US Dollar Account in the DR Interest?

EncoreFun

Dec 23, 2005
I'm sure this question has been asked before - but I have not been able to find the answer searching through the threads?
Can someone tell me what is the CURRENT interest rate offered on US Dollar Accounts in the DR. I was reading an article on the internet that stated that the rate was about 12% - that cant be right is it?
Also do interest rates work on Volume- meaning the more US money in your account(Savings Checking) the higher the interest.
The article stated that you could invest 100,000 US dollars and earn 12% interest and live off it? If you converted the US funds to RD you could earn 24% interest. Any heads up on these financial matters. I have a feeling the article I read is old- however it had no date on it?

What investment Vehicles are available in the DR as far as bonds and SAFE income type funds- do banks in the DR offer savings insurance like the US.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
12% may be about right. I don't know the rate now days.

I was thinking that if you had invested in the Central Bank a few months back when the exchange rate was 29 to 1....changed your dollars to pesos and your money was earning you say 21%....then the exchange rate goes to 34 to 1....that would be a 17.24% change and almost wipe out your investment earnings.

On the other hand if you moved into the Central Bank when the rate were 34 to 1 and the exhange rate went to 29 to 1...then you would be making out like a bandit. Of course it could go higher.

Is this correct thinking or am I missing something?

And has the Central Bank in recent years ever refused to pay anyone their money once they desired to cash out?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Yup, .....The Question has been asked MANY times

Try going into the search function & putting Anoeca in as the search word - you will get numerous threads to look at.

Your description of the article you read sounds very much as though you were in fact reading about Anoeca, except that the figures are slightly out of date. Being a Finance House (money lender that deals with BUSINESSES only - no knee-bashing techniques used by this company) they are not bound by the laws of the National Banks & can therefore pay interest at a higher rate than the banks. My understanding is that Anoeca pay from 8% pa for US $ accounts & the rates increase with the amount deposited & depending on the term of investment. 12% on US $100,000 seems high to me, that return should be for about US $200,000.

24% on US $100K converted to RS Pesos went away last year (unless Alberto has changed again within the last week) because when I went in on Friday od last week, the rate for RD $3 Million was around 17% pa (maybe he might stretch it to 18% or 19% pa if he had a long term agreement).

Good company to deal with - if you check the archives you will see I have been singing his praises since 1998. ~ Grahame.

Last edited: