Margarita's in Sosua

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
While stumbling down Sosua beach last week, I came upon this bar. Intending only to have one drink, I forced :) myself to spend the entire day there.

The place is run by a young Dominicana who seems be working hard. She opened up last month and it still getting her act together. She seems to be running it on a very low or non-existent budget and doesn't have much of anything. The food is prepared by one of the other stalls.

For some reason it makes me feel good to see someone that has nothing try to make something of herself. It would be nice if some of you locals would stop by and have a drink. I know it's a long shot, but I would like to see the place still opened on my next trip.

The name of the place is Margarita's, although most of the signs still say "Bar International". It's in stall #39.

Thanks!

Although I doubt if she'll remember me, tell her Eduardo sent you.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Is her name Rosemary by any chance? I met someone like that actually working at a job at Sosua Beach - just curious because she was sweet and hard working.

It IS hard to tear yourself away from a good Margarita!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I will stop by in a few weeks to have a Margarita or two. Stall #39 would that be before or after the old Shark Bar #66? Assuming you are entering the beach from the main entrance off of Calle Pedro Clisante.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
hollywood north said:
Is her name Rosemary by any chance? I met someone like that actually working at a job at Sosua Beach - just curious because she was sweet and hard working.

It IS hard to tear yourself away from a good Margarita!
She says her name is Margarita. She also says that it is her place.

BTW, even though she has Margaritas on the drink menu, she couldn't get me one. I was 0-2 on the Margaritas:(.

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
I know her, her boyfriend pays the rent and she is running the bar. I thought it was funny, they couldn't make any of the drinks.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sure she is a Dominicana ? When I have passed it, all the girls there looks like Haitianas to me.

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
She isn't, I think one of her parents are, but she was born in Haiti or something.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
I will stop by in a few weeks to have a Margarita or two. Stall #39 would that be before or after the old Shark Bar #66? Assuming you are entering the beach from the main entrance off of Calle Pedro Clisante.
Stall #39 is before the Shark Bar. Most of the signs in the stall have the old name, "International Bar".

As I said to another, I doubt whether you will be able to get a Margarita, but please stop by anyway.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Kevyboy said:
I know her, her boyfriend pays the rent and she is running the bar. I thought it was funny, they couldn't make any of the drinks.
I kinda thought that her boyfriend set her up, the sign on the top of the stall is a dead give-a-way.

Unfortunately, it looks like he left her to sink or swim. As I said before, her drink choices are minimal and she doesn't even have a blender.

I kinda hoped that if I could get some of the Sosua locals to stop off for a drink before they go to their regular haunts, it might help generate some cash for her to buy the things she needs.

She's putting in 10+ hours days, 7 days a week. It would be nice to see her succeed.

Brooks

Sep 19, 2005
Im pretty sure she was born in Dajabon but im not sure if that makes her dominicana or not. I don’t think it matters where you are born but if your parents were legal residents.

Im friends with her boyfriend (my cousin actually) and I thought he was crazy for doing this. The word idiot was mentioned a few times by me but he does care about her and the more I think about it, it’s a great gesture because she has a reason to get up in the morning and a chance to make something of herself or at least learn some valuable skills along the way

It must be a long day for her as she comes in from Puerto plata by bus i assume but with wages so low for someone of her skill level she doesn’t have to make much to have a better life.

Unfortunately from the little I know about the beach bars in sosua, it seems to be very hard to be successful without something that makes you special so I think making a good margarita will be the starting point for her.

Imagine going to a bar in north America named margarita’s and not being able to order one LOL.

I had to push my trip back by a week so this will work out pretty well as I can bring her a blender and at least get her set up to make a great margarita.

Best case scenario it becomes another place I can make the rounds in the afternoon probably after the shark bar and before checkpoint.
Im really starting to get excited for my arrival next week.

Take care everyone.

michael

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
I'm in town now - and will stop by this morning to give her some business. Think she knows that the DR1 community might help her in her quest for success?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Brooks said:
Im pretty sure she was born in Dajabon but im not sure if that makes her dominicana or not. I don?t think it matters where you are born but if your parents were legal residents.
She might be of Haitian descent, but she doesn't speak French.

Brooks said:
Im friends with her boyfriend (my cousin actually) and I thought he was crazy for doing this. The word idiot was mentioned a few times by me but he does care about her and the more I think about it, it?s a great gesture because she has a reason to get up in the morning and a chance to make something of herself or at least learn some valuable skills along the way
The only crazy part of setting her up to run a bar is that her in jeopardy of getting hit on by every lush like me that walks in the place. To want to help someone succeed in life is admirable.

Brooks said:
It must be a long day for her as she comes in from Puerto plata by bus i assume but with wages so low for someone of her skill level she doesn?t have to make much to have a better life.
When she told me she commutes to PP everyday, I found that to be a little crazy. Not only does it cost her a relative fortune, but it makes her long day longer.

Brooks said:
Unfortunately from the little I know about the beach bars in sosua, it seems to be very hard to be successful without something that makes you special so I think making a good margarita will be the starting point for her.
That's why I'm trying to direct some DR1 traffic her way. I don't expect any DR1'ers to spend the day there, but if they could just stop by for one or two drinks, it might help until she gets her act together.

Brooks said:
I had to push my trip back by a week so this will work out pretty well as I can bring her a blender and at least get her set up to make a great margarita.
You're a Saint. She also needs to learn how to make them. I'm searching the internet for some directions (in Spanish) on how to make some unique drinks. I'll PM you the URL's when I find them.

Brooks said:
Best case scenario it becomes another place I can make the rounds in the afternoon probably after the shark bar and before checkpoint.
Im really starting to get excited for my arrival next week.
Thanks!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
macmasher said:
I'm in town now - and will stop by this morning to give her some business. Think she knows that the DR1 community might help her in her quest for success?
I mentioned that I would be posting something on the internet to tell everyone to go to Margarita's. I'm not sure she understood me.

Tell her you found out about her place on the internet, I'd be curious to hear how she reacts.

Thanks!

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
She doesn't have a Cedulla, that make me think she wasn't born in the DR. I was with her before she hooked up with the current boyfriend. I wasn't prepared to send her the $$ she wanted.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Kevyboy said:
She doesn't have a Cedulla, that make me think she wasn't born in the DR.
If she was born to undocumented Haitian parents in the DR she would be without a Cedula.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
When she told me she commutes to PP everyday, I found that to be a little crazy. Not only does it cost her a relative fortune, but it makes her long day longer.
Thanks!
20 pesos each way on the POP-Rio San Juan guagua. 30 pesos after 10:00PM by publico.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
She sure got a lot of good publisity here, so no it's just up to her to treat the customers well and doing a good job. Some of the locally owned beachbars tends to cheat some of the tourists once in a while, hope it not will happen here.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Kevyboy said:
I wasn't prepared to send her the $$ she wanted.
It looks like she putting the money to good use. Instead of hanging out in the discos all night, she's trying to make somehting out of her life.