toxic wastes in samana rumor???

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
i was talking to a dominican yesterday and he told me that the dominican republic government was paid money to have wastes thrown somewhere off of samana. i dont know if its true and if it is when this happened, but the reason why it was brought up is because a young woman was walking down the street with her baby boy prob 8 mo or so and he had what looked like cuts or sores on his face. The people were saying that the reason why he had them and the reason why people are getting sick is bc of the wastes that were thrown of samana. now is any of this story/rumor true?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
They are referring to some fly ash that was deposited in both Manzillo in the northwest corner of the DR and in the port of Arroyo Barril, 5 miles west of Samana. This has been discussed heavily on the DR1 forum and if you will do a search you will find the thread. However, it sounds like someone has embellished the story with the "open sores" on the baby, etc.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Some of the locals in both Samana and Manzanillo---

are trying their best to blame all the maladies that befalls them on the rock-ash and fly-ash that was illegally deposited in their communities. They are doing this in an effort to extort money from those who are guilty of importing this substance into the country. The old "something for nothing" routine.
Whether or not their allegations are credable or not remains to be seen.
Thus far, the "maladies" have been traced to other causes.

Texas Bill

fatratpass

Dec 26, 2004
I cannot comment on the child in question because I have not seen him.

I can comment on children in the Samana penisular and particularly ajacent to the port because I worked in that clinic.

There is widespread scabies in the population, particularly in the area of the ash dump, which has nothing to do with any toxic materials but does indicate a lack of diagnosis and effective treatment of scabies and the secondary infections that follow.

A single patient does not indicate a cause and effect. Do not jump to conclusions. Rumors are just that, rumors.

audboogie said:
i was talking to a dominican yesterday and he told me that the dominican republic government was paid money to have wastes thrown somewhere off of samana. i dont know if its true and if it is when this happened, but the reason why it was brought up is because a young woman was walking down the street with her baby boy prob 8 mo or so and he had what looked like cuts or sores on his face. The people were saying that the reason why he had them and the reason why people are getting sick is bc of the wastes that were thrown of samana. now is any of this story/rumor true?