Boca Chica

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
We enjoyed our stay at the Don Juan Beach resort five years ago. The beach is not that long but the water is nice and calm. At that time the resort provided a free shuttle service to Santo Domingo, which is about twenty minutes away. It is a 3* resort so as long as you are not expecting more I?m sure it will be fine. There may be someone else who can provide you with a more current report.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
There are 3 AI's in Boca Chica. The "best" , a term I don't normally use with any AI, because they are pretty sucky experiences overall, is the Hilton/Coral Hamaca, on the beach and private (illegally so).

Next is the Don Juan as it is actually on the beach however the beach is open to the public though they try with ropes and things to imply it is theirs (it isn't). Smaller and quite average, but I hear the "Captain's Club" rooms are worth a look, much bigger and nicer than the tourist class rooms.

Certainly a better choice than the sub-par Hotetur Dominican Bay (formerly Boca Chica Resort) which is not even on the beach but has constructed an elevated human aqueduct sort of thing to walk to the beach above the street folks. Very plain.

As long as the cost of the DJ is under say $100 a couple food and bar included it is likely an OK deal price wise - if more you would get more fun out of that $100 with a hotel and eating in the restaurants and bars in town such as they are. A nice beach hotel is the Don Emilio - you will see it as the next door neighbour of the Don Juan.

Sep 19, 2005
ricktoronto said:
There are 3 AI's in Boca Chica. The "best" , a term I don't normally use with any AI, because they are pretty sucky experiences overall, is the Hilton/Coral Hamaca, on the beach and private (illegally so).
QUOTE]

I stayed at the Coral _Hilton in Juan Dolio...I dont know if thats the Hilton ?coral Hamaca you spoke of, but it sucked i think. I had a few problems with the rooms and they were TOTAL jerks about it. The beach was very small and very close to the pool and patio( could be good and bad). I personally like a huge deep beach. The food was barely ok. but most of the AI I have stayed at, had poor food. I only stayed one night each time, so who knows how the food is over all at each of those places. Two had really really good food the four others were so sos. the window on our room would not lock! big slider easily accessable from the balcony on the room next door!!!!!!!!......the doors would not open with out a ton of effort and the water faucet would not work with the hot water in the bathroom sink!! give me a break.....I posted previously about them being jerks...i would hate to rehash that again.....bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I stayed at the Coral _Hilton in Juan Dolio...I dont know if thats the Hilton ?coral Hamaca you spoke of, but it sucked i think. I had a few problems with the rooms and they were TOTAL jerks about it.
The Hamaca is in Boca Chica, not Juan Dolio.

vincyo

Jan 5, 2006
Magog, Quebec, Canada
the deal is 1000$ all included + plane. 7 days

how is the nigth life over there, is it possible to have visitors at the Don Juan...

how are the girls in Boca Chica?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
vincyo said:
how is the nigth life over there, is it possible to have visitors at the Don Juan...

Here's my report from when I was there last month. Since then, I've heard rumors that the the new disco closed down. Makes sense since it was pretty much dead when I was there.

As far as bringing girls back, my guess is since this is an AI you would probably have to pay a substantial guest fee. If you need a place to bring a girl, I've been told that there are some hourly motels right on Duarte.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
vincyo said:

Professionals and not very good looking. The first part is subjective, the second is not.

Boca Chica and Sosua are pretty well known as the prostitute capitals of the island. There are plenty in other places but not to the same degree and not as well known as these two.

BC has been "cleaned up" pretty dramatically in the past 12-18 months. Which is a double-edged-sword. The local authorities and some business owner decided they didn't want to be known for what they were known for. So they flushed out the whole town and much of the local economy with it. They seem to be searching for a new identity. Very slowly. The "pros" went North to Sosua where they practice their craft with relatively little hassle.

If that's what you are looking for, it's your business. If you are looking to meet someone for more than a quick fling, you will find the women in Santiago and Santo Domingo to be more educated and gainfully employed than their counterparts. Less pros, less sleaze. There are exceptions but we are speaking in generalities.

Some will not like my post. Sorry, but perceptions are reality.

