reflections on gun ownership in the DR and other related things

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
This post is partly in response to the recent tragedy in Puerto Plata where an Austrian man lost his life defending his home from a well known local robber.

I am grateful for the sacrifice made by the Austrian in taking out this trash, even if it was an unintentional sacrifice. The situation has given me to reflect on the following.

OK first of all, I do not own a gun. The reasons are varied, I suppose the biggest one is that I have never gotten around to getting one, I loathe paperwork and all unnecessary dealings with DR officials. (so hard to wash the grime off afterward) But it hasn't been a top priority for me because I consider my wits to be my best weapon, certainly one I have learned to use effectively, while a gun may be a more decisive and effective tool I simply lack the experience and training to be behave in any predictable manner with a gun in my hand.

I have spent countless hours killing millions of tiny people (and evil aliens and monsters, as well) in computer games but something tells me this may not count.

Aside from this fact about myself I think it is important to point out two important factors about life in the DR and how it differs from a functional first world society as far as the availability and effectiveness of police protection.

1) The DR is very much a developing country, and most first world amenities are do-it-yourself and bring-your-own. For many this may mean owning and using a firearm. Particularly if you enjoy a standard of living that is likely to be enviable by the locals it is most likely wise to own a gun, and to make it known that you own one. Criminals are cowards and they want your stuff but they don't want to die for it.

Personally I am in favor of people everywhere owning guns, but I concede that there is ample room for debate on this topic in functional, advanced societies, here in the wild west however it's another matter entirely, those who do not wish to handle a gun should at least hire armed guards or a security company to watch their homes and businesses, as I do.

2) Apprehending a robber in your house involves a layer of complexity that I only thought of this weekend.

There are really no secrets on this island, at least not for long. If there are robbers and thieves operating in an area you can bet the police know who, where and when. The DR is one-stop shopping when it comes to things corrupt, you've got your police, military, government, and crime syndicate all in one neatly wrapped package.

So, if you find a robber in your house, chances are he's in business with the police, and they are getting a cut. If you think you are going to hold him at gunpoint until the police arrive and take care of him, guess again. The police are most likely going to shoot him at the first opportunity to prevent him from publicizing his past dealings with them, and he knows this. So you are basically cornering a dangerous amoral predator with nothing in the world to lose. If you're one of few people prepared and equipped to deal with a situation like this, good for you. If not you might want to think along the lines of survival, because that's what your intruder is thinking about.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Good post Sir Mike.

I have recently decided to go with an alarm system, one that makes a hell of a lot of noise. Somebody may be able to get into my house but I doubt they'll stay long if an alarm goes off calling to all the other houses in the neighbourhood. Luckily we're in a small neighbourhood with many houses close by.

I'd like to buy a gun but will only do so once I know how to use one correctly.

Police? HA!

Stay well,
Amy

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Not a fan of guns

I'm not a fan of guns. The purpose of a gun is to kill. While I do believe that if I had to, I would kill, I don't believe a casual user would be lucky enough, in most instances, to use the thing properly. I've also heard too many stories of even those trained in the safe use of guns to make mistakes that end in tragedy. I'm not one to preach gun control, but the things scare me half to death.

I must admit to being a little nervous when I travel (outside of Canada), knowing that anyone may be carrying, and could use a gun at any time. Finding spent shells on the beach startled me.
We've seen careless use of guns in Pennsylvania, big dope shooting at a deer on the front lawn around midnight, when we are all out on the driveway.
I'll take big dog(s) and alarms for my safety.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
amy2761 said:
I'd like to buy a gun but will only do so once I know how to use one correctly.

Amy

Amy~

If you need a good teacher, I know a girl! ;)

Great post, Mr. Mike.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Guns? Mace? Pepper Spray?

* An excellent post, MrMkike. Well thought out. Well expressed.
* I'm coming around to your point of view, after 9 years in the DR, mostly POP.
* Food for thought: will Mace or pepper spray serve the same purposes, or close to them? Both are legal & cheap in the DR, & available in hardware stores.
* By 'gun', I assume that you mean a hand gun; a shot gun? Sawed off shot gun? Better, potentially better, or just more problems. are the any firing ranges in the DR where former non-gun users can take lessons & practice? Prices?
* If 1 lives with a DR femle, for X years in contentment, better to put the gun in the name of the DR female? Similar experiences?
* Any experienced gun users, or gun owners - legal or illegal - in the DR care to respond? Thank you.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I own 2 hunting riffles, antique ones in good working order handed down through family, so i can't say that i haven't a gun in the house. On the other hand i don't rely on them as a means against intruders. The reason being that chances are that the other party is quicker than i and to harm him you have to be in the same room as the guy. As we all know this can end in a disaster. Not chicken only realistic. I count for my safety on my dogs. The reasons are:

a) They are mobile: an alarm system is fixed in the house and can't be easily taken with you and won't protect you while you're in the street

b) If nessecary they can be sent in to do the job while you are at a safe distance. e.g. just befor last christmas i came home and found the christmastree lying on the floor, so my immediate thought was that there was someone in the house (and not clumsy me that had knocked it down while leaving the room) I simply send my dog to do a "search and bark" which he did (he even looked beneeth the bed) If he had barked the command attack would have been given without hesitation, the result would have been at least a ruined knee and i wouldn't have been in the nieghbourhood of the vilain. If you send 2 dogs and they work as a pack the result would have been "terminal"

c) They are for the villain a small and fast moving target and for the owner "replacable" if necessary

d) as such they are a deterrant. Villains seach easy prey and tend to avoid dangerous prey. Only fools or people whith extreme knowledge and protection enter a house with more than one trained dog.

