Gen Gas and deforestation?

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
I mentioned this to Chris in a PM and she suggested that I post the question.

There is a technology known as (among other things) Gen Gas power. It allows a modified gasoline engine to run on wood. A small amount of wood is burned in a chamber. The heat from this combustion heats the rest of the wood that then gives off combustible gases. The gases are then used to run the engine.

The thing is that the system can be designed to produce charcoal as a by product. The argument is that charcoal production is culturally and economically ingrained in many developing countries. With the charcoal pits, the gases go to waist. By capturing this gas with a well designed reactor, an engine could for example produce electric power. This argument means that the environment is better off because the gas is produced anyhow during the normal production of charcoal. We are just tapping this source.

I wanted some opinions on this. I am concerned that the added value of charcoal production could make production more attractive and increase deforestation.

Thanks,
Bruce

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Geez, but you ask difficult questions. ;)

What comes to mind from experience here and in Africa... Yes charcoal production is ingrained... but I think economically. Culturally I would hazard a guess that it is there, because of economic necessity. If you read studies of developing nations where specifically women are supplied with stoves that function with something else than charcoal, and is easier to use, or uses less fossil fuel, the 'adoption rate' of the new technology is high. The women use their stoves.

So, if there is a new clean technology that as a byproduct produces either charcoal, or some kind of electricity, I think the one that is easiest to use and integrate into the life of the people in the developing country, will be adopted. If there is no need for charcoal, people will not make it regardless.

My opinion only.. for what its worth....