POP Report

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
So as not to bore anyone, I'm just going to post a few highlights of my trip thus far.

I arrived in POP last Wednesday and settled in to the POP Beach Resort (I'll be honest and mention that it's not much of a resort. The sad thing is that with a little investment on the interior it could actually be a pretty nice place to stay). I sauntered over to Sam's bar to meet up with Carina and Joanne, have something to eat (I hadn't eaten since 4:30am, and had been awake since 2:30 am), and have a couple of cold ones to wash down the trip with. As always, it was nice to see some familiar faces and to connect. We chatted a while and I was able to convince a few people to down a couple of shots of some Don Julio Tequila with me. I decided to make it an early night as I had a few things to take care of the following morning.

I met up with Carina the following morning for breakfast at Sam's, and she took me to the bank to open an account. So, in the future, should I have a need to access some money, no problem. I feel a little more settled with each trip. That afternoon I met with the owner of the home which I am buying just to hash out a few last minute details. After that I actually don't recall what comprised the rest of my evening and, in all honesty, it had nothing to do with partying or drinking. I had to get up early the next morning so I did neither.

Friday morning I met with Carina for breakfast at 8:00am for our trip to Mao. I would have liked to have been fresh for the trip but the night before, though I got to bed at a reasonable hour, I was awakened at 1:00am by the sounds of what seemed to be bombs. I realized it was fireworks being set off by the locals. Unfortunately for me, I only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep before my trip, so this was the 2nd night for which I didn't get much sleep. At 9:00am Carina and I were off to Mao. It was a very beautiful drive through the countryside (Carina has posted some pictures) and, in spite of my tiredness, I enjoyed it very much. We spent the day with Christa and Richard, which was not only informational, but very enjoyable. On our return to POP, I noticed what I have heard so much about. Some of the most beautiful women are located in the hinterlands. We traveled through Navarete and some other smaller towns and, so help me God, I wanted to stop and speak to the women because they were so beautiful. They simply stood by the side of the road waiting for, I'm assuming, a ride. God, I love this country!!!!
In any event, I finally made it back to the hotel, rested up a bit, and headed over to Sosua for a night of partying. And a night it was. I believe I made it back to the hotel at 5:30am.

Saturday I decided to stay at the hotel and simply lounge around. One of the problems I had with the hotel during this time was that there was no cold water in which to take a shower. I was moved a few times, which was a bit upsetting as I had to repack my things, only to find out that the new room didn't have hot water either. So, I ended up going from one room that didn't have hot water, to another which didn't have hot water, air conditioning, or a mini-fridge, to another which didn't have hot water or a mini-fridge to, finally, one that had hot water and air conditioning. Good enough for me, and I finally decided to stay.

Sunday (New Years Eve) I decided to take it easy during the day but had planned to go out that evening with Carlos (the bartender from Sam's) who was going to take me to some of the tipico's. I wanted to get a feel for the real and typical Dominican life. I headed over to Sam's for dinner (where we agreed to meet) and ran into Sunnie and her significant other, Duarte. I will say, in spite of some other differing opinions, this guy is my kind of guy. Very laid back, respectable, and carries himself well. He epitomizes the type of Dominican that I knew existed in this society, despite his social status. I will most certainly catch up with the two of them on future trips just to hang out.
Carlos said that he had a few things to do before we could head out, so I decided to go back to the hotel to watch a little tv and kill a little time. A bad decision on my part. I went back to the hotel and laid down to watch a bit of tv and, the next thing I knew, I was waking up at 7:00am, the next morning. In all honesty, I wasn't angry with myself because I knew I must have sorely needed the rest. I very rarely get more than about 4 1/2 hours a night, so I knew if I had slept that long, I really needed it. I do feel bad though. One of the things that I have always prided myself on is staying true to my word because, in the end, I truly believe that that is what is most important. So, at some point in the future, I'll have to make up for it.

Anyhow, although there is more to say, I'll have to finish this up later. I hope all will enjoy.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Tony, you?re mixing the days...LOL
Wednesday - Friday fine. Saturday was new years eve. Sunday we went to Esquina and to Dawn.
But hey, that?s fine.It means you have had a good trip so far.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
carina said:
Tony, you?re mixing the days...LOL
Wednesday - Friday fine. Saturday was new years eve. Sunday we went to Esquina and to Dawn.
But hey, that?s fine.It means you have had a good trip so far.

