Why Dominicans are hated by Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerby755

Jan 7, 2006
Based on what I have encountered, the reason for the Americans (white) to hate the Dominicans is the way they live and their pride. The Americans feel that they are superior than the Dominicans. That is when discrimination enters; Americans (white) favor their fellow American while they don't favor Dominicans. This fact is true today as many nationalities feel that they are discriminated in the US. The Asians particularly Filipinos get unfair treatment from Americans (white) so it is also possible that Dominicans get that kind of treatment.

Another thing is Americans get wrong perceptions about Dominicans. They think that the traits of Mexicans and Dominicans are the same. What they hate with Mexicans will also be carried over to Dominicans. If somebody disagrees, then you haven't experienced it but believe me, it will be bound to happen to you.

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
After seen the way many US dominicans behave i can't blame them. They have nothing to do with dominicans back at home. It's funny, but i've always found white americans to be nicer and behave better than blacks (i don't use that african-american bs).

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Huh?

Hello, good afternoon, and thanks for your post, but .... I have not once encountered an American who hates Dominicans.

On the other hand,some expats vent and complain a bit about living in the DR and some odd cultural differences, but I take that as said with love....

So, who are the Americans that you think HATE Dominicans? Where are they? I must live in another planet or something.

Thank you....

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
I consider myself a pretty typical American, and I've lived in a handful of Northeast and Midwest cities before semi-retiring to the DR. I can assure you that the great majority of North Americans have never met a Dominican, much less hated one. Yes, we white folks tend to like each other a bit more than we do "others", but things have changed an awful lot since the bad old days. I have strong evidence that lots of Dominicans prefer each others' company.too. They just don't get St. Patrick's Day at all, still haven't learned to treat themselves to to a proper diet of highly-processed food products, and wouldn't know Mantovani from Lawrence Welk. Isn't this a subtle form of discrimination, too?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The original post is a load of codswallop and based on what, exactly? One guy who if he is Dominican probably extends his attitude verbally and non verbally and deserves it.

How an average american would know a Dominican from Adam is beyond me.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
What Are You Talking About??

kerby755 said:
Based on what I have encountered, the reason for the Americans (white) to hate the Dominicans is the way they live and their pride. The Americans feel that they are superior than the Dominicans. That is when discrimination enters; Americans (white) favor their fellow American while they don't favor Dominicans. This fact is true today as many nationalities feel that they are discriminated in the US. The Asians particularly Filipinos get unfair treatment from Americans (white) so it is also possible that Dominicans get that kind of treatment.

Another thing is Americans get wrong perceptions about Dominicans. They think that the traits of Mexicans and Dominicans are the same. What they hate with Mexicans will also be carried over to Dominicans. If somebody disagrees, then you haven't experienced it but believe me, it will be bound to happen to you.
Ughhhh... most Americans have never met a Dominican (or don't believe they have.) Most Americans don't know a damn thing about the Dominican Republic. They know Jamaica, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, and that's about it! Outside of baseball (who fewer and fewer people watch already), you're not going to notice their presence in television, movies, print, or politics.

The only people who might have any issues or hate Dominicans are Puerto Rican-Americans, Mexican-Americans, and Cuban-Americans. The rest, don't care and many just label every brown-skinned, Spanish speaker a Hispanic/Mexican anyway.

-Helpmann :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
From time to time DR1 gets senseless posts such as this one.

It happens!

-NAL

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
It irritates my wife when people just assume she is Mexican and people at work ask her if she can make burritos, tamales, etc. She loves everyone but takes great pride in her ethnicity and culture. The only instance of racism/prejudice she has experienced has been from a couple of other people of hispanic origin who she works with. Detroit area has a large hispanic population (generally Mexican, Puerto Rican, and central american) near Livernois/Michigan Avenue area is the biggest concentration, but she hasn't experienced any racism from anyone being a dominicana so I don't think this is a great topic, probably only to stir up a hornet's nest. Heck, it shows how many Americans don't even know geography, when they ask where she is from and she replies, about 25 percent think it is in Europe or they may not know where the country is but they say oh, where the baseball players are from:) She will kill me for saying this, I hope no boricuas take offense, she works with one boricua who thinks they are better than Dominicans and lets her know that until my wife replied finally, " At least we have our own country we can call our own and you can't come close to making music better than us that you copy from us." She is a feisty dominicana:)

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
El_cubano said:
After seen the way many US dominicans behave i can't blame them. They have nothing to do with dominicans back at home. It's funny, but i've always found white americans to be nicer and behave better than blacks (i don't use that african-american bs).

