Sorry to See Someone Give Solar Power a Bad Name...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
From Today's DR1 News:

8. Solar fiasco
The Chamber of Accounts has ordered the Ministry of Industry and Commerce to rescind the two contracts with a solar energy company that had been entrusted with providing energy to 12,000 rural dwellings. The government agency sent an audit to the Attorney General's office about the contracts signed by former minister Sonia Guzman de Hernandez, under the Mejia government, and by Francisco Javier Garcia, current minister of Industry and Commerce.
The review shows that Tecnicas Energeticas Solares (Tecsol) underwrote a first contract for the installation of solar panels in 2,000 dwellings in 14 provinces on 29 December 2003, but only delivered 1,249. The Chamber of Accounts determined that the company received RD$13,685,046.28.
Despite not fulfilling the agreement, the company was awarded a new contract for RD$368,401,532 under the new government. Industry and Commerce Minister Francisco Javier Garcia entrusted the company to provide 10,000 dwellings with energy. The company has already received RD$45 million as part of this second contract.
In a report in Diario Libre, Jose Antonio Rodriguez Jimenez, president of Tecsol, says that the authorities were satisfied with the work done during the first contract.

Anybody know anything about these Tecsol people? Who's their main alternative(s) in the DR market? Who are the trustworthy providers in the DR market? How do we know who to trust? Is there any type of certification system, or standard the consumer or contractor should be looking for?

Tom F, any suggestions?

Jan 5, 2006
Well, knowing how thing operate in DR, I would bet that one of 2 things happened with that original contract under Mejia's governemt:

1. Someone in the government pocketed $5,138,732.52 pesos or

2. 751 homes of people connected to the government got free solar panel

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Still leaves my other questions:

Who are the trustworthy providers in the DR market? How do we know who to trust? Is there any type of certification system, or standard the consumer or contractor should be looking for?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Keith R said:
Still leaves my other questions:

Who are the trustworthy providers in the DR market? How do we know who to trust? Is there any type of certification system, or standard the consumer or contractor should be looking for?

In the DR? Is the story not Let the Buyer Beware! :classic:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chris said:
In the DR? Is the story not Let the Buyer Beware! :classic:
I think you're being a bit too glib, Christa. Yeah, caveat emptor applies everywhere, even in the US and Europe.

But surely you aren't suggestng that no certified products/services are trustworthy, just because they are sold in the DR? What about the products you sell and the services you provide? Mr Mike's? Coastal's? Any of those known here on DR1?

and BTW, the new Consumer Protection Law might gradually change things.

Back to the questions, which I ask in all seriousness. There must be people selling solar in the DR with a good track record. Who are they?