World Baseball Classic

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
Hey just wonderin who thinks the Dominican Rep. will win the W.B.C. I think their only real competition is the U.S.A and Venezuela

My First Thread <--- :nervous:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I think the DR can win, but they will have a much tougher road than the US to get there. The 2nd round bracket for DR if all goes as one thinks would be DR, Venezuela, PR and Panama (or Cuba as the 4th team if they play.)

The US bracket possibly would include, Mexico, Japan and Korea maybe?

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
NY1 said:
I think the DR can win, but they will have a much tougher road than the US to get there. The 2nd round bracket for DR if all goes as one thinks would be DR, Venezuela, PR and Panama (or Cuba as the 4th team if they play.)

The US bracket possibly would include, Mexico, Japan and Korea maybe?

im not sure about cuba read somewhere that they are not allowed to play in the classic but i still hope the Dominican Republic wins it i would have so much bragging rights!

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/sports/13408552.htm <-- article on Cuba not playing

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
str8d0minikan said:
My First Thread <--- :nervous:
Assuming Robert doesn't close it (There are about 3 other realted threads and Robert is not a lover of Baseball), it's sure to be a long one!

Until the rosters are finalized it's kind of hard to determine which teams will be competitive. But in addition to the teams you mentioned, I wouldn't count out Japan or even Korea.

One thing for sure, it should be a great tournament!

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
All steroid jokes aside, I wonder why Sosa is not on the list of possible players?

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
hmh i went to the orioles site to see if sosa is injured or sumtin like that but his last injury was to his big toe. a showdown between the USA andd Dominincan Rep. would be great this is history wat ever team wins will go down as the first team to ever win a world baseball classic

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
str8d0minikan said:
hmh i went to the orioles site to see if sosa is injured or sumtin like that but his last injury was to his big toe. a showdown between the USA andd Dominincan Rep. would be great this is history wat ever team wins will go down as the first team to ever win a world baseball classic

Sammy Sosa was been cut by the O's. So it looks like Sosa needs to look for a new team.

It should be a fun baseball classic! :classic:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
The US will win.......

......and DR will come in second... Why? because while DR has the big hitters: Vlady Guerrero, David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Adrian Beltre, Etc. The US has the better pitching: Roy Halladay, Andy pettitte, John Smoltz, Dontrelle Willis, Chad Cordero. And you know what they say about pitching vs. hitting? Right?!

The other teams haven't got a chance!:tired:

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
Don Juan said:
......and DR will come in second... Why? because while DR has the big hitters: Vlady Guerrero, David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Adrian Beltre, Etc. The US has the better pitching: Roy Halladay, Andy pettitte, John Smoltz, Dontrelle Willis, Chad Cordero. And you know what they say about pitching vs. hitting? Right?!

The other teams haven't got a chance!:tired:

yeah but these guys arent just great hitters their also outstanding fielders so everytime the othe team makes a hit it will just end up in a glove

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Think so?

str8d0minikan said:
yeah but these guys arent just great hitters their also outstanding fielders so everytime the othe team makes a hit it will just end up in a glove

This is not to say that we won't give them great competition, but.......
With pitchers like Willis & Halladay, our guys are gonna have a tough time seeing, much less, hitting the ball!
I'll be rooting for DR but with just these guys and oh, Roger clemens, the US team will simply be too awesome to beat.
The only two pitchers worth mentioning for our side are Pedro Martinez & bartolo Colon. These two can throw but are not as good as the likes of Dontrelle Willis.
We'll need a lot of luck to beat the US... Hope I'm wrong.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hlywud said:
It will not be a real World Classic unless the US Dept. of Treasury gets a life and allows the Cuba team to play, beside Boston Red Sox need some more players to defect.
I was under the impression that the decision to play is Cuba's, not the US.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
That's right.

Hlywud said:
It will not be a real World Classic unless the US Dept. of Treasury gets a life and allows the Cuba team to play, beside Boston Red Sox need some more players to defect.

It won't be a true "world series" unless the certified baseball powerhouse that Cuba is, is allowed to participate.
If there's one country in the world takes it's baseball seriously, this would be Cuba. they would make one heck of an opponent and will only enhance and bring a much bigger audience & prestige to a sport that doesn't have the kind of luster that soccer has.
This the one time opportunity the US has to show that sports sometimes bring nations closer than political coercion & exclusion. (remember ping-pong deplomacy?).
If Cuba is not invited and the DR wins it all, perhaps we can set up a championship series against Cuba to put an end to the debate as to who's got the better players!