If flying to Santiago, is P. Plata best?

joangk

Dec 30, 2005
My 15 year old daughter and I will be volunteering at a DR orphanage this summer. We fly into Santiago. We want to relax at the beach when we're finished volunteering. As much as I'd love to go to the Caribbean side for white sand beaches, it seems like it makes more sense to go to Puerto Plata which is the nearest to Santiago. Does anyone know how long and about how much flights are from Santiago to Punta Cana or La Romana? Can anyone just convince me that Puerto Plata beaches are just fine.
Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions and help!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The beaches on the Atlantic side are the most beautiful.
From the Santiago area you have a long list of beaches to enjoy:
Monte Cristi, byhind the El Morro
Buen Hombre--total isolation
Punta Rucia_ total relax
Playa Grande--hotels and beaches
Sos?a- tourists and beaches
Cabarete- kite boarders, wind surfers and beaches

The list just goes on and on and on.

Where will you be volunteering? Ie. what town?

H :D:D:D

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with Hillbilly, there are many nice beaches on the North Coast.......... YOu have lots of choice.

Sep 19, 2005
You know for me a few things make a beach better than another. Like when a waves crashes on the sand the sand is disturbed and suspends. On a really nice beach that sand is super clean and drops fast and the water is crystal clear in a second. On poorer beaches the turbulance takes much longer to filter down . Sosua beach is really nice in that reguard. Even down the line in Playa Dorado some of the beaches I have had the chance to compare during nice sunny days , the water didnt clear up near as fast as SOSUA. The only other place that the water cleared as fast as SOSUA was Cayo Leventado Island... that beach was totally awesome. It could have been better than Sosua except for the fact that once in the water you felt way more rocky bottoms than Sosua. You had to walk a little slower to keep from getting discomfort in the feet. In SOSUA you could walk out a LONG way and not walk on a rock....at least on the side we always stayed at.

bob