Whoa! some sweeping generalizations and stereotyes here. Doesn't it make more sense to judge people on an individual basis?

ze

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
ze pequeno said:
Whoa! some sweeping generalizations and stereotyes here. Doesn't it make more sense to judge people on an individual basis?

ze

Of course not.........this is DR1.

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
El_cubano said:
I think EVERY race/nationality probably has a small percentage of what they may consider to be "embarrassments". Embarrassments who perhaps behave in a less than appropriate manner and or choose to make ignorant or racist statements. Unfortunately people who do not often venture out of their immediate environments can only generalize based on what is around them. Regardless, we all are certainly entitled to our own opinions. ;)

ripped1997

Dec 24, 2004
why do american hate dominican

because dominincan think that they better than black dominican show off to much dominican forgot they have african in them black dominican are the same only thing dominican spreak spanish black spreak english

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I've been living in the USA for a while and I never saw an incident where I thought a white person hated a dominican. I also never saw any comparisons ever being mad between a mexican and a dominican. I have seen situations where African Americans have acted like they hate dominicans. In New york there are discrepancies between black americans and Dominicans.

kerby755 said:

I dont think Americans hate Dominicans they may just hate your ignorant racist self.

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
badpiece33 said:
I dont think Americans hate Dominicans they may just hate your ignorant racist self.
I don't think that Kerby755 is being rascist. Re read what he/she is saying. They are simply giving possibilities of why this or that may be the case. It doesn't necessarily mean that these possibilities are his/her own opinions.

I am not attacking you. I just wanted to perhaps give you another perspective. Each of comes to the table with a variety of observations, opinions and experiences. I don't like or agree with them all, but I do try to see where that person is coming from. Take care.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I think one of the reasons you got the impression that americans hate dominicans is because white folks are not as friendly and as warm as dominicans. white people don't initiate a conversation with a stranger as readily as a Dominican would.They tend to be more selective with who they talk to and they would talk to you if you have some type of link to them. For example you're a co-worker etc. It can be easier to initiate a conversation with a stranger who is dominican because some white people feel that it is intrusive of you to try to talk to them when they don't know you. They might not even reply. A Dominican on the other hand, is more approachable and is more likely to lead you on with a conversation even if they don't know. That is why DR is richer in social life.

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
indiana16 said:
I think one of the reasons you got the impression that americans hate dominicans is because white folks are not as friendly and as warm as dominicans. white people don't initiate a conversation with a stranger as readily as a Dominican would.They tend to be more selective with who they talk to and they would talk to you if you have some type of link to them. For example you're a co-worker etc. It can be easier to initiate a conversation with a stranger who is dominican because some white people feel that it is intrusive of you to try to talk to them when they don't know you. They might not even reply. A Dominican on the other hand, is more approachable and is more likely to lead you on with a conversation even if they don't know. That is why DR is richer in social life.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but I think that it may be more of an American thing versus a race thing. True, Dominicanos have a certain "calor" that you don't find here in the states. I have family born and raised here who are considered distant and cold when they go to DR. Here many people tend to be anti social, keep to themselves etc. Heaven forbid you drop by their home or office unannounced! Alla en D.R. it's common to have people around all the time. When you are alone in a room watching T.V (which might be common here) there people see you as either sad or being anti social because it makes no sense to them why you would want to be alone. Alot of my cousins here have trouble adjusting when they go there. They feel like everybody is always in their faces and won't go away. After being there all summer and coming back here they feel "lonely" ;) ...go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.