My 2 pesos

Greetings

Johan

Dec 21, 2005
Well said Mike, been here for 14years.Never ever wanted a gun but my House has been emptied twice ,so igot myself two good Doberman every now and then the dogs would start barking as someone was hanging around the homes round here , so i went out and got a second hand barrette and my permits ,carried it around so every one could see it and now the dog bark only when another dog comes around, the streets are quiet now.What I'm trying to say is its a good deterrent Dogs and maybe a gun .If you are interested there will be a few Doberman up for sale you are welcome to come round and see the parents within the next week she is due to bare her pups

cork

Aug 23, 2003
guns

gringosabroso said:
* An excellent post, MrMkike. Well thought out. Well expressed.
* I'm coming around to your point of view, after 9 years in the DR, mostly POP.
* Food for thought: will Mace or pepper spray serve the same purposes, or close to them? Both are legal & cheap in the DR, & available in hardware stores.
* By 'gun', I assume that you mean a hand gun; a shot gun? Sawed off shot gun? Better, potentially better, or just more problems. are the any firing ranges in the DR where former non-gun users can take lessons & practice? Prices?
* If 1 lives with a DR femle, for X years in contentment, better to put the gun in the name of the DR female? Similar experiences?
* Any experienced gun users, or gun owners - legal or illegal - in the DR care to respond? Thank you.

I hear you can put the gun in the name of your corporation. The police cannot put a company in jail.

Stun guns, pepper spray and the likes are less lethal, but you still have to deal with a ****ed off burglar.

With a gun used properly and effectively, there is only one liar on the stand in court.

cork

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
cork said:
With a gun used properly and effectively, there is only one liar on the stand in court.cork
I LOVE IT SO MUCH. hmmmmmmmmmmmm Hope it's not the bad guy.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Unquestionably, your best post, MrMike.
The bottom line is that one has to take care of setting up his own security perimeter, be it with or without a gun.
I have found that a few 12 gauge flare guns, are handy to keep around.
Reloading takes too much time, so that's why I have a few of them.
Dogs are great as well, and a reputation for being the type of guy who will fight back, can go a long way, as a deterrent.

Sep 19, 2005
there are a few trains of thought on this subject...and it can get emotional on both sides. Being a human with a working brain I can understand truths and facts. being a reasonable person I can also aknowledge when others that have valid points....( a trait that is not nearly often enough given back). I am a gun owner not only do i like them I think they have place in any civilized society. Knowling that all civilized society's have elements of evil. I think there is something to be said about someone not owning a gun for self protection when they are timid about even owning one..much less using it. I have always thought dogs were the biggest deterrant to crime. But owning one doesnt automatically make a case that it has to be used. You can own a gun and just wait till the ntime you feel comfortable using it. or you can choose to not use it when the time comes..play your cards and just let the bad guy take the stuff......having the gun gives you the OPTION.....which is always beneficial... the OPTION..isnt that great..... if you live out away from the beaten path, just shooting your gun regularly will keep the nastier folk away...just like a barking dog does.

but it brings with it the need to a cool head.....people that get hot headed best leave the gun alone. I seldom if ever carry my pistol out in america. Its good thing, because i have never REALLY needed it, but a few times i got ****ed enough or harrased enough that I might have been stupid enough to pull it out to "calm" things down...and thats when things get dangerous.....

its a desicion thing like drinking and driving...millions do it, they just say..ok no more..or i am ok......the people that dont know their limits should not have been drinking in the first place....... responsiblility comes in all forms

the OPTION is a good thing to have

bob

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
Unquestionably, your best post, MrMike.

Agreed. It is refreshing to read such a clearly written post free of all the usual hype. I am a gunowner myself, with several Glocks, Smith & Wessons, and Ruger handguns along with a number of rifles and shotguns. I truly believe that the shotgun is the premier home defense weapon among firearms.

But my first line of defense for the home will always be a large, well disciplined dog (or two) for all the aforementioned reasons.

Ironically at our ranch in the DR, the guns were only used against dogs (free-roaming, calf killing mutts) and a couple of rabid cows!

Again, good post and lots of good responses. :)

Swede

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Gun For SHOW,DOGS For GO!!!!"

I have a "Mossberg"12 ga. with an "assault" stock.I "parade" around my yard at times,and fire a round or two into the air every few weeks!Shooting a thief:bandit: is not a good idea! You will at least spend time in jail until things are straightened out with the police.My nextdoor neighbor is a General in the "Policia National".He said to "scare" them rather than shoot them.A few shotgun pellets in the ass at 60 yards won't kill,but it will be a reminder not to return! You kill someone and then you must deal with his family and friends later.I would "shoot-to-kill" only if I,or my family was in danger.Such as someone breaking in the bars on a window or door!
Now the dogs.Have at least two.The bigger the better.Leave them outdoors.Don't feed them by hand.You want a "pet",get a "Lapdog" for inside the house!
"LIGHTS",the more the better.Some on "Inversor" power,some on motion detectors.
Best "protection" is to absolutely NEVER leave your house unattended!
CCCCCCCCCC