I stand corrected.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Tony~

I'm so glad you're having a wonderful trip. My only complaint is that it's not long enough! I wish there were more people like you in the DR.

I hope you had a good time last night, I know that Duarte and I did. He thinks very highly of you as well. While I don't think very highly of the police force here, there are always exceptions.

Looks like you have a new friend!

See you soon darling,

Sunnie

Last edited:

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Hi Toni, hopefully we can meet next time you come, glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, and with a guide like Carina you can't go wrong.
Happy New Year

harlan

May 12, 2004
mao

hola,

wondering if anyone would comment more on Mao.

Was thinking of visiting same and desire to know more about the hotel there (blue azure sun sol water?) and how one would travel from Mao to Santo Domingo. Wife was born there and want to take her there to see what she remembers having left for US at age 7.

thanks harlan

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Aqua Azul is the name of the hotel I think.
You will for sure get more info from the members of this board that lives there.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Agua Azul is managed and run by Edward Santos, it's a family-owned and operated hotel. Phone numbers are (809) 572-6280 or (809) 572-6601

Stay well,
Amy

harlan

May 12, 2004
mucho gracias amy and carina

thanks amy and carina,

anyone who wants to add if this is the hotel previously referred to with no hot water; and what to expect as the ways and time to get to Santo Domingo from Mao, will also get some mucho gracias or bessame muchos.

gracias harlan

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Finished report

Before I finish this trip report, I need to make a correction to my previous report. The final paragraph, mentioned as "Sunday (New Year's Eve)" should actually read as Saturday.

Sunday
Anyhow, I relaxed Sunday morning by going to Sam's bar and having breakfast and shooting the breeze with some of the local expats. An interesting mix of characters. One of the things I've enjoyed more than anything during my trips to POP are the times I've been able to simply hang out and engage in discussion about everything and nothing. I find it relaxing.

After breakfast I decided to grab my map of POP and drive around town to familiarize myself with the place a bit more. It was a slow and relaxing tour, with very little vehicular and pedestrian traffic, as it was New Year's day and most of the businesses were closed. I also decided to run over to Rocky's in Sosua (been wanting to get back and have some more of them "World Famous" ribs). Unfortunately, it was too early and I had to settle for a cheesburger and fries. I had hoped to say hello to Marco but, although I was told he was somewhere on site, I decided not to bother him. Afterwards, I decided to head back to the hotel for a nap.

Although I was supposed to go over to Dawn's new home that evening for a housewarming party, I awoke from my nap feeling more tired than when I had gone to sleep. So, I called Carina and informed her that I would probably not be going to Dawn's that evening, but we decided to do a quick dinner instead. I also had to contact Escott to beg off that evenings affair, for which he was pretty understanding. However, as I gathered myself together and showered and got dressed, I started to feel a bit more awake and, after meeting up with Carina, we decided to make the trek over to Dawns new place in Sosua. What a beautiful place it is. It has a huge deck with beautiful views, and we were actuall able to see the lights of POP that evening. We also had some interesting conversation with some interesting people, and I finally had the opportunity to meet Rellosk, who was a really decent guy, in spite of our differences of opinion.:classic:

Monday

I had a brief meeting with the owner of the home I am buying to discuss some minor issues, and we spent some time making arrangements to transfer the utilities at the end of the month, when I take physical possession of the home. I have to say that I've been very fortunate to have come across this home, thanks to the assistance of Escott. It possesses everything that I was looking, and willing to wait, for. The location is perfect, the quality of construction is on par with what one would find here in the states, and the price is perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better deal. My advice to anyone who is looking/thinking about buying in the DR is to do your research via this board and other internet resources, take your time, and simply wait for the right deal to come along. I get the impression sometimes that some people, after having been bitten by the DR bug, are in such a rush to buy just so that they know they now have a piece of the DR, that they tend to make decisions that are detrimental. And, finally, take the time to make some friends who can be helpful. Homebuying can be a confusing and delicate process; moreso in the DR, it seems.

Anyhow, I took the rest of the evening off and relaxed.

