DR and Haiti

db23

Dec 22, 2005
Is it posible to go by rented car from DR to Haiti vithout visa?
What about safety and hospitality?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
db23 said:

Yes. It is possible.

It is also possible to go there in a taxi or a bus. You can even go there on a mule or on foot. But you better have a good reason. It is dangerous. No joke.

Scandall

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
No, you can?t take a rented car from DR to Haiti. Best is to get to the border with Caribe Tour, and then have a friend from the haitian side pick you up with a good jeepeta !

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
db23 said:

If you plan to go to Haiti for pleasure (not business), then be extra extra extra extra extra extra careful.

If I were you, I would stay in the DR. Just to be safe.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Last person I know that went to Haiti told me that while passing through the first village, there was a dead guy laying on the side of the street, with his head cut off on top of his torso. Apparently he was caught a 3rd time stealing chickens and they put his body up for display to other would-be thieves.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And the moral is? Don't steal chickens. ;)

Seriously though, I saw a far worse sight on my last visit to Haiti. Makes my blood curdle and my innards churn just remembering it.

OP - I would advise against going to Haiti - 'a lo loco' - for the sake of it. If you have friends, contacts or business there it's a different matter - and they can advise you on all the practicalities far better than any of us here.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I went

No, you can't take a rental car across. Plus when you rent a car you usually need to leave your passport with the rental business.
I went to Haiti and went by bus. I also went with a trusted Haitian friend.
There are places to go and not to go-but very interesting to say the least and for being just across a river-it is different.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jrf said:
No, you can't take a rental car across. Plus when you rent a car you usually need to leave your passport with the rental business.

No reputable agency, and no client in their right mind, would ask for, or allow leaving, a passport to rent a car in the DR or any other country on earth.

Sep 20, 2003
I spent almost one month in Haiti earlier this year. I had an interesting time. Interesting as well as enjoyable.

Don't let people scare you off.

The Haitians are very friendly and always showed great hospitality towards me. I had no complaints.

That being said, you should be careful. Haiti is a mess politically, the police are not really around very much. Outside Port au Prince, I rarely saw any. The Haitian police were cool, I was never asked for bribes or harassed. Nothing like that.

Like all countries, there are criminal elements.

I usually travelled with Haitian friends.

The only place in Haiti I would not travel alone in was Downtown Port au Prince. I actually wondered deep into the slums to visit a couple of different Haitian artists who used real skulls and bones in their artwork. That was kinda scary, but it was interesting, and since I didn't get killed, I was glad I did it. I brought a Sony digital camcorder into the slums with me and no one tried to rob me or anything like that. But I was with a Haitian friend who knew the artists. They travelled around with me. That WAS downtown Port au Prince.

Places like Pentionville(an upperclass enclave in the mountains overlooking P-au-P) were pretty safe. I walked around there by myself, no problems.

The are a lot of nice resturants in Petionville. One that you really should visit is the "Cafe Albert" . It is extremely nice. It has red and black walls, plasma TV's and a live band playing very soft jazz music. A fantastic place, 1920's left bank atmosphere, fairly expensive, but truly worth it. You have to see it to believe it. VERY posh. I was introduced to ex President Perval's wife there. (I believe it was his EX-wife actually)She was a lovely girl.

Once you leave the Haitian capitol, there are only a couple places that I was warned against going to. One was Goniaves, a city farther north. It was ravaged by a hurricane in 2004 and was still a complete disaster. Food riots, poor sanitation, and a battalion of Argentine soldiers attempting to keep order. I would avoid that place.

The other place was a town I actually wanted to visit called Petite Goave. It is on a penisula below Port Au Prince. Last winter ex soldiers from Haiti's disbanded army had over ran the town and were setting up road blocks and patrolling the place. One of Haiti's Emperor's has his tomb there, I had hoped to visit it and stay the night at a guest house which was once the Emperor's vacation home.It wasn't possible. Later, after I left Haiti I read that the United Nations troops attacked the town and killed or captured all the ex soldiers. I believe two Sri Lankan UN soldiers were shot to death in that operation. But that area is now under UN/Haitian police control.