Scandall

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
rellosk said:
Since then, I've heard rumors that the the new disco closed down.
Piano Plaza Discoteca Caribean (nee Route 66) was open as of December 30. What nighttime activity there is seems to center around it and La Criolla, next door. Cosmos and Zanzibar are still closed, though oddly the Cosmos sign is occasionally lit up at night. I've heard that Discoteca Burbujas is dead now due to the mini-revival of streetlife.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I stayed at the Coral _Hilton in Juan Dolio...I dont know if thats the Hilton ?coral Hamaca you spoke of, but it sucked i think.

Since Juan Dolio is not Boca Chica, no.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
vincyo said:
the deal is 1000$ all included + plane. 7 days

They are dead set against guests unless they are registered in the room at the time (e.g. of the reservation). I think they won't even let you do the add a guest for one night - in any case since the cost has been in the US$60 range per day, that is a pretty high price to pay for what you could get for $30-$40 with another hotel room in a tourist hotel.

Sep 19, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Since Juan Dolio is not Boca Chica, no.
well the reason I offered it , is it seemed pretty close to Boca Chica to me. We went into Boca Chica at night from our hotel one night and it was a very short drive.......so I went ahead and offered my thoughts in case it was the same place mentioned...... it WAS hard to believe they would have hotels of the same brand so close...

but i do realize that there were plenty of Occidental hotels in the Playa Dorado complex...so it is possible others in diffeent areas are as close.

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scandall said:
Professionals and not very good looking. The first part is subjective, the second is not.

Boca Chica and Sosua are pretty well known as the prostitute capitals of the island. There are plenty in other places but not to the same degree and not as well known as these two.

BC has been "cleaned up" pretty dramatically in the past 12-18 months. Which is a double-edged-sword. The local authorities and some business owner decided they didn't want to be known for what they were known for. So they flushed out the whole town and much of the local economy with it. They seem to be searching for a new identity. Very slowly. The "pros" went North to Sosua where they practice their craft with relatively little hassle.

If that's what you are looking for, it's your business. If you are looking to meet someone for more than a quick fling, you will find the women in Santiago and Santo Domingo to be more educated and gainfully employed than their counterparts. Less pros, less sleaze. There are exceptions but we are speaking in generalities.

Some will not like my post. Sorry, but perceptions are reality.
Your observations are on the button. (Except I think "subjective" applies to the latter, and not the former in your first sentence).

The only point that I would like to add is even though Sosua is known for the sex capital of the DR, it and the surrounding area offer a lot more than Boca Chica did in its prime. It's going to take a lot of investment to get Boca back on it's feet.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Victor Laszlo said:
Piano Plaza Discoteca Caribean (nee Route 66) was open as of December 30. What nighttime activity there is seems to center around it and La Criolla, next door. Cosmos and Zanzibar are still closed, though oddly the Cosmos sign is occasionally lit up at night. I've heard that Discoteca Burbujas is dead now due to the mini-revival of streetlife.
When I said it was rumored that the new disco was closed, Discoteca Burbujas is what I meant.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
well the reason I offered it , is it seemed pretty close to Boca Chica to me. We went into Boca Chica at night from our hotel one night and it was a very short drive.......so I went ahead and offered my thoughts in case it was the same place mentioned...... it WAS hard to believe they would have hotels of the same brand so close...

bob
Coral now Hilton is in a few spots but the Hamaca is definitely in Boca Chica and the name of the resort in Juan Dolio, beats me. The Hamaca is as posh as you are likely to find in an AI in that area.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
rellosk said:
(Except I think "subjective" applies to the latter, and not the former in your first sentence).

It was sarcasm. As if their professionalism was debatable but are so ugly that nobody could disagree.

Scandall

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Oh.

rellosk said:
When I said it was rumored that the new disco was closed, Discoteca Burbujas is what I meant.
It could very well be true. I didn't check it because I hated the place. It was a shark tank with you tossed in as raw meat. The drink prices sucked, too.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Victor Laszlo said:
It could very well be true. I didn't check it because I hated the place. It was a shark tank with you tossed in as raw meat. The drink prices sucked, too.
The shark tank analogy applies to most of the Boca Chica nightlife, less so nowadays.

I did notice the drink prices were exorbitant. They seemed at least 50% higher than anywhere else.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was there this past fall and it has become more like the "toilet tank of the Carribean." Sosua / Cabarete are like Nice compared to B.C.
There is no reason to be in that town.