Tueday

I got up that morning and ran over to Sam's for breakfast. Afterwards, I headed over to Sosua and met up with Scott. We had planned to meet with an attorney, as Scott has been helping me with the purchase of my home, but found it wouldn't be necessary. So, we stopped for a quick drink of orange juice and some good conversation. I always find it good to spend time with this guy. He has a unique percpective on issues, and is just a good all around guy to hang with.

Afterwards I headed back over to POP for lunch with Darlene (Planner). She took me to Hemingway's at the Playa Dorada where we had some good food and some great conversation as well. What a great place to eat. Although it had what one would consider US prices, it also had what I would consider US quality food. I'm going to have to make it a point to get back there during my next trip. I have always been under the impression that only people who were staying at the resort were allowed to use it's facilities, with the exception of the clubs in the evenings. I will make it a point to explore its dining venues in the future, as well as those of Costa Dorada.

That evening I headed over to Sam's for something quick to eat, and where I was to meet up with Sunnie and her boyfirend Duarte. I had been invited to go out with them that evening to LaCanita. What a blast it was. I had started a little early at Sam's with some Presidentes and some shots of Don Julio Tequila I had brought from the states. And besides, I had had a relatively quiet trip thus far. While there waiting to head out, I saw a pretty young lady who I decided to ask along and, of course, she was game. Now, I have never really danced to bachata, merengue, or salsa, because I don't know how. But, between myself, the pretty young lady, Don Julio, and Sunnie's urging, even I got out on the dance floor. I have got to learn how to do this a bit more. I really had a good evening and just alot of raw fun. Somehow I ended up with pictures of the girls with stuffed rabbits. Sunnie, you'll have to explain that to me later.:classic: Finally, I left Sunnie and Duarte partying the night away, and dropped the girl off in some barrio and, after getting lost on some dead end streets, was able to navigate my way back to the hotel.

I spent my final, full day just relaxing at the hotel, and went out for take out at a Chinese joint just down the street from the hotel that Darlene had put me up on. The food actually wasn't too bad.

On the morning of my departure I met with Jessie at Sam's for breakfast. Unfortunately, Bob, who was supposed to have joined us, had been involved in a one man motorcycle accident the previous day. As many of you who live in POP will know, they are re-asphalting the Malecon and had the streets torn up. Apparently Bob hit some of the gravel wrong on his bike and took a spill. Hope you mend well, Bob.

Overall, it was a good trip, and I got alot done. I made a conscious decision not to spend all of my time partying and, in fact, I believe I went out only a few evenings to party. I also got to see that there really is a live, vibrant community that exists in POP. Just your everyday folks who spend their days making a living and getting by day to day, just like one would find in every other community.

During my next trip I have to take possession of my new home, assuming that all goes well with the closing. I'll have to make some purchases, as is usually the case with any home purchase, and then I can spend a few days relaxing and enjoying myself. Enjoy.

amy25

Jan 10, 2006
hey. u seem to know what your talking about..can i ask a quick ?? im going to puerto plata next wk and im trying to figure out the money situation. a currency converter on the net told me that one canadian dollar is worth like 2,995 dominican pesos but what does that really mean? is a hamburger like 20,000 pesos? LOL plz help if u can. thanks a bunch:)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Take American dollars you'll end up with a better exchange. Don't use the online converter it's tagged to the US dollar but in reality you'll get very little at the exchange houses and banks in the DR. You definitely will not get 29 pesos per dollar.

by the way your figure would read twenty-nine point 995 NOT two thousand nine hundred and nintyfive pesos per dollar

BTW US dollar is around 32 to 33 pesos

Last edited:

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
harlan said:
thanks amy and carina,

anyone who wants to add if this is the hotel previously referred to with no hot water; and what to expect as the ways and time to get to Santo Domingo from Mao, will also get some mucho gracias or bessame muchos.

gracias harlan
Harlan, Caribe Tours http://www.caribetours.com.do/ has a station in Mao. I took the bus from Mao to Santo Domingo December 27. Safe, clean and comfortable, it took 3.5-4 hours and cost 5 or 6 dollars US.

As for Agua Azul, I stayed there for four nights over Christmas. If there were any alternative I would take it, maybe even a cabana (there was one not far away). In my opinion, Agua Azul makes the Europa in Sosua look like a 5-star luxury spa.