I have read about Haitian paramilitary groups like the "Cannibal army" controlling rural areas in Haiti, but I never saw any of that. I think it is more media hype than reality.

The countryside is worth seeing. The Haitians are really friendly, waving,smiling, and always willing to give you directions. I was able to track down a 200 year old steam engine used in sugar production before the slave revolt. It is outside of Jacmel, not in a museum, where it should be, but out in the middle of banana fields covered in rust. It's huge, and almost entirely intact. Ask around when driving down the beach road toward Jacmel Caye, locals will direct you to it. There are no roads to it, you'll have to park and walk.

Jacmel is really nice. It has the same architecture as New Orleans. You can also see the actual house where an exiled Simon Bolivar designed the flag of venezuela. It is painted pink and when I saw it, it was a Christian gift shop.

If you have Haitian friends it will make a HUGE difference. Not just as far as safety, but in terms of prices paid for items and services. If you see something you like, have a Haitian friend go back and buy it for you, otherwise you will have to pay the "white man's price" for most everything.

I was never a crime victim.

I didn't expect Haiti to be such a great experience, but I had a blast. I loved it. I definately plan to go back.

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
To Joel Pacheco :

I am glad you wrote that good post, because I am having the same good experience in the Haitian north coast (mainly around Cap Haitien). It?s been 10 years that I travel quite often there, and enjoy it a lot. I do however admit that the country has been going down the tube ever since Aristide?s last years of presidency...

But the important fact that you mentionned was to be with Haitian friend.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I think the other question for the OP is why do you want to go there? Who are you ? Do you speak spanish or french? Are you alone or with a family?

I went there one time only and I don't recommend it. I am white, female and blonde. I was with a Dominican and we were there on business. I can tell you that many times I did NOT feel safe. It is not a trip that I suggest. Just my 2 pesos worth.

Sep 20, 2003
I'm white. That did of course draw some attention to me, but not so much as to be a problem. The Haitians never showed any hostility towards me. There is sometimes minor problems with street children begging for coins, but it is a very minor thing.

There were quite a number of white people in Haiti when I was there. Most work for the United Nations or Church organizations. The Christian relief workers seemed to be able to travel anywhere unmolested, even into the slums of Cite Soliel and Belair. There were also journalists and art dealers mining for Haitian art.

Since I left I did read of some Christian missionaries being held for ransom, then released. So there is some risk involved. But it is probably more of a risk to be kidnapped in Mexico or Columbia than Haiti.

I did come across white people wandering through Jacmel, apparently they were tourists. I never attempted to speak to any of them, so I don't know what they were up to. Jacmel was an extremely safe town when I was there.

It doesn't seem that being white will make you more of a target than anyone else. Most crime victims in Haiti are Haitians.

I guess it is best not to wander around at night, but, I have to admit, I did wander alone in the dark.

Be cautious, as you would in most cities of the world.

I think it is best only to go if you have connections. Haiti is not the place to joy ride. The country has definately declined under Aristide's rule, so plan your trip carefully.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I think for me that a lot of my time was in the capital! I enjoyed reading both your posts joel.

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
Finally! A post that I can have an authoritative answer on. I have spent some time in Haiti. I used to be in charge of a program at our church. I would regularly travel to Haiti and buy hand crafts. These crafts would be sold to the diocese as a fund raiser. The funds would then be sent back to Haiti to help support a school, convent, a hospital (clinic to developed world standards) and a parish.

1)A native can drive from DR to Haiti. YOU can't. There are no traffic laws in Haiti. Without knowing the local customs for driving, you won't survive. There is no right or left of the road, no stop and right of way and swapping paint is like a social affair in Haiti. You can technically rent a car in Haiti but if you're not a local they won't even consider it. If you could, they start out at over US $100 / day.
2)If you do go to Haiti, go with a local guide. This is for more then your convenience, it is for your safety. Haiti used to be a place where you could walk down the streets of Port-au-Prince at night and be perfectly safe even though there is no law to speak of. The local culture protected you. That is no more. You also need help getting to a hospital if you are hurt. Medical care in Haiti is poor at best.
3)Haiti today is a dangerous and dirty place. I may be deranged but I love it there. If you like people from different cultures, Haiti can be a wonderful experience. The people are great and you will be totally removed from your first world life. I have had experiences there that I can't even describe to others who haven't shared the experience. There is just something about the place that is inexplicable.

I am unusual in that for some reason that I can't explain, I felt totally comfortable in Haiti from the first time that I stepped off of the plane on my first trip. People that I have taken down have invariably had the same reaction. The poverty is incredible. It is not unusual to see death and suffering all around you. While down there, they say that they will never come back. About 3 to 5 days after we return to the US, they come to me and ask when we can go back. From then on they enjoy the trip from beginning to end.

If you want to go down, I can get you in touch with some people that will show you around. I can also arrange safe and cheap stay in Port-au-Prince. Options are a convent, a visitation house, and a regular hotel. Although they don't normally do this, I can probably arrange for a place to stay outside of Jacmel in the back country.

I recommend Jacmel in the south for your first trip. The government has put a lot of money into the place to attract tourists. Don't worry though, the culture and place have been preserved. It is just cleaner and safer then the other major cities.

I don't know this but I may even be able to arrange for someone to meet you at the DR border. But be aware that the drive will take all of a day after you leave the DR. Send me a PM and we can talk.

Bruce

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
Joel,

You said that you where looking for artists. Did you visit Isus gallery in PAP?

Bruce

Sep 20, 2003
Hello Bruce.

I don't believe I visited the Isus Gallery. I remember visiting the Monnin Gallery(Petionville) several times. I was taken around Port Au Prince and Petionville
to meet several artists in their homes or studios.

I got to know a few Haitian artists personally.

I went to a private party at the Monnin Gallery in January that Wycleff Jean of "Fugees" fame sang . I got to watch the show from the upper balconies, a kind of VIP section. It was great show. The weather at that elevation is quite cool and comfortable. The after party was interesting. I had a good time.

I never actually talked with Wycleff. He was very approachable and friendly, but I wasn't aggressive enough to push through the party to talk with him. He was very tall and smoked what looked like Havana Cigars. He was good natured throughout the whole party. A pleasant surprise.

I have built up a good collection of Haitian Art, voodoo flags, all kinds of things. I only buy Haitian Art direct when I'm in Haiti. It's fun, and every piece of art I own has an interesting experience/story attached to it.

Last edited:

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
Planner,

In Haiti, you have to leave your senses of danger behind. Places that appear as dangerous to us can actually be safe and vise versa.

Joel,

I know what you mean about “interesting story”. Haiti is full of interesting stories and people. Isus is a gallery owned by an American. He employs lessor known but talented artists. Most of the stuff that I bought was popular art. I don't have the eye for fine art purchases. Isus is the real Haitian stuff. Great, but my customers were looking for pretty sunsets. He is a great guy though. Loves to sit and talk while artists work around him.

Speaking of stories. Wen we first went to Isus, my guide got lost. To handle this delay, he leaned out the window and said something to a passing man. Instead of giving us directions, he shouts to another person a block away and the driver takes off. When he passed the next person she pointed down the road and shouted to the next who then pointed for us to turn down another road. The driver continued this chase of strangers pointing fingers and shouting for miles. Finally, a person points to the gate of a house. We were in front of Isus. I like this story because it illustrates a since of community cooperation that is so important to Haitians.

Bruce

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
To The OP,

It's not the typical Hatian you would have to worry about...

Before making a definate desition, I seriously recommend you read the following article in The Washington Post.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
To The OP,

Before making a definate desition, I seriously recommend you read the following article written in The Washington Post.

When I got to the second paragraph, I stopped reading. It started with the following uncompromising statement: "Everyone is a target _". This is not true. We are targets inasmuch as we are perceived to be targets. The reality is that we can control how others perceive us, anywhere, anyplace, and this is the real challenge. For example, on a long stretch of road between Azua and Bani, I saw from afar a lone Haitian migrant walking down the side. As soon as he saw me, he shifted his gait to a long paced stride and started swaying his head side to side. The effect was hilarious. I knew exactly what he was doing, he was immitating what he perceived to be a Dominican's way of walking, and in the process hiding the fact that he was an illegal alien who had just crossed the border.