Dominican Social Club

Chino

Dec 31, 2005
Residing in Burke, Virginia since Aug 05. Anyone knows if we have a Dominican Social Club in the Wash, DC/Alexandria, Springfield, VA area where Dominicans can meet and socialize?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Chino said:
Residing in Burke, Virginia since Aug 05. Anyone knows if we have a Dominican Social Club in the Wash, DC/Alexandria, Springfield, VA area where Dominicans can meet and socialize?
In D.C there is a Music store by the name Zodiac Record Shop that belongs to a dominican married to a Salvadorean....It is located on 18th street/ Mt Pleasant...You get to see many dominicans there and I am very sure that they will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Also there is a Dominican Restaurant on 14th St South East if not mistaken. If still in business they usually served food around 2AM
Arroz, carne y Habichuelas....It always hit the spot after some serious dancing.

I must warn you though that this place is located in a very bad part of town.

I think the name of the place was/is called Julisa's.

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Do you mean 14th street NW instead of 14th street S.E.? Because Southeast is a bad part of town, unless you have someone who knows the area well.

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
Chino said:

If you hear of one, please let me know. There are a lot of Dominicanos en Montgomery County Maryland especially in the Germantown/Gaithersburg area were I live. I have been looking for a social type club for a while. Perhaps I should stop looking and create one! If there are any 30+ (age) Dominicanos living in the Silver Spring/Rockville/Germantown/Gaithersburg area.....make your presence known. It gets pretty boring around here, and DC is sometimes a long ride away.

Gracias

Dominicubana

La Pagina DominiCubana

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Check Silver Spring MD, I believe there a large amount of Dominicans in the area. I don't know of any social club in the area?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
There are two main organizations
Grupo Dominicano de Professionales en Washington, DC
(www.gdp-wash.org)
and
Grupo Cultural Dominicano.

There is also another group called Grupo de Madrugadores. It's an elderly social club started by dominicans.

For the dominican cultural group you can probably touch bases with people there through Julitos discotec at riggs and university in md.

I'm still way (and probably will be for a while) so I can't be of better assistance.

Chino said:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Does anyone have any contact info for the Dominican softball league in the metropolitan suburb of Maryland?

Has anyone ever played in it or gone to any of the get together?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Count me in!

DominiCubana said:
If you hear of one, please let me know. There are a lot of Dominicanos en Montgomery County Maryland especially in the Germantown/Gaithersburg area were I live. I have been looking for a social type club for a while. Perhaps I should stop looking and create one! If there are any 30+ (age) Dominicanos living in the Silver Spring/Rockville/Germantown/Gaithersburg area.....make your presence known. It gets pretty boring around here, and DC is sometimes a long ride away.

Gracias

Dominicubana

La Pagina DominiCubana

Hola Dominicubana! I too been seeking a club-type place to sit with my compadres but haven't found any as yet.
There's a group at Manna's restaurant in Tacoma Park that gathers, especially on weekend nights, but it's too rambunctious for my taste. All they do is guzzle presidentes and argue politics.....loudly !
The moment you or anyone knows of a decent, sedated & half-civilized DR place, please let us know. I'll come running. Or, as you said, Domini; we may have to open up our own!
BTW: I live in Silver Spring & there ain't nothing here but Salvadorean clubs.
Some of them play a little merengue/bachata but mostly norte?as, ugh!

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
:classic: I know what you mean. Manna used to be a weekly trip for me, but it got a bit rough so I stopped going especially on the weekends. It's a little safer during the week days when everyone is working or still sleeping off the "Presidente":classic:. That reminds me...I'm long over due for some chicharron de pollo! Do you ever go to Divino Lounge in Bethesda? Every Friday night is Latino night. It was really nice, but I haven't been since the summer. They play a little bit of everything.

Don Juan said:
Hola Dominicubana! I too been seeking a club-type place to sit with my compadres but haven't found any as yet.
There's a group at Manna's restaurant in Tacoma Park that gathers, especially on weekend nights, but it's too rambunctious for my taste. All they do is guzzle presidentes and argue politics.....loudly !
The moment you or anyone knows of a decent, sedated & half-civilized DR place, please let us know. I'll come running. Or, as you said, Domini; we may have to open up our own!
BTW: I live in Silver Spring & there ain't nothing here but Salvadorean clubs.
Some of them play a little merengue/bachata but mostly norte?as, ugh!

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
aegap said:
Does anyone have any contact info for the Dominican softball league in the metropolitan suburb of Maryland?

Has anyone ever played in it or gone to any of the get together?
It's been a while but I used to watch a league over near Prince Goerges plaza. I also went to a game off of rt 1 near the Univ. of Maryland. My ex- novio has two uncles that play in the league. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Chino

Dec 31, 2005
Hello everyone, gracias for all the inputs...hope everyone had a great New Year's and a new start for many new accomplishments and achievements....I guess we need to open up our own Dominican place so we can get together...we need to leave our own vibrant culture legacy in the surrounding area of DC...I'll be leaving in Feb 06 for a trip to DR to visit my mom in San Cristobal and we do more research.....I'll go to the Dominican Embassy to touch base and see what's out there for us to enjoy together......Viva nuestra Patria! Also when is the Dominican Parade in New York City?..............

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
No la conosco.

DominiCubana said:
:classic: I know what you mean. Manna used to be a weekly trip for me, but it got a bit rough so I stopped going especially on the weekends. It's a little safer during the week days when everyone is working or still sleeping off the "Presidente":classic:. That reminds me...I'm long over due for some chicharron de pollo! Do you ever go to Divino Lounge in Bethesda? Every Friday night is Latino night. It was really nice, but I haven't been since the summer. They play a little bit of everything.

No que va! never even heard of the Divino Lounge but I'll look it up. I may want to visit. What kind of a crowd is it?.... Don't care for under 30 and extremely loud.
You ever been to "La Yuca" in downtown DC? It's run by a couple of Cubans & the music's pretty good. On Thursdays, I think, they have "cluts night" for people that can't dance Latin very well. Went there 4-5 times this past summer....on Thursdays.

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
Yes, I like Yuca. One of my students is related to the owner. Divino Lounge is an over 30 crowd. I don't have patience for the college group. Here's the website. http://www.divinolounge.com/events.htm . They have lessons on Mondays ;). I's more a restaurant and the dance floor is not that big, but it nice.

Don Juan said:
No que va! never even heard of the Divino Lounge but I'll look it up. I may want to visit. What kind of a crowd is it?.... Don't care for under 30 and extremely loud.
You ever been to "La Yuca" in downtown DC? It's run by a couple of Cubans & the music's pretty good. On Thursdays, I think, they have "cluts night" for people that can't dance Latin very well. Went there 4-5 times this past summer....on Thursdays.

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Do you have to dress up there also does this place lets out at 2:00 am during the weekends?

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
DCKenny said:
Do you have to dress up there also does this place lets out at 2:00 am during the weekends?

Yes, it is a dress to impress type of deal which is why I don't go often. Sometime I don't feel like doing the "salsa" dress and heels bit! Which is why I head down to Habana Villiage. Unfortunately, Habana has changed a lot and tends to bring in the college crowd. It's fine around this time of year, but STAY away during Spring Break and summer weekends. In the summer I go on Thursdays.

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
I'm really not a Adams Moran type of guy because it's in my neighborhood and it gets old so I like to try something different! Oh have been to the Luck Bar during moday I've been there and it's too crowded for me?

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
DCKenny said:
I'm really not a Adams Moran type of guy because it's in my neighborhood and it gets old so I like to try something different! Oh have been to the Luck Bar during moday I've been there and it's too crowded for me?

I haven't been for a while, but it is a bit crowded. I have a friend in Virginia who is always trying to get me to come to some of the clubs down there. I hear there are some really nice ones. My scedule is kind of crazy so I will probably check things out in the summer.