They accepted my credit card for payment and the rate was about $28US per night. At check-in I was issued one (1) thin towel. In the bathroom were no other towels, no hand towels, no facecloths, no bathmat.

There was also no hot water. I learned a trick, though. When I turned on the hot water faucet, the water was warmish at first and then got progressively colder. So I would turn on the shower just long enough to get wet, lather up fully, and then turn the water on again to rinse off. I usually made it before the water became unbearably cold.

There was a small TV fixed high up on the wall, with no remote. There seemed to be a satellite dish on the roof of the hotel, but the TV never got more than a couple of channels. On the best night I think the count was four, one in English.

There was a ceiling fan that didn?t work, but the A/C was OK. The room had a double bed, dresser, night table and a small round table with two chairs that was kind of squashed between the bed and wall. There was no mini-fridge or coffee maker. For some reason, the maid left a folded up top sheet in the room each day. It was apparently my job to actually put it on the bed.

Behind the hotel there is an absolutely huge, ?What the heck is this doing here?? pool and pavilion complex, which could easily accommodate several thousand people. The pool is enormous, with waterslides, etc., but the weather at Christmastime was a bit cool for the DR and I never saw anyone use it.

The hotel has a restaurant, but I didn't try it. In response to a question I posted, Chris recommended not to eat there. She did not elaborate.

I was very busy during my four days in Mao, basically using the hotel only to sleep and bathe, so I didn't complain about anything and don?t know whether it would have made any difference. There was one other thing, though, that no amount of complaining would have helped.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas Night, the open-air disco out at the pool complex was going full-blast, with several hundred people in attendance, well into the wee hours. Turning the A/C on full did very little to drown out the din. To add to the air of festivity, on Christmas Night a car alarm went off for well over an hour (I think between 2-3 AM) without anyone doing anything about it. I don?t know for sure, but I suspect that the disco is active every weekend.

All in all, it was one of those things you look back and laugh about. But as I said, If I go back to Mao I?ll be looking for alternative accommodations. At least the cabana doesn't have a disco right outside.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
amy25 said:
hey. u seem to know what your talking about..can i ask a quick ?? im going to puerto plata next wk and im trying to figure out the money situation. a currency converter on the net told me that one canadian dollar is worth like 2,995 dominican pesos but what does that really mean? is a hamburger like 20,000 pesos? LOL plz help if u can. thanks a bunch:)

Amy25, if you were talking to me, you're talking to the wrong person. I am in the early stages of learning these things myself. Sorry.

Sep 19, 2005
amy25 said:

Amy I would say on the average...thats average places to buy prepared food....you should be able to eat all week long and then some on 2,900 pesos

believe it or not , and i dont know why..it seems to me most places you can buy prepared and cooked food served to you almost as cheap as if you went and bought it all at the grocery store!!!!!!!!!1 especially the big super markets

I have taken my gf family out a few times for adinner with drinks. Thats 7 of us ... at an average resturant ,and the bill is 700-1000 pesos total!!!!!!!!!!

an example is a coke or soda....name brand will cost you about 25 pesos-35 pesos at a roadside store....as cheap as 20 pesos for a dominican soda. A presidente( bottle of beer) can be bought for as little as 70 pesos, solo

good luck

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hello Bob
amy thinks the Candian dollar is worth 2,995 pesos and a hambuger would therefore cost 20,000 pesos don't confuse her. :laugh:

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
A presidente( bottle of beer) can be bought for as little as 70 pesos, solo.

HI Bob, is 70 pesos in a corner store or at a typical bar? Last time we went it was around 60 pesos in a small bar. If in a bar, I agree, is is pretty cheap but if you spend 70 pesos for a beer at the corner store aprox US2.00 that would be kind of expensive compared to a buck a beer over here at the beer store, but of course around 4.25 canadian at a small bar. I guess will find out in February.

Sep 19, 2005
bertgilbert......I am just going from memory of what i have bought over there , to give her an idea of how far her money will go. And the presidente is a very larger bottle of beer!!!. I would guess it holds almost double what a can of beer holds.......but in truth I am neither saying it is a great deal nor saying its a rotten deal...just what i remember it costs.......and those prices were at roadside stores that sold a variety of food and and drink....a mini mart kinda ha ha ha ha....with lots of things i have never heard of before!!!! ha ha ha

bob