Hospitals in Santiago

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
What are the names of biggest hospitals in Santiago? Is it easy to get a job at one of the hospitals if you are not a resident? I would be looking for something in interpreting or some type of social services. I do know they have an International Federation of Social Workers in Santo Domingo. Also, would it be pretty easy for someone to hang out a shingle as a family therapist/psychotherapist?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How fluent are you in Spanish? How much do you expect to earn, or what would you need to be sure of earning if you were to make a move?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have not stated your qualifications. What are they?

The biggest hospitals in Santiago are state-run and state-owned. Therefore, jobs are state appointments. And the pay is pi$$-poor.

There are four or five major medical facilities that cater to those that can afford to pay or who have insurance and can meet the co-payments. These are:
Uni?n M?dica del Norte
Instituto Materno Infantil
Centro M?dico Cibao-UTESA
Cl?nica Corominas
Clinica Bonilla

If you answer my first question, maybe I can guide you a bit more.

HB

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
I have a masters degree in clinical social work. I work in a hospital now, but have also done therapy. And most definitely I am aware that I will never get a salary equal to my salary in the US, so I would like to earn enough to pay my bills in the DR and keep my savings my savings. The majority of my patient's now are Spanish speaking and I co-facilitate a Spanish support group. I am pretty fluent in Spanish and pick up accents pretty quickly. My only weakness may be the different names for body parts, procedures, etc., in the DR.
I will be making the move in November of 2006 and was looking into moving to Santiago. I will be there 1/28-2/11 but I will be in Samana, traveling to Santiago for a few days. Thanks to all for your guidance.