Looking for a Taste of "Real" DR Life...

superninjendo

Dec 31, 2005
Hi There!

I am new to this board so I apologize if I am asking a repetitive question...

My family and I are going to the Occidental Allegro Punta Cana very soon and are looking to go out on a day tour to experience life outside of the resort. We're not interested in swimming with dolphins/sharks or horseback riding; we want to do something exclusive to the country. We don't mind a long day and were thinking about a trip to Santo Domingo. This way we could see the oldest city in the New World and at the same time look at the towns and countryside on our drive there. However, I read some posts that the drive is long and not worth it. Is this true? We're not going for cheap shopping or local art, but to see a few historical landmarks and such.

Any advice including prices, alternative options, taxi vs. bus would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jen
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you really want a taste of the "real" Dominican Republic, then forget taxis and think guaguas. They are how the majority of Dominicans get around, and riding them is a good experience, if you don't mind crowded conditions. I'm not familiar with the south coast so can't give you advice on where to go, but guaguas, if possible, would be a good way to travel at least part of the trip.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
By Canadian standards the drive is not long, approximately the same as Edmonton to Calgary. Yes if you want to see historic buildings the Colonial City in Santo Domingo is worth a visit, the market in Santo Domingo is worth visiting, go see the Cathedro(sp). Unless you speak spanish and like to feel the excitment of near death experiences, I WOULD HIRE A GUIDE/DRIVER. There a number of guides that speak English.
check: santodomingohot.com

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
When I went to the DR for traveling, Mr. Polanco was my tour guide. If you have any questions about travling in the DR, feel free and email him at agencydr@yahoo.com. You can tell him that Chino referred you to him. He speaks good English. :classic:

National business Director
Severino Polanco

SAS Travel & Tours
Excursiones, hoteles, Tours, Tours educativos, Tours de adventura y Trasporte Turtico
Ofc. (809) 788-9116,Cel (809) 882-7972, Fax (809) 596-2987
Apart. Post. Z-077
Santo Domingo, Rep. Dominicana
www.sastravelandtours.com

P.S. Do not forget to bring sun tan lotion with you. I had to learn the hard way.:cross-eye

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to post apostropheman's great post. You can take part of it on how to get to Santo Domingo by bus..How to get from PJU (Punta Cana) to Sos?a on the cheap and safely

From ‘apostropheman”:

Earlier I asked for some assistance on the board with my proposed plan for this trip. Many thanks to all those that offered help and suggestions!

I also received a, very, few suggestions that I was loco...close to the truth
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45791

However I managed to find a flight into PC, landing about 1.5 hours late ...which was good as I had no set plans for accommodation and every hour I didn't have to spend in PC was a bonus. Not that there's anything wrong with Punta Cana but it's not where I wanted to be.

I had no clear thoughts on a hotel and being a very busy season in a primarily AI town I did not have high hopes for decent, inexpensive accommodation and was prepared, in my mind at least, to find a little bar, hang out until closing and then wait at the bus station until the first bus at 7:00am. I arrived about 11:00pm and figured that I could easily kill 8 hours if required.

I caught a taxi and asked the driver to recommend a hotel, hopefully near the bus depot. He suggested instead going to Higuey as it is less expensive, the bus leaves at 5:00am instead of 7:00am and it's closer to Santo Domingo.

The taxi to the Cortecito area from the airport was to be $25 but for $35 he took me to a nice little hotel, Don Carlos, in Higuey very near the bus stop. The room was basic but clean and secure and 1000 pesos. He made sure I had a room and arranged for a taxi to pick me up there and take me to the bus at 4:30am.

SUCCESS!

I caught the 5:00am bus, which left on time, and was in SD about 8:00AM or so. I managed to get to the Caribe Tours, by taxi costing 100, pesos after trying it on foot but it is way too far and I was not certain where it was. Caught the 9:00am bus and was in Los Charamicos just after 12:40, 10 minutes late but happy! Flagged down a guagua and for 20 pesos was in Sosua minutes later.

You should have seen the look on Marco's face when I strolled in so early

to be continued....

Part II

it was an interesting trip from PC to Sosua but tiring. I'm flying back from POP to PC with a company called take-off. $119 one-way but worth it. a friend here thinks he knows of another company that flies for a lot less. if he gets me contact info I'll post it.

And here is one from PJU: Maybe better for you..
Direction for buses from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

This express departs every day from the Sitrabapu Terminal that is beside the New Politur Police Station in B?varo (Punta Cana), near the Friusa crossroads. The coach departs at 7:00 - 10:00 am and 2:00 - 4:00 pm daily. The one-way fare is RD$ 230.(My note, RD$230 = US$6.75 - US$7.00 at today's rates) The ticket office to the left of the building behind the banca. Tickets are sold on a first come - first serve basis. Plan to arrive at the ticket office ?-? hour before departure to secure best chance of a seat. It is about a 3.5 - 4.0 hour trip from B?varo to Santo Domingo. The coach trip is comfortable and just as reasonably safe as in a taxi but cheaper.

There are two main stops in Santo Domingo - Parque Enriquillo in the middle of the downtown commercial district (advise not to arrive after dark ) and at the terminal at the corner of Juan S?nchez Ramirez and Ave. M?ximo G?mez near the Nacional Supermercado and just a short distance from the National Theater and the American Consulate

Note: People who desire to go to Las Americas airport from B?varo may request the bus driver to stop at the crossroads to the airport. There is a nearby taxi stand where you can obtain the 1-2 km ride to the terminal.

This was posted by PJU on 2 November ‘05

Have a happy New Year and a lot of fun out east....:D:D:D

HB :D:D:D

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
By bus is best

Hi Jen,
The above post gives you all the basics for getting to Santo Domingo.
Count on at least 4 hours one way, so you may want to consider over nighting in SD if you want any real time to sight see. a number of threads give you info on reasonably priced hotels in SD.
Yes, Santo Domingo is definitely worth a day or so, and more, depending on what your interested in seeing.
Have a great trip.
Ken

PS How is my old home town, Edmonchuck