feeling alive...loving el campo

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
I just posted a message about just coming from DR and forgoto to mention something important.
I went to el campo (a farm, the countryside...etc) and bathed in a river that crossed it and WOW, did I feel alive.

I had not done that in about 10 years. every time I put my head in the water and came out I felt like a new person. I spent at least an hour just lying on a rock just looking up at the trees and the clouds and breathing. that was something!

when my cousing and I came back from the river, they had killed a rooster and cooked it. WOW, I had forgotten what it was like to eat farm poultry freshly killed instead of the usual pollo gringo (no offense to Gringos, pollos gringos are those lab grown artificial cheap poultry one finds in most places)

we ate oranges, sugar cane, among other things from the farm.

I FELT ALIVE!

I LOVE el campo

smitty

Jan 11, 2006
The second time I went to La Dominicana I left the resort and began a nice long hike. I remembered a few landmarks from my first trip. Across the road from Playa Dorada Complex is a dirt road the locals call Jerrasi. I walked that road for hours.

There were sugar cane fields, dense forrest areas, hills, a few homes and shacks. Then I came to a little Haitian town in the middle of nowhere. The residents there said they work construction jobs and farm jobs.

After passing through the haitian town, I walked further and crossed a very weak, ricketty wooden bridge. On the other side was, what appeared to be a water pumping station. Just beyond he station was a rushing river. El Rio.

As I approached the river, I noticed 2 teens downstream bathing and washing clothes. A Little further upstream a father and his 5 year old child were swimming in a deeper section of water. Without hesitation, I joined them.

I am a pretty good deep water swimmer. The environment there made me feel very relaxed. When I attempted to touch the bottom of that section of river, it was unreachable to me, (more than 20 feet). The 5 year old effortlessly dove to the bottom and returned with a crayfish of some kind. He offered it to me as a gift.

After swimming in El Rio for more than 2 hours I decided to leave in order to return to the complex before dark. As I descended down hill to Playa Dorada Complex, met and talked to several hotel workers walking home, (somewhere in el campo). Needless to say, since then, every time I go to the island, "Nadar en el rio' is on the top of my to do list.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
donrael said:
I just posted a message about just coming from DR and forgoto to mention something important.
I went to el campo (a farm, the countryside...etc) and bathed in a river that crossed it and WOW, did I feel alive.

I had not done that in about 10 years. every time I put my head in the water and came out I felt like a new person. I spent at least an hour just lying on a rock just looking up at the trees and the clouds and breathing. that was something!

when my cousing and I came back from the river, they had killed a rooster and cooked it. WOW, I had forgotten what it was like to eat farm poultry freshly killed instead of the usual pollo gringo (no offense to Gringos, pollos gringos are those lab grown artificial cheap poultry one finds in most places)

we ate oranges, sugar cane, among other things from the farm.

I FELT ALIVE!

I LOVE el campo

How did it feel when you had to take a dump in the woods using leafs for toilet paper? LOL>>> Just kidding

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
ahhhh those days

sorry to dissapoint you conchman, but there was none of that taking place.

when i was a kid growing up in DR we did that. God, that was bad, cause on we had to watch where we stepped so we didn't end up on a land mine...lol

Conchman said:
How did it feel when you had to take a dump in the woods using leafs for toilet paper? LOL>>> Just kidding

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
sounds like something to go on your mermoirs.

je je je

smitty said:
The second time I went to La Dominicana I left the resort and began a nice long hike. I remembered a few landmarks from my first trip. Across the road from Playa Dorada Complex is a dirt road the locals call Jerrasi. I walked that road for hours.

There were sugar cane fields, dense forrest areas, hills, a few homes and shacks. Then I came to a little Haitian town in the middle of nowhere. The residents there said they work construction jobs and farm jobs.

After passing through the haitian town, I walked further and crossed a very weak, ricketty wooden bridge. On the other side was, what appeared to be a water pumping station. Just beyond he station was a rushing river. El Rio.

As I approached the river, I noticed 2 teens downstream bathing and washing clothes. A Little further upstream a father and his 5 year old child were swimming in a deeper section of water. Without hesitation, I joined them.

I am a pretty good deep water swimmer. The environment there made me feel very relaxed. When I attempted to touch the bottom of that section of river, it was unreachable to me, (more than 20 feet). The 5 year old effortlessly dove to the bottom and returned with a crayfish of some kind. He offered it to me as a gift.

After swimming in El Rio for more than 2 hours I decided to leave in order to return to the complex before dark. As I descended down hill to Playa Dorada Complex, met and talked to several hotel workers walking home, (somewhere in el campo). Needless to say, since then, every time I go to the island, "Nadar en el rio' is on the top of my to do list.