What the Government May Have in Mind for the Trash Problem...

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I will watch the proposed instalations with great interest. Such plants are needed in many parts of the world, including Canada & the USA. Thanks for this! Canadian Bob.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
probable?

Dear Keith, Very interesting. I would love to see this proposal get off the ground with funding and some bidders. How probable is this? Thank you, suenos just waking up from nap. wahhhhhhhhhhh

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Can't See This Working In The DR!

First of all,the garbage must be picked up,and then transported to a location for processing.Now we all know(Those of us who actually live here,not just those who write about what it is like to live here from other countries!) the garbage in the DR,is just thrown into the streets where it is allowed to fester into a "slurry" of toxic mud!
My point is,this article is once again putting the proverbial cart before the horse!In a "Third World" country like the DR,you must first come up with a viable system of collection,before you start to recommend a "First World" solution like a "Trash to Electric" program.In case no one has noticed,the DR can't generate electricity using "Fosil Fuels",let alone "used Pampers"!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Criss Colon said:
First of all,the garbage must be picked up,and then transported to a location for processing.Now we all know(Those of us who actually live here,not just those who write about what it is like to live here from other countries!) the garbage in the DR,is just thrown into the streets where it is allowed to fester into a "slurry" of toxic mud!
My point is,this article is once again putting the proverbial cart before the horse!In a "Third World" country like the DR,you must first come up with a viable system of collection,before you start to recommend a "First World" solution like a "Trash to Electric" program.In case no one has noticed,the DR can't generate electricity using "Fosil Fuels",let alone "used Pampers"!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Stop making sense. Just build a metro.

Oh...and buy 20 more USD$17,000 Harley Davidsons for the corrupt cops.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Scandall

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yes, of course any viable & effective waste management system needs a number of elements, among them (1) reliable, frequent and broad collection services, not only for residential areas, but industrial and commercial as well; (2) a steady and adequate funding stream, preferably through a bill payment and collection system that actually works; (3) an adequate and properly controlled (in the sanitary management sense) disposal option, usually a landfill (as opposed to a dump).

Judging from what I saw and heard when in SD in August, and from what most people have been saying on this thread, the National District (DN) portion of Metropolitan Santo Domingo seems to be making improvements on collection and street cleaning. And although I did not get a chance to visit the site myself during my brief August visit, an environmental engineer whose opinion I trust tells me that the firm that the government hired to turn Duquesa from dump to controlled landfill has made significant strides.

Now if SD East, West and North could just clean up their acts, and more people be forced to pay their trash collection bills, then maybe there'd be more than modest progress to talk about! LOL But that looks like it's going to take awhile -- maybe until they lose their current mayors?

I don't by any means endorse the type of projects discussed in the article; I only posted it here for informational purposes since the topic was not covered in DR1 news.

But I do think it's not too early for the government to be thinking through how to cut the waste load and promote recovery, whether through promotion of reuse (as in a deposit/refund system for certain packaging), material recycling or energy recovery or some combination of those. These systems take time to conceive, create and must go along with a strong citizen awareness and education campaign if they are to have a real chance of succeeding.

And they do not necessarily have to be grandiose, expensive, capital-intensive investments like Dominican governments always seem to favor (probably because it means more money to graft). I offerred to share some ideas with the government on this, gratis, but they have not taken up the offer -- perhaps because they cannot trust someone not looking for a "commission." :ermm: Too bad, because I'm going to discuss some of the ideas anyway in the pages of the Green Team blog, whether they like it or not.

BTW, CC, I'm just as skeptical about WTE (waste-to-energy) project proposals in the DR context. In case you've forgotten just how skeptical, refresh your memory by looking at this post.

That said, unlike some, I refuse to throw up my hands and say "this is the DR, nothing can be done about it." If everyone does that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Keith: I apoogize - for not wording my question correctly. I expressed distrust of the offer, not what I meant to do, exactly ....

What I do think is that it is odd to see an idea offered up without bidding info and info about where the funding is coming from. Perhaps I am just naive, and maybe many projects are initially publicized in this manner.

Again, I apologize. I am hoping to hear that this type of announcement has been followed in the past with a bid process as well as inquiries into funding.

Thank you for the good posts! -- suenos

Jan 12, 2006
Careful with those "waste to energy" programs!!!
I guess it was around 1985 that a dump company from the U.S. "donated" trash to be recicled in Santiago and converted to electricity. After handing out several millions to some "regidores", the program was approved and the idead that the power failure solution was at had was sold to the people. After finding out that there was all kind of contaminants (including nuclear waste) in the "gifted" trash, SOECI started a big information campaign. The diario "Informacion" supported us and the contract was rescinded, not before we were accused of being a bunch of Communist, Atheist, Anti-progress, Environmental fanatics etc.etc.
If it is done right, it will be great. I am just wary.
Josia

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2006
After reading the comments made about the article in El Nuevo Diario, I agree in part with Luis Tuninetti from Argentina. Of course, the problem is very serious and need a solution , but "que no salga peor el remedio que la enfermedad". Burning of all kind of trash could send to the air "minutes particular matter" (PM). And if diesel is used for the plants, we must go for zero (??) emission. Diesel contains more than fifty pollutant, that causes all kind of health problems( check Environment Noth East at: www.env-ne.org/Diesel Emissions.htm).
Josia.

Richard J

Nov 17, 2004
www.tropical-coco.com
Jose A. Grullon Suro said:
Careful with those "waste to energy" programs!!!
I guess it was around 1985 that a dump company from the U.S. "donated" trash to be recicled in Santiago and converted to electricity. After handing out several millions to some "regidores", the program was approved and the idead that the power failure solution was at had was sold to the people. After finding out that there was all kind of contaminants (including nuclear waste) in the "gifted" trash, SOECI started a big information campaign. The diario "Informacion" supported us and the contract was rescinded, not before we were accused of being a bunch of Communist, Atheist, Anti-progress, Environmental fanatics etc.etc.
If it is done right, it will be great. I am just wary.
Josia

Hello Jose,
Are you familiar with the process of Thermal Cracking? http://www.gemcanadawaste.com/4436.html

From my limited knowledge of waste to energy systems this one seems to make the most sense for the DR.
Units could be installed locally to produce energy for their municipalities or any local industry with a high Energy consumption.

Richard J

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think, what all of us realize ----

Is that neither the industrial mechanisms, the real desire, nor the collection mechanisms are in place, nor are they likely to be in the near term.

Hate to throw cold water on all this discussion, but it seems to be an exercise in futility to me.

The Guvment ain't gonna fund nothin' they can't rake coin offa the top of!!!

Texas Bill

Jan 12, 2006
Thermal Cracking Info.

Richard:
Thanks for your information on Thermal Cracking.
I have very limited knowledge on this. It's up to the engineers to decide. I just hope that they do a good job, motivated by what is really good for the country, and not for per$$$onal gain. Enter the "Guvement" (Politician$$$) as Texas Bill said, and then it becomes almost imposible to do what is good for the Environment.
I share the skepticism (or is it cynicism?) with T. Bill. Nevertheless,we can't just cross our arms and keep ouR mouth shut. SILENCE GIVES CONSENT. We must do what we can to avoid the damage that could result if we leave the solution in the hands of business and political interest.
Even though we are not experts, we can educate ourselves and speak out. Sometimes the "experts" like so many Dr. Frankenstein, use their knowledge to create monsters that end up by destroying them and the people of the town. Let's at least try to hold accountable those that are suppose to represent the people.
Cheers.
Josia:ermm: