Playa Grande Golfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
My family and friends are coming to POP for my wedding in Feb. And although I know that they have come to see me get married, I know that I don't want to be spending my whole honeymoon with them...and I know they don't exactly want to hang around the pool all the time either.

Some of my family are avid golf players, and some are considering bringing their golf clubs as they will be here for 2 weeks. I read some posts about Playa Dorada golf course, and not exactly the greatest golf...and not worth bringing their clubs....My family will be staying at Coral Marien, and I have seen the Playa Grande golf course, by driving past it on my way to Nagua. Now THIS would be up to their standards. I was wondering what the cost would be, including a taxi their and back.....plus their round of golf, adn caddy (not sure if they HAVE to have one no this course...) Or if there are better ones closer that I'm not aware of.

I'm not a big golfer, and I'm looking for info for them....
Thanks for your help.
Lisa

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
baileyboy said:
. I read some posts about Playa Dorada golf course, and not exactly the greatest golf...and not worth bringing their clubs....Lisa
A bit of an exageration. Granted Playa Dorada is no Playa Grande, no Teeth of the Dog nor a To Dye Fore. But it is a perfectly adequate resort course. Unless you can tell me that your family-to-be normally play on courses that rank in the top 50 in the world, they should be very satisfied on Playa Dorada, especially when you compare the convenience.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
HOWMAR said:
A bit of an exageration. Granted Playa Dorada is no Playa Grande, no Teeth of the Dog nor a To Dye Fore. But it is a perfectly adequate resort course. Unless you can tell me that your family-to-be normally play on courses that rank in the top 50 in the world, they should be very satisfied on Playa Dorada, especially when you compare the convenience.

No they don't play on the top 50, but they are very experience golf players, who travel just to play golf...and prefer to play courses that offer challenges. And from what I read it wasn't worth the time to bring your clubs to the DR to play at Playa Dorada. I'm not saying it's true b/c I have no idea as far as quality of golf courses go. I just read that, and wanted to hear others opinion. And was wondering if there is anything other options and what the costs would be...to give them atleast different options..should they choose to bring their clubs.
Thanks
Lisa

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Clubs are not the problem

I spent two weeks there last Feb. It rained about 75% of the time. The grounds were so bad they offered a 50% discount. Even with the discount there were some days you just could not play.

JOHN

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
baileyboy said:
No they don't play on the top 50, but they are very experience golf players, who travel just to play golf...and prefer to play courses that offer challenges. And from what I read it wasn't worth the time to bring your clubs to the DR to play at Playa Dorada. I'm not saying it's true b/c I have no idea as far as quality of golf courses go. I just read that, and wanted to hear others opinion. And was wondering if there is anything other options and what the costs would be...to give them atleast different options..should they choose to bring their clubs.
Thanks
Lisa
The last time I checked, the winter greens fee rates are Playa Grande US $120 and Playa Dorada US $75. Both plus tax (16%?).

and prefer to play courses that offer challenges
The great thing about golf. Until the day comes when a man (maybe even a woman) can shoot an 18 hole round with a score of 18, every course will always be a challenge.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Sorry... I'm very golf-challenged (meaning I no NOTHING about golf), when I mean challenges in the course, I'm guess I mean they don't want to zip through the course in a short period of time....maybe I read to much into the posts where they say that Playa Dorada Golf isn't the best quality.
Lisa

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Playa Grande worth the effort

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. The Playa Grande course is definitely worth the expense and hassle to get to for your family members- they will thank you for it! It's a beautiful course on a spectacular penisula and will be long remembered.

Hope they enjoy it!
Rick

Armina

Aug 12, 2003
Playa Grande is beautiful, a great Golf Course, and of course the location is spectacular. Expensive though! Prices are forever changing, what you pay depends on the deal you can get at the Hotel and the Hotel will find them a driver. They should play there at least once, it's a must, non members have to use a cart and a caddy.
There is nothing wrong with the Playa Dorada Golf Course I play there all the time, and like it very much, sure there are more challenging courses, and if it rains a lot it tends to be under water, no worry then, you can't play there anyhow :)
The other Golf Course they might enjoy playing at is the Santiago Course. It's a private course and I don't know what the story is for tourists this year but their Hotel will know. It's hilly and very pretty and has some interesting holes. Good view of Santiago which they might enjoy also, it's only a little over 1 hour away, if it's raining in Puerto Plata might not rain in Santiago often happens.
They should bring their clubs.
Armina

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
baileyboy said:
Sorry... I'm very golf-challenged (meaning I no NOTHING about golf), when I mean challenges in the course, I'm guess I mean they don't want to zip through the course in a short period of time....maybe I read to much into the posts where they say that Playa Dorada Golf isn't the best quality.
Although I haven't played the course in quite some time, I don't remember it being very challenging or having many hazards (just the way a duffer like me likes it). I do remember it being well maintained, although that can change from year to year.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
For any course over a hundred in a DR

It better be exquisite, from the clubhouse, greens, fairways, smoking cart girls and excellent meals and service after your round. I just don't see that happening in the DR.

Coming from one of the mecca golf capitals... Florida, $100 you will be playing pristine courses which are..... by far above DR courses. Don't get stuck in tourist traps, just ask the locals what's the best bang for the buck.;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LISA:

If your group is staying at POP (Playa Dorada) I would suggest that they play Playa Grande!!. It is far above Teeth of the Dog, and has been compared to Pebble Beach by people that have played them both several times!!

That said, it is the most expensive golf course on the North Coast. Lately, Playa Doarda has not been up to par, and the owners do not seem to be spending the necessary money on greenskeeping. I would not relish a round where mud has to play a part.

I would, however, suggest that you play Santiago's , La Aromas. It is a Pete Dye gem that offers all golfers a good time. Costs are minimum, about $40 a round with cart.

You can PM me if you want to set up something at Santiago. Be happy to keep 'em busy for a day/:D:D:D

HB :D:D

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Bailey I can arrange your golf for you at Playa Grande complete with a qualified excellent tour guide. I can help you get to Santiago so you can meet up with Hillbilly too!!!

I agree Playa Grande is stunning! Excellent golf and Playa Dorada has not been upkept as it should.

Just let me know what else they might want to do and I can help you arrange that too!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
www.golf-adventures.org that is run by Juan Luis Hazim organizes daytrips to Playa Grande.
Maybe worth checking, guide, green fee, transportation is included in the tour, and I know many uses the services, although I am not a golfer myself.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Muchas Gracias.....Planner, Hillbilly, Carina, Syrok, Y Dolores!

Planner I will call you, I'm just going to double check with them b/c when they were booking everyone was excited to play golf, but I haven't heard a word since...but I'm sure they will be interested. So I will call you about setting something up....

As well Hillbilly, once I have everything finalized, I'll send you a PM and maybe Planner can help us get to Santiago.

Thanks everyone!
Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.