Tapping The Tourist Flood to the Beaches in High Season...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
This is copied fair use from TierraAmerica at the following website:
http://tierramerica.net/english/2006/0114/iecobreves.shtml

ARGENTINA: Protecting Beaches During the Summer Season

BUENOS AIRES - Umbrellas, brochures, stickers and garbage bags are being distributed as of Jan. 14 amongst the visitors to the beaches of Buenos Aires province as part of an awareness-raising effort about protecting the environment in Argentina's resort areas during the Southern Hemisphere summer.

The campaign -- "The Environment Means Commitment" -- was launched by the province's Secretariat of Environmental Policy.

The materials will also be handed out to travelers at highway toll booths, and the government will have mobile units on the streets of the Mar del Plata and San Bernardo resorts.

"The idea is to take advantage of the high flow of tourists visiting the beaches in January and February, many of whom are young, and to raise awareness of the importance of preserving our natural resources as part of the country's national heritage," secretariat spokesman Facundo Arrechea told Tierram?rica.

Hmm, perhaps something like this could be done in Sosua, Cabarete, Boca Chica, Bayahibe and Punta Cana?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Let me also toss in this idea, which I am looking into (by emailing the folk involved for more info, and if that doesn't work, knocking on their doors when I'm in Montevideo in March) for a possible Green Team blog:

Desde hace varios a?os, la IMM a trav?s del Grupo de Educaci?n Ambiental desarrolla durante los meses de verano en la costa de Montevideo, el "Programa de Educaci?n Ambiental en las Playas".

El programa consiste en una serie de charlas y actividades educativas con caracter?sticas l?dicas que se realizan en las distintas playas de nuestro departamento. En dichas actividades se trabajan diversos temas ambientales as? como especialmente lo que refiere a las medidas preventivas respecto a las radiaciones solares y el cuidado de la limpieza de nuestras playas.

Una renovada propuesta de juegos, permite a los m?s chicos divertirse, jugar y aprender acerca del cuidado de nuestro ambiente.

Las actividades se realizan entre las 17 y las 19 horas

The above is taken from an official anouncement from the Montevideo mayor's office responsible for environmental education. In a nutshell, it says that every summer they organize daily activities in different sections of the beaches along Montevideo Department's shoreline that are fun but also have an environmental education component. I wonder if the mayors of Santo Domingo East (which includes Boca Chica), Puerto Plata, Sosua and Carabete could be persuaded to organize something similar, especially if it cost them little to nothing to "sponsor" because it would use trained volunteers and simple materials?