM PUERTO PLATA TO SAMANA.

That bus was discontinued a year or so ago. Probably for lack of enough passengers to make it a paying proposition.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Your original question of how much a taxi costs from the airport in Puerto Plata to Samana or Las Galeras seems not to have been answered. Currently our hotel's guests pay about $150usd for this private pick up service. That is for the entire taxi which is usually an air-conditioned van. Your hotel can arrange this for you.

Ken is correct when he says the Caribe Tours service was discontinued over a year ago. The two private busses that make the daily run are "Colibri" and "Papa Gallo" but I don't know their schedule from POP. They will pass the airport entrance road on the main highway. This intersection is about 1/4th mile from the terminal so be prepared to tote your luggage out to the highway.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Papa Gallo bus leaves Puerto Plata about 6:30 am and gets to Sosua about 7 am. Whenever I take it, I plan to be on the street in front of Playero Supermarkt before 7 am to flag it down.

But with respect to taxi charges, the first responder assumed he was landing at the POP airport, but that has never been said by the original poster, even though Hillbilly and I have both asked for this information.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This being the case, you will need to overnight at one of the hotels in Santo Domingo--Neopolitano is a good, inexpensive one, and then take a cab to the Metro or Caribe Tours station fro your trip to Samana..

At a rough guess, a taxi from the airport to Saman? at that time of the night would be in excess of $300 dollars. I know I would not do it for less....

HB :D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly is right, you should plan to spend the night in Santo Domingo. No buses will be available until morning, and traveling on the Dominican highways is avoided as much as possible even by Dominicans. Too dangerous due to road conditions, drunk drivers, animals on the road, cars and motorcycles without lights, etc, etc.

Caribe Tours has buses leaving at 7:00, 8:30 and 10:00 am. Or if you decide to explore Santo Domingo a bit, there are buses at 1:30, 2:30 and 4:00 pm. Figure 4+ hours to Samana.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Taxis from the airport in Santo Domingo to Samana or Las Galeras are $175usd no matter what time of the day or night. We have guests picked up there all the time. However, arriving at 9pm or so, I too would recommend spending the night in Santo Domingo and then taking the bus the next day. Private taxi or overnighting and the bus; they are going to cost almost the same to Las Galeras once all costs are figured: taxi from SD airport to hotel downtown, dinner, breakfast, taxi to bus station, bus tickets, taxi from Samana to Las Galeras. This is why many of our guests opt to be picked up: same cost and a lot less hassle (unless the guests wish to spend some time in SD on the way). And for those guests of ours that do wish to spend the night coming or going, we have a special rate extended to our guests at the Hodelpa Caribe Colonial, a nice botique hotel in the Zona Colonial.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Huh?

It sure may be more comfortable to just take a Taxi to Samana but the same price?

Lets see:
taxi from SDQ to Gazcue. 800 pesos.
Cheap hotel in Gazcue for the night 900 pesos
taxi to caribe tours in the morning 100 pesos
caribe tours to samana less than 300 pesos?
taxi from samana to las galeras ?

Adding in lunch and dinner has no relevance unless Samana has some mystical power making people not hungry? I assume one would have to eat in La Galeras as well as Santo Domingo? Probably cheaper in Santo Domingo;-)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
rafael said:
It sure may be more comfortable to just take a Taxi to Samana but the same price?

Lets see:

Cheap hotel in Gazcue for the night 900 pesos

I pay 600 pesos for one bed, 750 pesos for 2 in Gazcue at Hotel La Grand Mansion on Danae.